Is hunting bad?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by troutcatcher6, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Media:
    Get a grip. In this economy, it may be the only way some folks eat. And the way things are going, if you don't remember your genetic encoding over the last 30,000 years, you might end up starving too.

2. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Media:
    Upton O Good, that was awesome.

3. Rocket Red

Rocket Red Vegetarian Cannibal

Go hunting, it is awesome.

It is the best way I know to get simple protein, and know how the meat was handled from death to table. If you feed your family with meat that you harvested, aged, and prepared, it makes the meal that much more meaningful.

And as we saw above, we have either a) evolved to be at the top of the food chain, or b) Jesus wants us to kill animals. So take your pick and try it sometime, it is another great way to participate in the outdoors, and provide food for you and your family.

4. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Media:
    Maybe, maybe not. If you have never Hunted, skinned, butchered, and preserved meat before, I hope that you are never in a position where you "Have" to. Contrary to popular opinion, it is a learned skill, not an instinct. Try taking a hunters safety course and make your own decision. :thumb:

5. jcalderon

jcalderon Member

Media:
    Im not sure who your president is, but mine will just rob Peter to par Paul. "(hat's a whole different discussion) I'm sick of hearing about how "the economy" is the reason people are doing all kinds of whacky shit. The economy has become a scape goat for the radical actions of alot of greedy people. Even if the greed is on a small scale.

Hunt if you get enjoyment out of it and you are not doing anything immoral to you, or illegal.

Not attacking anyone here, but if i keep hearing about this economy business, I might go crazy.

6. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Media:
    Home Page:
    I agree, Roper. Just to clarify, it's taken a couple hundred thousands of years :ray1: But even that is up for debate, because how far back into history (or pre-history) do we go before the term "man" is not accurate? When our ancestors began walking upright, were we "man"? Even after we had we climbed down out of the trees and decided to walk/run upright across the plains, did we run in pursuit of or from other members of the predator groups? I would agree that we were not at the top of the food chain, yet. As you noted, for many thousands of years early man (and even modern Homo Sapiens) was easy pickin's for large, four-legged predators. Even once we developed basic tools for hunting, we were still at a horrendous disadvantage. Over the course of many more thousands of years, as our brains evolved further and our tools became more effective, we gradually developed the potential for superiority over other critters and became the Alpha predator. But even still, without modern hunting tools, we're easy pickin's. I pray to God I don't ever have to face a bear or cougar, because even with my relatively large brain, descended larynx and opposable thumb, I don't stand a chance one on one. Sorry, I maybe straying off topic a bit. ;)

7. Porter

Porter Active Member

If you believe that..yeah, but science says otherwise and it did take 1000's of years. The bible is a book of stories and there were and are millions of people that have never heard of it and have their own (book of) stories.

Roper gave a great answer.

8. troutcatcher6

troutcatcher6 New Member

Media:
    Some of my friends.:cool:

9. Jergens

Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Media:
    Home Page:
    iagree

10. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

troutcatcher6,
    You need to take a long hard look at your friends.
    If you want I'll be your friend and we can go hunt together.
    Man, sticks, meat, fire. hmmmmmmm, good!!!
    Fishing is hunting also.

11. Nate Dutton

Nate Dutton I'm a teacher, I fish to eat!

Media:
    hunting humans? -BAD
    Hunting wild game? - GOOD
    Hunting for Mushrooms? - Good Or Bad
    Hunting domesticated animals? ehhh not very fun
    Hunting for a Job?- Good
    Hunting for a fight?- probably bad
    That dog 'ill hunt? - Good dog.

12. Big E

Big E Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    I hunt only because I like the meat. If I didn't care for the meat, I wouldn't hunt. I don't trophy hunt or shoot animals without some reason...ie shooting a cougar just to have it stuffed.

You're allowed 20 deer here in SD. I had 4 antlerless tags and had them all filled opening day before 10am.

Looking forward to hopefully getting an elk and a moose when I move to WA.

13. LT

LT Member

Media:
    Take some time to articulate your question. Better yet do some research on the subject and form your own opinion. You'll learn a lot more about the subject than throwing out a yes/no question on whether or not hunting is bad.

14. Hem

Hem Member

Ropers rules are a pretty good summary...they form a responsible attitude.To some however his rules aren't good enough reason.For myself,I think there are many reasons which allow me to say that hunting is good,most of the reasons are tangible.It keeps my mind sharp,in tune as best i can to the natural world.It allows me to escape some of the so-called advancements in our world, a love /hate relationship with all the things alledgedly making our lives easier....vehicles,phones,computers etc.Mostly,without sounding righteous,I want to be involved with the entire process start to finish.Game meat is healthier, freaked out by hormones and steroids.I mean,heard from a friend of a friend whose daughter had her first period at age eleven( 5th grade),that just ain't right! I like the mental and physical challenge, a combination of skill,intuition, and fortitude.Harvesting a mountain goat at 10,000 ft.,six miles into grizz country, on a 40 degree slope in two feet of snow,and its getting dark, well THAT is an accomplishment.The intangible.Just HAVE to hunt,its the way I am wired.Not everybody is wired the same.

15. Chris Puma

Chris Puma hates waking up early

Media:
    Fishing is merely a different form of hunting. You think that you're not killing fish with catch and release? Put another crack rock in the pipe!

16. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Media:
    Actually, I agree. I'm not sure what the bitch is, I've been living on the cheap long before shit hit the fan.

Being able to shoot on the wing has always been easy and fascinating. Well, at least it used to be, but now that I'm old and stupid, I don't know. But it was very cool to turn that around and apply it to a hook. That's steelheading! It's a gift. Being able to hunt and fish. I'll use it any chance I get.

17. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

Media:
    always?
    [​IMG]

but i think upthecreek prefers this version

[​IMG]

18. colton rogers

colton rogers wishin' i was fishin'

no way in hell will hunting ever be bad, if you let the deer population go for one year[where i hunt] they would starve themselves out triple whatever the hunters do to them. there was a poll from the game checkers and our area that we hunt had a 45% kill rate. our camp is constantly in the 75-80% kill rate. this is all because we know the land and get out and hunt, not sit in our ford and drive. 30-06 is a bad ass caliber :D damn now i got to go shoot something

19. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Media:
    Not sure if you've looked into it yet, but getting a moose in WA is a one shot in a lifetime deal. If you ever draw a tag, make it count because you'll never get another one.

20. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    iagree

I'm same way. I only hunt to put some meat in the freezer (like the elk steaks I served at the Hoh Down). I don't go out there to put the biggest mount on the wall (I have none) just like I don't have any fish mounts on the wall (eventhough I have the pics to have them made). Have I been tempted to do the fish? Yeah. But the pics suffice. But myself, I only hunt when I need to put more meat in the freezer. So I say that I'm ok with hunting.