Is anyone not fishing a two-hander?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Panhandle, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Kevin Giusti New Member

Fort Bragg,Ca
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I own and fish single handers,switch rods and spey rods. I use whichever setup I think will allow me to fish the water most effectivly. But you could put me on the best steelhead run in the world and give me the very first rod I ever owned, my good ol snoopy pole, and I will fish that water with as much concentration and to the best of my abilities as I would any other rod. 10' single speys with big lead eye bunnies all day, maybe even push it to 12' when I get in a good groove. But most of all I will just be happy to be on the water and fishing, and if a big steelie grabs that bunny and bends that snoopy to the cork, or plastic I guess I should say, all the better. Bottom line No matter what Ive got in my hand or hands Im out there fishing. Kevin
  2. TC I live with wind knots

Bothell, WA
    Ratings: +9 / 0
    You dirty rotten SOB. How can you brag about fishing 60-90 days in a winter season. Have you no sympathy for we two bit weekend chuckers? You are nothing more that a leech on society, (egg sucking, no less) and a piranah, bum, no good scum sucking peice of crap.
  3. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,260 / 1
    What's a spey rod? ;)

Actually, I do own one. I just don't fish it much and need to practice more on my casting. I think all rods have there place in certain fishing situations. Fish what turns your crank. The fish don't know what type of rod you're fishing anyway.
    Brian
  4. inland Active Member

Ratings: +45 / 0
    TC-

I didn't say I was fishing winter's 60-90 days. However there are some and damn few use single handers. As for the generous comments I will gladly donate some mudd for your coprophagia.

William
  5. Citori Piscatorial Engineer

Federal Way, WA
    Ratings: +116 / 0
    I fish one handers exclusively since losing my left arm in that unfortunate accident involving the crocodile in the mangroves. I still use the spey casts though...
  6. Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

Kirkland, Washington
    Ratings: +57 / 0
    I finally got the ultimate payoff for getting my two hander when I showed a lady friend my 13' Spey rod and she said "Jesus Ian, that thing is huge!".

Made my whole day. :D
  7. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,601 / 2
    if that doesn't make the case for spey, i don't know what does :cool:
  8. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,572 / 0
    Panhandle,

Interesting question, you troublemaker. I wonder if people just come to this forum looking for trouble or if most fly fishermen are the arrogant snobs the spin/casting fraternity thinks we are.

I mostly fish two handed rods because I mostly fish for steelhead. And the two handed rods allow me to effectively fish more water on most rivers than my single hand rods. I made my first two handed rod in 1991 on a prototype blank Jimmy Green gave me. It was a real thunderstick, and I didn't care for it much, so I assigned it novelty status, and returned to my single hand steelhead rod. Then I built up a Sage 9140-4 which is a nice rod, but even it's overkill for most steelhead in my estimation. I used it because I had it, but wasn't all that satisfied. The marketplace is now full of wonderful and fantastic Spey rods that are lighter and suited to nearly every application. Now I have 5/6, 6/7, and 7/8 weight Spey rods that are fun to cast, fun to fish, and even fun to play the fish I catch.

The only good reason for not using Spey rods for the kind of fishing I do would be if I was uninformed, lacked casting skill (and I'm not great), couldn't afford one, or had only one arm as suggested in an earlier post. But you got an answer to your question. Some folks aren't using two handed rods. Good for them.

Sg
  9. Scott Keith Member

Arlington, WA
    I can't wait until they develop a 2 person, 3-handed rod setup... that'd be sweet...

Scott
  10. oilslick New Member

Hillsboro, OR
    I could use a third hand. :D
  11. Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

Seattle, Wa.
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    I can't wait till they invent a machine that casts for you, that would be sweet. My arm deserves a rest.
    And yes I have a two hander that I do use on occasion, but I can feel a stike or a bump better with a single hander. And when fighting a fish with a two hander it's almost too easy.....I guess I like the single handers better.
  12. Panhandle Active Member

Selkirk Mountains, Idaho Panhandle
    Ratings: +23 / 0
    It's your lucky day Scott!
    Sage is coming out with one in Spring called the 'Brokeback Mountain special' and St Croix has a rod coming out next summer which is a variation on one their most popular upper ends rods, it's called the 'Ultra Gay Legend Elite.'

