Is hunting bad?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by troutcatcher6, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Jake Bannon

Jake Bannon nymphs for steelhead....

Media:
    What about hunting? Where did religion come into play? I love to hunt, I love to eat the meat which is mainly the only reason I do it. My family will eat on average 5 or so deer a year with maybe a half an elk. For every one time I eat beef I will eat 4 or 5, maybe more meals made of venison. Point Im trying to make is my family lives off venison as far as meat goes, yes we do have a couple head mounts on our wall but we are anything but trophey hunters. Heck, out off the 10 deer Ive shot only 4 have been bucks. Speaking of which were running low on pheasant and quail, good thing I have two turkey tags for next month. :thumb:
    I also love it when the odd person scoughs upon me killing animals, I also just tell them they are having someone else doing the dirty job for them...

Jake

2. hap

hap Member

Read a little Stephen Jay Gould... Punctuated Equilibrium is the basic hypothesis he advocated (some issues about who actually first pinched the concept) and it explains neatly the lack of need for a missing link... Further, you confuse the concepts of primacy and development.

Evolution is fact: Verifiable, repeatable, obvious tests can be conducted to prove the mechanism. Origins are significantly harder to prove and requiring proof of both is not required to prove evolution.

Having read the Bible stem to stern I have to say the front half does not read quite like the back... If it is perfect, explain that. Then there is the little issue of the various books accepted by various denominations. For an inspired book (written just a hundred years or so after Christ) there is certainly much argument about what belongs in it. In Biology the first discoverer gets to name the critter. Yet the Catholic books of the Apocrypha were there first and remain in the Vulgate, but are rejected by the KJV and others.

For Divinely inspired and perfect versions the discussions seem noteworthy. Accepting a translation done late in the program and betting my life on its absolute accuracy seems close-minded.
    YMMV
    art

3. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Ok, ONE MORE TIME! Let's get back on track. Enough of the religion and back onto hunting discussion. THANK YOU! If you want to debate religion, do it through PM.

4. Buck

Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

Media:
    Church and state. In this case it's hunt and church. Two seperate things.

5. KID

KID n00b

Hunting is just as good/bad as fishing because of people who do/don't follow the rules.

Besides law, and the dumb few who break it, the only other factor that would determine hunting to be good or bad would be your own belief towards killing animals for food and sport.

6. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Home Page:
    Hap,
    Thanks for your comment on my quote. I defer to you on the source I referred to. I wouldn't be surprised if my reference is incorrect. I apologize to the author's spirit for my misinformation.

I do really like the substance of the statement, it just speaks volumns to me.

7. colton rogers

colton rogers wishin' i was fishin'

well i have nothing to say, troutcather6 it looks like you have a fairly high majority saying that it is not bad to hunt. and im having venison burgers tonight:D

8. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Oh shit. Not another screwed up thread.

9. Ethan G.

Ethan G. I do science.. on fish..

Media:
    iagree How'd this thread get so off track? This board is for the most part secular, so go read the forum rules again, everyone.

Anyway, to the original question, I don't think anyone but PETA, vegans, and high school girls think hunting is detrimental to the environment. There's your answer.

10. Trent

Trent Ugly member

PETA, those guys scare the crap out of me. Greg Thomas warns, in Flyfisher's Guide to Washington, about fishing Dry Falls Lake and getting taken out by a PETA member with a 7mm.

11. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Media:
    Yeah, I shot one once. Freaking pissed me off. Opening day of archery, first thing in the morning and I had to waste my antlerless bonus tag and a good arrow/broadhead on it. It was running around with one of its front legs half blown off. Freaking poachers must have gotten to to it the night before. I only got about 30 pounds of meat.

and yes, it was a legal kill in the State I was in.

12. Citori

Citori Piscatorial Engineer

Is hunting bad?

Hmmmm. I don't know if I'd say hunting is bad, but it sure isn't as good as it used to be.

13. hap

hap Member

Upto
    Gasset is probably the most quoted philosopher in pro-hunting great literature and "Meditations on Hunting" is still a great read.

Aldo wrote quite a bit about whacking and stacking at an early age and came to regret his part in the eventual extirpation of wolves across the West. That is about the only thing I disagree with him on. ;) Not the concept of killing them all, just that of making them truly unusual. It is an amazing thing to see how many animals a pack of wolves kills...
    art

14. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

Media:
    Hunting Good

Religion Bad

15. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    Ok, PUH LEAZE no more even talking about religion. Never will go good. Especially Go Fish's last post. Just stirs things up. I'll start editing and deleting from this point forward. And next person to bash either way (pro or con religion) will get a spanking and tossed in the corner. Okie dokie????

16. colton rogers

colton rogers wishin' i was fishin'

iagree the title is about hunting not religion save that for sundays

17. UptheCreek

UptheCreek Member

Sorry for bringing up religion but it started with the statement of how it took man so long to evolve to be able to hunt animals which is just crazy.

18. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    Man has evolved. You took it to literally. There is proof we hunted with spears. Then arrows. Flintlocks. Modern muzzleloaders to smokeless cartridges. Thats within the last 500 years. Ill let your last comment go. Just another jab. Im on my mobile waiting for Bonzai. I find another jab either way of the spectrum and Im parking people. And yes you did a jab. You couldve just said we can agree to disagree. Im done! Thank you!

19. troutcatcher6

troutcatcher6 New Member

Media:
    huh... This post got a bit out of hand... :eek:
    PLEAZE... hunting not religon!!!

20. Tyler Sadowski

Tyler Sadowski Active Member

Media:
    Yes hunting is wrong. All who hunt should turn their heads in shame. :clown: Just dont tell that to the bucks i've shot so far. Every one is entitled to their own opinion, but I was raised up hunting, fishing in the outdoors so I might be a little biased. To me its about the experience, spending time with loved ones and being in the outdoors. If you respect our resources, wildlife, and follow the laws your all good in my book. With that said I love hunting and will do as long as I can and hope to teach my kids one day and my grandchildren when the time comes.