Is the Methow going to still be open......

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Bob Rankin, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Bob Rankin Active Member

Yakima, WA
    Ratings: +167 / 1
    Was wondering if the Met will still be open first week of December?
  2. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +876 / 0
    Hard to say, but even the young lady who does the creel counts doesn't think so. We'll probably hear about it being closed the day before it actually does!
  3. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,617 / 2
    I'd be surprised if it were open after this coming weekend. I haven't been there in almost a month, but my sources tell me it's starting to flow ice.
  4. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +312 / 1
    It will freeze over pretty soon
  5. Rick Todd Active Member

Ferndale/Winthrop
    Ratings: +236 / 0
    I was over bird hunting last weekend. Lots of ice flowing down the Met. Saw one guide boat putting in at MacFarland Creek on Friday, but I'm thinking he would be dragging the boat a lot and dodging ice most of the way to Lower Burma. (plus at 14 degrees, breaking ice out of the guides all day!) Rick
  6. Lex Active Member

Seattle / Carlton
    Ratings: +76 / 0
    Was doing some winterizing on my place last weekend. Fished a bit in the afternoons when there wasn't ice in my guides. Had some bobber downs but nothing stuck. Oh yeah, speaking of ice, there was shelf ice all in many places over the river from Carlton down. And floating ice chunks everywhere.

Go for it, but your chance of getting a steel on the swing even on the Skykomish is seriouly a better bet. And this isn't me just putting out bad propaganda to ease up the pressure. Save your gas unless you have other reasons to go there. Like the beer... and I don't mean from the TRP.. talking OSB here.
  7. plugboots Member

Winthrop, WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Yes, drive over here because the beer is so much better.
  8. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Old Schoolhouse = one of my top 5 breweries in the state. If you don't make the pilgrimage to OSB while fishing the Met, you're doing it wrong.
    Ian Broadie and Josh P like this.
  9. Rick Todd Active Member

Ferndale/Winthrop
    Ratings: +236 / 0
    Yes-I do very much like Ruud Awakening IPA! (they serve it at Loup Loup ski lodge in the winter as well!) I am anxiously waiting for the snow to fall! Rick
  10. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Uncle Big's Brown is my favorite. But his Imperial Stout and Porter both get high marks from me as well.
  11. Lex Active Member

Seattle / Carlton
    Ratings: +76 / 0
    Sarcasm? Although the beer at OSB is outstanding, I was kidding around. Who the fuck would drive to winthrop for a pint? Unless you're already in Carlton.
  12. CLO coho where are you?

Seattle
    Ratings: +308 / 0
    Ice fishing on the Methow with beads has been slow, here's a picture from yesterday:
    [IMG]
    Nooksack Mac and Greg Holt like this.
  13. pbunbury Tights Lines

Ratings: +34 / 0
    I was there last weekend and it was full of heavy ice flow and icebergs until about 1 pm and there was significant ice build up on the banks extending out into the river. We managed a couple steelhead, but casting between icebergs in sub 20 temps makes the OP seem like Miami Beach.

Attached Files:

Alpine4x4 likes this.
  14. slim Fish or Ski...Fish or ski....fish!

Spokane Washington
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    Looks like the Grand Ronde last Friday!
  15. Josh P Member

Ratings: +27 / 0
    Might be a early freeze up this year. Typically we would see the freeze over happen about a week before Christmas. My sources have said that it should be open until the end of the month. Word has it they had the numbers to shut it down 3 weeks ago because of incidental wild by-catch.
  16. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,610 / 0
    There is a time and a place for bead fishing.

Sg
  17. Bob Rankin Active Member

Yakima, WA
    We'll it was worth a shot. Maybe next year. I still need to go see my old man at black canyon, I just thought I would fish while I was there. Thanks all

Bob
  18. Methow Fly Fishing New Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    The met doesn't freeze over. It might stay open a little longer but looking at the end of November.
  19. Bob Rankin Active Member

Yakima, WA
    I just got off the phone with a biologist on the Met and it will still be open on Wednesday. I'm going! Hope the weather is good.
  20. jake-e-boy Active Member

Kennewick
    Ratings: +206 / 0
    standard e wa weather, cold and dry! enjoy picking ice out of guides