Is the switch rod the new spey rod? What's up!!

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by USMC VET, Mar 29, 2013.

1. USMC VET

USMC VET Member

I was looking at 5wt switch rods for a friend for possible purchase, I looked at the various brands and noticed a common pattern with some of them, on the lower weight 4 5 wt rods the rod lengths were nearly the same. The new Redington Prospector 5wt switch rod and spey rod was the same length so said the website item description I looked at . So what is the difference? I assume possibly the handle length - if that is all that separate's the two rods not much of a difference. So for you In the know, what is the other differences I am missing if anything?

Another common pattern I have noticed of late is the large amount of owner (new or like new not fished) switch rods for sale on Ebay. I have been watching the many rods available and over the past several months of watching the numbers are growing , I am not talking about old stuff ... seems people have bought a switch rod in the past year or so and for whatever reason they are selling them. I think some of us myself included like the latest greatest new rod on the market and soon realize we have no time or need for the spur of the moment purchase, I also think some fine people are forced to sell their toys due to the job market or lack of. Another reason could be giving some credence to the ney-sayer's who believe given time the switch rod movement will come and go.. Your Thoughts?

P.S. I like the whole switch rod concept and recently purchased a switch rod for myself - now I am keeping an eye out for a friend, His preference is a New Never Fished or like new condition 5 weight switch rod. Possibly someone not having a need for it and willing to sell.
    PM me with what you have and price for consideration. I am really looking for that hard to pass up deal on a 5wt switch. Ready to buy if the rod and price is too tempting to pass up,

thanks,

2. Jordan Simpson

Jordan Simpson Active Member

Media:
    I like my 4wt switch for two reasons: swinging for bulls in the spring with chum fry and sculpin patterns, and then for overhead casting on the beach for cutties. One rod, two functions.

3. USMC VET

USMC VET Member

Hey Jordan
    I have ample opportunity to catch salmon and steelhead locally but one of my favorite and dependable fish to catch is cutthroat
    unfortunately here in WA state the general opinion is that they compete against the more desirable steelhead for food and habitat . How does your 4wt work for the cutthroat.. our common size here is 14-20 inches in our freshwater rivers.

Not ever casting a 4wt switch can you give me some idea what size single hand fly rod the 2wt switch would compare to.. I am told that a switch rod is two sizes stiffer/larger than the same weight single hand rod but have no idea if that is true.
    meaning a 4wt switch would be similar in feel as a 6wt single hand rod

thanks four your thoughts, Ron in WA

4. USMC VET

USMC VET Member

Jordan that should have read; Not ever casting a 4 weight switch rod, can you give me an idea what size single had wt. rod it would be best compared to?

5. Jordan Simpson

Jordan Simpson Active Member

Media:
    Generally speaking, though grains would probably be the best form of measurement, spey and switch rods are loosely similar to a rod that is two sizes up. ie: 4wt switch/spey = 6wt singlehand.

That is a general reference, and should be taken as so. I'm not sure the exact grain window on the two, but they are somewhat similar.

Be aware though, that a spey and switch are different. I also had a 4wt spey rod that I just recently sold, and it was exactly that, a spey rod and in no way would you be able to overhead cast with it, even though it was the same length and weight:
    both my 4wt switch rod and 4wt trout spey were 11' long but compelely different in action and function.