Is anyone not fishing a two-hander?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Panhandle, Nov 5, 2007.

1. ^
    Yeah I agree with some of that.

I think it is funny how offended some people become at the fact that other people have an opinion that differs from theirs. In the end this whole arguing over this and that is really counterproductive and divides us.

Every time we fight over this and that WDFW and the kill fisheries just die laughing. They will never have to worry about us standing up for ourselves and opposing them with a united stand, with common goals, until way after we congeal as a fishing group.

Honestly I would like to make a difference. I choose to start here and now. I will not tease the spey guys and hopefully someone can learn from my example and maybe do their own expression of solidarity to bring us together as a community.

The saddest thing is we have already lost the entire war. Here in Washington our runs are decimated. Leaving them completely untouched will still leave us nearly nothing as brood stock in the puget sound rivers.

Hope we all enjoyed arguing over rods over the last decade instead of advancing the sport with better results and more fish to hand.

2. Word.
    Best post in this thread.
    If all this energy spent hating on our fellow river users went into something constructive like taking a more proactive role in managment of our waters instead of leaving it up to big brother, chances are we'd have some fine fishing on our hands.

3. Maybe its not the opinion, but the way that opinion is conveyed. Not trying to get on you Jeremy. I think it's cool that your looking to turn over a new leaf. But I would say that its undrstandable how people would get upset over some of the stuff that was written and wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it.

4. Glad to see this thread's still alive. . . . I use Spey rods because altho I've been fly fishing all my adult life, and keep gettin' richer, but I can't get my picture, on the cover of . . . oh Fly Fisherman or NW Flyfishing or whatever. Maybe if I upgrade my waders and sunglasses too, that would help.

5. Salmo, you're classic!!

6. Thanks Pan - those should be a big hit at the coming Spey Pride Claves. :rofl:

7. I like a two hander because they are a blast to cast. But also they are easier on the arm. They allow you to cast easily when in tight situations. They allow you to cast far when you need to, and keep your line off the water when you do cast a distance. But I like a single hander on smaller water, or runs where you plain don't need to cast very far. But, most the time I don't like taking multiple rods out to the river, and I usually just take the spey. One rod is enough for me to keep track of. :)

8. i just dont care about spey rods. too heavy, too long, no fight in a fish, to expensive,etc. mike w

9. Never touched one, no idea how to cast one, too many single handers to consider switching. What I would like to do is find a two hander, watch him/her work and then see if I can foresee adding such a stick to my quiver.

10. I really like the two handed rods, or more accurately those who fish them. Usually if I fish about fifty or so yards below them, thats where all the fish are hiding from the commotion that is being created on the water. Most spey casters should spend alot more time practicing thier craft before they take it to the river, if they want to catch fish.
    Every once in a while I'll run into someone who actually knows what they are doing, and it is worthwhile to just sit and watch.

11. Talk about digging up an old thread.

I've tried spey casting a few times but just don't see the need for such a big pole. If I wanted to cast to the other side of the bank......I'd just resort back to my bait caster. Although with a fighting butt on my poles now, I have taught myself to spey cast off my single hander.

12. Wait, wait, wait! I been waiting for an appropriate time to share this little piece of wisdom from the reader board outside D.A.Burns in Ballard, " The shallower the stream, the louder the babble". SFR. Hey wait a minute.

13. Picked up the two hander almost twenty years ago. I knew it would be starting all over again. And I was right. I just like to keep fishin man!

14. Why are we beating this dead dog?

15. I thought this one looked familiar.
    Quote:
    "Is anyone NOT fishing a two-hander?"
    A: NO
    and if you aren't fishing one, I have one for sale!
    :clown:

16. I succumbed to the busty spey sirens about this time last year...and my shoulder hurts less.
    But I'm more frustrated. Hate being a novice again.
    15 years fly fishing, only ten of which was real serious, and I always told myself "at least I'm not one of those foofie SPEY guys". Now I am one, dammit. I love the line control, consistent distance with little effort, ability to toss monster tips in winter, and of course the freudian "look at my big SPECIAL thing" on the river.

17. The statement that fishing a single hander is all you need and that using a two hander is unnecessary is both true and ignorant. True: yes, a single hander is adequate. However, a switch or true two- hander is far superior to using a single hander under warranted conditions. Anyone who claims otherwise is either insecure about the fact that they haven't made the transitions, or completely misunderstands the concept. It has VERY LITTLE TO DO WITH DISTANACE. It has everything to do with efficiency (line in the water) and line control, whether for trout or steelhead. Spey casting is a better, more effective way of fishing. Ya, it sucks to have to start over from scratch and I understand how that alone makes making the move hard. Do it, if the water you fish calls for it, you won't regret it.

18. Wow, this was almost worth the read...I agree with you panhandle, It has so much more to do with line control and also areas you can fish i.e. in bushes that makes it what it is...As you evolve in your casting capabilities you hopefully end up figuring out that it's not a casting competition.

I didn't get into this thread to add more to the pissing contest but read where a member uses mainly lighter rods (spey) and am really interested in that...I have been using my 5126 sage when I'm not lake fishing this year and i've been talking to the guys and gals in Or. who are moving the scale downwards even with some of the bigger fish...I had a debate with a buddy who also owns a sage6126 when we were up fishing zipperlip river by whistler this spring for big fat bulls whether our rods could handle some b.c. sized wild steelies...He thought it was pushing the limits too much...I thought the lighter rods could handle um...Low and behold the lucky bastard hooked into a 40" wild while out fishing for bulls...caught it on this tiny minnow pattern...If he wants to add more about that I will let him!!!

I love my single hand rods, I love my spey rods...I'm starting to find while I can now throw 100' of line with my 14.5 rod on the T. for winter steelies...I don't get up there a whole hell of allot to do it..and i'll be honest, it kicks my ass to fish those big rods all day!!! I know i'll kill myself doing it though as there is nothing else like it..but still, if that was all there was for spey fishing I would question it too...The small rods though, wow, what a joy...yeah if your into catching dinkers cause that's all you got...then fine, stick with a 0 or 1/2wt that's still a blast I guess...but I'm finding another love for spey fishing because of these lighter rods which are so versatile for all types of fly fishing...

The one great thing about spey fishing is it teaches you to spey cast!!! while I tried it with my single hand before, until I owned and learned how to do it properly on a spey rod, it didn't take..Now it's made a world of difference to my single hand casting...So if nothing else it improves your casting abilities and your chances to throw a tiny dry into a spot you couldn't ever reach with a traditional single hand cast before...

If anyone else out there is finding a love for the lighter weight speys I really like to hear it..I don't hear about this happening up in B.C. yet but am hearing about it quite a bit south of us!!!

19. Never touched one and I don't think I'll ever want one unless my shoulder gets a lot worse than it is now that getting one will be out of necessity alone. Plus, I mostly fish small waters...If you can't cast a 3wt across it with ease, I'm probably not fishing it.

20. Two handed rods

I took a class than read some books on the subject and made a purchase. Two handed rods are not my main thing nor will it ever be. But you know, I took up spey casting for fun and adventure. I am not that good with a two handed rod to ever catch a stealhead. But I sure have fun , get to relax and love the challenge of learning something different. Isn't that what fishing is all about?