Is the North Fork Stillaguamish open for fishing?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Joe, May 2, 2003.

1. Joe

Joe Member

2. Whitey

Whitey Active Member

Media:
    Closed. Opens June 1. Look for me, I'll be on that river every chance I get.:thumb YT 29 days and counting.............

3. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

Media:
    Joe, I read the new regs the same way you did. Looks open to me. But don't count on me to know the code-- give WDFW a call. But it sure reads open to me under the special regs freshwater section. Two hatchery steelhead limit.

4. Whitey

Whitey Active Member

Media:
  5. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I used to know it all---but now I forgot it all.

Was closed on the 28 of feb to protect all the wild fish. Just because it is written in the regs doesn't mean that it is. The regs say is open year around and goes to fly fishing on the 16th of April. But that is just a lie.Check with the WSFW on emergency closures.It is in there.

Jim

6. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

Media:
    Gotta love those regs! I know they mean well- but 124 pages? I need a fishing reg accountant to go along with my tax accountant. Reasoning is solid, but jees it's hard to figgure out.

>>>

Actions: Beginning March 1, 2003, the Stillaguamish River mainstem downstream of the Warm Beach-Stanwood Highway will close to fishing for steelhead and the North Fork Stillaguamish River from mouth to the Swede Heaven Bridge will close to all fishing. The closures include the March through May catch-and-release season on the North Fork Stillaguamish River.

Effective closure date:

March 1, 2003 through May 31, 2003 - Stillaguamish River mainstem downstream of the Warm Beach-Stanwood Highway closed to fishing for steelhead.
    March 1, 2003 through May 31, 2003 - North Fork Stillaguamish River from mouth to Swede Heaven Bridge, closed to all fishing.

Species affected: Steelhead and all other fish.

Location: Mainstem Stillaguamish River and all sloughs downstream of Warm Beach-Stanwood Highway, and the North Fork Stillaguamish mouth to Swede Heaven Bridge.

Reason for action: The forecast for Stillaguamish River wild winter steelhead returning this winter (2002/2003) is expected to be less than 50 percent of escapement needs. The season closures will eliminate hooking mortality and disruption of spawning of wild steelhead.

Information contact: Curt Kraemer, District Fish Biologist, (425) 775-1311 ext. 101