Is anyone not fishing a two-hander?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Panhandle, Nov 5, 2007.

1. PT

PT Physhicist

Cast, swing, take a couple steps. Cast, swing, take a couple steps. While you're picking your fly out of the trees behind you please don't mind me while I work my way down and around you. If you need a fly or two just let me know. I'm always willing to help. I only make a bunch of commotion in the top 2/3 of the run. I like to push 'em toward the tailout where the swing is a bit easier. When you check your fly after fishing thru a run and the hook shank has broken off.... you probably did that about half an hour ago and should have checked it earlier.

Me? I've gotten used to wielding a long pole so it was an easy transition to the spey rod.

2. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

Media:
    Almost feel the same, I recon it's a few years till I feel like spending the money to completely gear up.

With that said I held a Rainshadow switch rod 2 weeks ago and it felt damn nice!

3. Steven Green

Steven Green Hood Canal Pirate

Media:
    I don't like to fish big rivers, It's just not my preference. I don't see myself ever owning a spey rod but I learned to do a single hand spey cast. There is no denying that is a very useful cast. Once I get into the rhythm, I can single hand 40 or 50 feet with an unweighted fly and that is plenty for what I fish. I even find myself shooting off a quick single hand spey in the salt if someone is walking behind me or whatever the situation may be. Spey rod for me? No thank you. Spey cast? Hell yes. Learn to fish for the situations your fishing in. This thread has been beat to death twice now. Lets get out and fish.

Steven

4. knothead

knothead Banned or Parked

Media:
    [ When you check your fly after fishing thru a run and the hook shank has broken off.... you probably did that about half an hour ago and should have checked it earlier.

Me? I've gotten used to wielding a long pole so it was an easy transition to the spey rod.[/QUOTE]

...and the good news is?... I won't be getting anymore of those $80.00 tickets for not pinching down the barb.

5. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Media:
    to Golfman's point, I have a 15' and two 12'6", one of which is a Deer Creek 5/6, and I have to admit under most conditions that's my favorite-at least until my 13' 5/6/7 Meiser custom build arrives (soon, salivating as I write). I reserve the big meat stick for bigger water where longer casts are required to reach the buckets.
    I'm really interested in going lighter, maybe an 11' 4/5, so a normal sized trout gets a chance to show off. But I've landed steelhead on a SH 5wt, and I'm tempted to try an ultralight stick for steelheading too. My 5/6 bends into the corks with a 12# fish on, and that's a rush!
    I had a long conversation with Bob Meiser at the Clave about just this subject; the relative fish-fighting ability of the 5/6/7 13' to the 6/7/8 12'6". I had a delicious month of agonizing over that before I went with Bob's recommendation and ordered the lighter stick.
    also I agree with Pan- it's the total line control that is the ultimate advantage of the rod, that and the decreased fatigue that results if you're not forced to make hero casts. I love moderate distance, easy cast-step-cast on long bars...it's poetic, and the effortlessness compared to the singlehand, plus the fact that your fly is always fishing, makes all the difference to me. And not having to worry about the trees at my back.
    Damn good string:)

6. Gary C. Brown

Gary C. Brown Les Paul Lover

Media:
    Never have, Never will.

7. chromeseeker

chromeseeker Where's the Bucket?

I love casting/fishing the double hander (especially with heavy tips in the winter--easy on the shoulder!) but I have to admit, I much prefer fighting fish on a single hand rod. I just feel more connected to the beast and enjoy the fight much more.

And it actually is easier to subdue a fish on a shorter rod, which is nice. It's the whole "lever" principle as William was alluding to.

CS

8. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

I picked up my first 2H about 15 years ago and still have a couple favorites I use. The almost hypnotic rhythm of spey casting is as fun as the fishing itself to me. It's not surprising it's become so popular. But for some reason, I've gone back to SH for most of my fishing. Partly because it's simpler with respect to gear and transport and overall I find it as satisfying. In a distorted way, I also see some value in self limiting access to ALL of the water however I don't expect others will embrace this thought. But, they're not always on the far side, just because you can wade out to your nipples and reach it.
    I do use spey casts with the SH in tight quarters but often wish I had the control the 2h offers.

9. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

Just to jump in and repeat my opinion on the subject since I haven't in about 6 months.

The true value of fishing a double hander is in learning the casts, and more specifically, how to use a water anchor to load the rod.

I can spey cast any of my single handers to significant distances and if I modded the line I could go much further.

I have owned spey rods and plan on buying a new one soon but I don't see any true differences between a single hander and a double hander as both can do all the same casts.

Learn those casts, they will significantly change the way you fish period, single hander or double hander.

The only time I use a double hander is when I need the distance on a big river like the Skagit, but a river like the Stilly? I can spey cast my single hander across the Stilly and than some with a standard 5wt setup with a standard DT line.

10. The Famous Grouse

The Famous Grouse New Member

I'll say one thing about spey casting. The Scots and the rest of the UK would be totally screwed if you guys in the PNW hadn't invented spey casting.

I mean, I don't know if any of you guys have ever been over there to fish, but in Scotland it's damn near all they do on those bigger salmon rivers. How they did it before we Americans invented the spey stick and related casting techniques is beyond me.

It's kind of shameless that they went and named a river in Scotland after it. You PNW guys should get together and sue.