Now you know what to ask for-for Xmas. No thanks needed.
  13. cnaka New member

Seattle
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Interesting. I have the opposite feeling. I find it more difficult fighting a fish with the 2-hander. For some reason, I found it easier to putting pressure on the fish and landing quickly with a single-handed 9.5' 6wt when fishing for summer runs than when using a 13.5' or 14' 8 or 9wt 2 hander in winter. Though I use 2 handers exclusively now for steel, I still feel I had better control over the fish with a single-handed rod. Just my experience though.
  14. Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

Seattle, Wa.
    Ratings: +7 / 0

Ya know your right, I said that wrong. Here it is more detailed. The two hander is too big, and maybe it's because my rod is too big, I've heard that all my life.;). With regards to the fight I think it's not as fun for me because the rod does so much of the work, that really all I have to do is stand there and let nature take it's course (and hope it doesn't come unbuttoned). When fighting a salmon I have more fun because I have to know how to land the fish. Speaking of which I don't like landing a fish on a two hander either, I'm getting better but the damn thing is 14' long. maybe I should have gotten something in the 12' range. after re-reading this is still doesn't make sense. :confused:
  15. TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Vancouver, WA.
    Ratings: +44 / 0
    Hehe, Well my shirt will say, "My rod is longer than yours". :rofl::rofl:

or

"I pick up fish where you left them". :D

Doesn't Dennis and Mike teach a bastardized version of speycasting using their lines? When I took their school way back when, they were using 10 ft rods and "spey" casting them. Why not just add 2more feet and be done with it? I mean it's only 2.5 ft of graphite your adding. 2 feet of graphite weighs nothing. The extra weight in the handle is balanced better than most single handed rods. Nothing against Dennis and Mike. They paved my entire foundation of steelheading, but I thought by now they would be fishing with spey rods.

Some say you can reach out and touch just as many fish with a 9ft single handed rod. NOT. If that is so, you could probably reach out and touch just as many with a 6ft rod, what about a 4ft rod? You could also mend just as well etc. NOT happening. Logic dictates you can reach more fish, mend more line, and cast farther with a two handed rod. Now that the rods are so light, the wieght difference is no argument. Now some cast to far, simply because they can, and swim their flies way too damn fast, but not guys who know what they are doing!!

Trendy, I thought Graphite rods were "trendy", or was it sinking lines, or was it big ass flies. I forget where the hell that trendy thing started. It's all good.

Justin
  16. TC I live with wind knots

Bothell, WA
    Ratings: +9 / 0
    Mr. William, though you didn't say YOU fished 60-90 days a winter season, the way you structured your sentence certainly implied that you did, as you would have the experience regarding slinging a one hander over that period of time. All in jest none the less reading all the afore antagonistic rancor. Oh, and eat your own.:beer2:
  17. Scott Keith Member

Arlington, WA
    Good call! I'll let my "wife" know what to get me... :beer2: Hopefully they will sell them as blanks, I find it really hard to find rods made with the Cerise color I find so favorable for rods.....

Scott
  18. Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Quesnel, BC
    Ratings: +318 / 0
    We used to show people how (with both hands together in front of your chest and holding your arms against your sides so you were using only your wrists) easily the custom yancy lines and floating head systems throw using only spey styles and a 10' Rainshadow rod.
  19. Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Washington
    Ratings: +53 / 0
    yup, they are not marketing them as spey rods, though. I believe they were calld "reach arounds" or something. :rofl:
  20. Lenkerr Aimless Wanderer

Bellingham, Washington
    nope not me. I have a hard enough time not taking my eye out with my 6wt :). This will end up being like Skiers v Snowboards. :) We'll all agree to disagree and wind up on the river together :thumb: