Iron Skillets

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Evan Burck, Jul 4, 2011.

1. jumbo215 Jasper hickman

lake forest park, wa
    Ratings: +4 / 0

Lumberjack pancakes at that guys house!
  2. coinman New Member

Addison, VT
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Got any good lumberjack pancake recipes you would like to share that cook up good in cast iron?
  3. P.Dieter Just Another Bubba

Seattle.
    Ratings: +153 / 0
    This one is yet to be beat in my family

2 cups flour
    1 tsp soda
    2 tsp b powder
    2 tblsp sugar
    2 eggs
    2 cups buttermilk
    1/2 cup milk
    3+ tblsp melted butter

1/2 recipe works for my family of three
  4. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +695 / 5
    Yup, have to turn sideways. It's a WWII issue griddle. Cooking in the field. :) Mine is marked Wagner, but most were marked US Army 1943
  5. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    I just make plain old pancakes with Krusteas, but add melted icecream in for the water (trick I learned from a friend). But growing up, we always had corncakes. Wish I had a recipe, but my Dad always made them with amix of cornmeal, flower, and some other ingredients.
  6. Mark Walker Active Member

So. Cal.
    Ratings: +229 / 1
    These are pretty fair. Like the blue corn/sour milk personally.
    If you don't have sour milk on hand, you can add a just "hair" more than a teaspoon of lemon juice or vinegar and let the milk sit for 10/15 minutes. When it starts to "curddle" it's ready to add.

1 c. boiling water
    3/4 c. yellow or blue cornmeal
    1 1/4 c. buttermilk or sour milk
    2 eggs
    1 c. unbleached or whole wheat flour
    1 tbsp. baking powder
    1 tsp. sea salt
    1/4 tsp. soda
    1/4 c. canola oil
    4 strips bacon, fried and crumbled.
    Pour water over cornmeal, stir until thick.
    Add milk; beat in eggs.
    Sift together flour, baking powder, salt and soda. Add to cornmeal mixture.
    Stir in salad oil and bacon bits.

Bake on humongous hot griddle.:rofl::thumb:
  7. Slipstream Member

Goldendale, WA
    Ratings: +21 / 0
    Jerry, Is that the US Army backpacking model? SS
  8. joellirot Member

vancouver,bc
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    Good place to ask a question. Sometimes you can find older cast iron stuff - but it's been mistreated and is not in good shape. Crusty patina or light rust seem pretty common. Any thoughts on how to clean up older stuff? I've also abused some stuff and gotten light rust on it in the past - same question - what's the best way to clean it up. if it's not cleaned up properly the next layer of 'patina' just lifts off.

and, on the stuff that I've gotten going well (just cheap stuff - I'll start looking at yard sales for older stuff to play with :), I always oil after cleaning. I bought some lard and that's by far the best. if you don't have or can;t get lard - use a piece of bacon and wipe everything down after drying. i found that the oil will go rancid after a while (not so much with the lard). if it gets a little rancid just put it on the grill and heat it up for a while. Then i would store it dry.

I'm sure sandblasting would be a good method for cleaning up - but i don't have a blaster and it seems a little over the top. :)

just my 2 cents worth - from the rookie.
  9. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,701 / 2
    Use a good porter or stout in place of water on your pancakes. They come out fluffier, and way awesome. For fruit pancakes, I like using Rodenbach Grand Cru to whip them up. mmmmm... Getting breakfast ideas for the weekend now.
  10. Mark Walker Active Member

So. Cal.
    Ratings: +229 / 1
    Maybe add some craisons and pineapple................:rofl:
  11. bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Montana
    Ratings: +215 / 1
    You just won't let this die, will ya?:rofl::rofl:
  12. Upton O Blind hog fisherman

out of state now
    Ratings: +221 / 0
    I do know that nothing cooks real cornbread better than an "iron spider". And, by cornbread, I mean the real stuff that doesn't have a load of sugar in it, the cornbread that is used to sop up the gravy and grease of a great meal. My cast iron oven is also great for making a good roux, too, but I imagine that is the topic for another thread. And I second the comment about never using soap to clean your cast iron, just hot water and a plastic scrubber (or clean sand if you're in the bush).
  13. bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Montana
    I've never personally laid eyes on a Griswold spider but I would love to own one. I'm sure I'll walk into a garage sale some day and they will have a full set of spiders, a '48 Panhead, a full set of Sage 500 series reels and about ten Garrison bamboo rods in unfished condition.....Take all for $50!
    Jeff Dodd likes this.
  14. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    LOL, sure is. It was specially designed for Paul Bunyon. LOL.

Actually, they used it in Jeep crews/platoons. So was carried in a vehicle. Damned thing weighs 75#'s. LITERALLY.
  15. bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Montana
    Jerry, maybe covering a vehicle with iron griddles was an early form of armor!!!!
  16. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    I don't know if I want CI for armor. I know how easy they break dropped on the ground. Not sure I want a big caliber hitting it as my only protection. LOL
  17. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +569 / 0
    Thanks for this post! Kool.