Grouse

11. Coach Duff

Coach Duff Banned or Parked

Media:
    I have a nice, weathered Sage SP 9 foot 7 weight rigged up with a nice Hardy St. Aidan Golden and three spools. I have a versi-tip with cut tips, a steelhead taper floater, a t-200 and clear tip. When summer starts to slip into fall, and on the right waters,;) it is actually my favorite rig of all of them to cast and swing, skate, dead-drift and nymph with depending on what is happening. I am all about the one-hander for steelhead fishing on the RIGHT WATERS and times. Don't give up on the one-handers forever, there is still plenty of magic in one-handed steel chasing. Tight lines Duff

12. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Good thing the PNW crowd was around to show you mid-westeners how to do it. Oh, and you are welcome for the fish also.:thumb:

One more thing; I think you can only spey cast on the Spey River. Not sure but everywhere else it might be considered 2 handed casting.:hmmm:

I fly fish for steelhead with a 2 handed rod, there for I am.:clown:

13. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

Let me know when you get the stick and how you like it...I have been thinking hard about talking to him as well...13' seems just about right for that line..you could do everything with it...These smaller speys are a dream on most rivers...you can do anything with um huh? It's like anything though, Once the fall big boys start showing up north...it will be the 14.5 or 14' 8wts and hold on to your johnson...I am going to try and split some time this winter with the 5wt for winter steelies..only real problem i'm having with the sage is it loves the CND 5/6 gps and is only kind of decent with a skagit set up...though I haven't tried many as the CND is too much fun...
    Really interested in hearing about what you end up using with the Meiser,,,
    Jason, When your fishing dinkers any SH is fine with your spey casts...and to be honest, what else is in B'ham ? but your blowing smoke up your skirt if you want to try big boy rivers, preach all you want but come fish the Y hole etc. up on the T. or head over and fish the Clearwater!!!
    I love watching young hotshots looking around to see who's watching as they take 5,6,7? backcasts to bomb out their line...I just smile, circle spey and wing it back out there...Not only will my fly be in the water 2-3 times longer but I can control it a helluva lot better with a big stick then those strip monkeys...

14. Coach Duff

Media:
    I'm trying to get the Hawaiian Bonefish shipped over to the Great Lakes. Just like those Washington steelhead we sent you guys. Only thing is I'm afraid your inferiority complexes will get even worse. Oh, and please don't throw 33 split shot on a fly leader, hook a bonefish in the gills and call it flyfishing. I can already see it coming. Tight lines. Coach
    PS We DID invent Skagit casting. If there is any confusion about that, look up a Washington Map in the internet and you will see a river called the SKAGIT. Don't hate the players, hate the game.!!!!!!! Tight lines, and DUCK!!( steelheading Great Lakes style) The Coach
    PS Hope you took this tongue in cheek. You have some great fly-anglers out there. I guided a hell of a upper Michigan angler this week.
    PSS Maybe Meiz and Kinney are working on a "Chuck and Duck model"............NAHHHHHHHHHH:rofl:

15. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

Hey Coach, you interested in selling that SP setup? That sounds like my dream setup.

I got an SP 5wt and it is hands down my favorite rod of many.

16. Steelie Mike

Steelie Mike Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I love the argument about spey rods and the lack of fight you feel with steelhead with them. For the most part it is very true. Fast action rods do not flex deep when you cast, so why would they when you are fighting a fish. If you cast a slow to moderate action spey rod you will find them load deeper and thus flex more when fighting fish.

[​IMG]

This a picture of me fighting a fish on the Lower D a few years back. Although a poor pic (thanks Zen), you can see my 8140 Winston Ibis is a little bent. The fish on the other end of the line was a "3 pound" native steelhead. That Ibis was slow and you feel the fight all the way to the upper grip. Great rod to fish, not always a great rod to cast though.

I fish the spey rod seventy percent of the time. That includes water like the Kalama and Washougal that get small during the Fall and Summer. You do not need it, but it helps if you want to fish the fly and not let the current fish for you.

Recently I have been using a 4119 Decho on some trout and have found that 10-12 inch trout suck on it, 14 inch are not that bad and the nice 16 inch bull I caught was fun. For rivers like the Lower Mad or the Horn, I think a rod like this may be the ticket in the winter when you want to chuck some fur. Now if I could only pry myself away from steelhead water.

Knothead is right. There are some guys who beat the hell out of the water at times practicing their casting. It is not different than the single hand guys learning though. It just takes time and practice.

Coach, I want to get me one of those bones on a spey/switch. What do you think?

17. Coach Duff

Media:
    As soon as Meiz sends me the damn demo he has been promising me for months, I'll hook some big bones and a trevally or two on a switch myself. Right Meiz? :D Coach
    And Meiz I don't need any jarhead jokes this week. Duffer

18. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Hey Coach, I'm a PNW transplant, but I thought it was some dude named CHUCK that created the ...and Duck casting style that is so talked about in the midwest and great lakes regions. I'd like to meet that fella Chuck but I don't want to walk into his backcast.

19. Coach Duff

Media:
    One more thing; I think you can only spey cast on the Spey River. Not sure but everywhere else it might be considered 2 handed casting. Kerry S.

Now that is something I agree 110 percent with. We quit "spey" casting a long time ago. Well said Kerry. Duff

20. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Not me . . . I leave one hand free to swat mosquitos . . .