Is there a REAL difference between a Clack and a Hyde?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Peter Pancho, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Peter Pancho

Peter Pancho Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Hello, I was comparing a 2001 Clackacraft to a 2001 Hyde drift boat. Both are super clean and price are comparable, but is there a REAL differnce between the two other than one is glass and other is glass/metal?
    Would love to get an 2001 Aluminum Hyde but those are rare to find under 4000.00.
    I'll be fishing mainly for Steelhead in the Cowlitz,Skagit,Sauk and maybe the Hoh.
    Thanks for the help guys!

Peter ><>

John 14:6

2. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Actually, there used to be. I haven't rowed either in quite a few years. I knew one of the first Hyde reps here in Washington (he lived out in Lakewood). He used to let me "demo" his boats. LOL. Basically free DB usage. Was supposed to make me a screaming deal on one, and my ex screwed me out of that. Dang it. But I have used Clacks and Hydes and they both reacted differently tracking wise. But things have changed, and haven't tried them since 96' or so.

Nowadays, not quite sure. But do know that the old ones did not track well pulling plugs (which most on here probably could care less about). I know they weren't designed for doing that, and it showed. But heard the newer Hydes, especially the aluminum ones are alot better on the sticks for plugs.

3. Swinger

Swinger Banned or Parked

Buy a real drift boat. Buy a Willie.

4. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

Media:
  5. luv2fly2

luv2fly2 Active Member

gotta get a willie. i heard a lot of good things about them but dont know if i want a 14 or a 16 ft. think i will go with a al.{aluminum} with the coated bottom. other than that there is not much diff. between a hyde or a clack. they are all three good boats and personal preference takes over for what you want. the willie is one boat that is not resold as i have seen no ads for them .

6. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Well, Willies are sold, but not often. Nicest thing about them, they really hold their value. But, the majority of Willie owners are gear guys. They are awesome plug pulling boats from what I've heard (back bouncing/backtrolling etc). Just never oared one. I've been in one though, and they've fealt good on the water.

Like said above, you can't go wrong with any. Each of them have bennies/faults. Go with which one pleases you most and in your price range.

7. luv2fly2

luv2fly2 Active Member

to be honest i have not oared any except a clack and an alumaweld but have talked to several who have done a willie and they say it is the boat. just looking for the good deal.

8. nomlasder

nomlasder Active Member

Media:
    To make some comparisions;

Wood-Bently
    Glass-truck
    Aluminum-noisy tank

9. Davy

Davy Active Member

Media:
    Heres what to do: Go to Springfield,OR. and see Don Hill,get a boat kit and have his guy Scott throw the sides and bottom on--that takes care of the hard work-then go over to Bakers and get a Baker trailer and haul it all up to a campsite on the Macenzie upriver from Leaburg and spend a couple weeks fishing the Macenzie and building your boat- you get all that fishing time while waiting for rails to soak and stain to dry and a great boat at a great price- all you have to do is convince the wife- mine is very forgiving thank god--TWICE even .Actually I would recommend the old HYde if thats the only choice between the two-- the new Clack-a-craps are pretty good boats but not the older ones they had very weak chines and other problems.But nothing rows like wood-NOTHING-these days I have a 34 year old Birchcraft that I restored,but will probably go build another Hill boat this fall-on that note also-Don Hill's Glass boats use the old Slide-Rite molds and specs- you probably have never heard of Slide-Rite but they were the best-the best darn glass boat ever made-unfortunatly the original owner went bankrupt for many other reasons and sold the molds and the name lost its luster--but Don has the molds.Not cheap,but worth a look.

10. luv2fly2

luv2fly2 Active Member

i do not own a drift boat but someday will. a wood boat is out because we float the grande ronde a lot. in low water lots of rocks are the problem. the kit is a good idea except i am lazy so someone else has to do the work.

11. Jeff Lyons

Jeff Lyons New Member

Media:
    The newer Clackacrafts are great boats. My friend and I have really beat his up on some rocks and it is fine. Tracks well, and I think the anchoring system is better than in the Hyde. In the Clacka you release the anchor with your feet, so you can still be on the sticks, which is a huge advantage in quicker water. In the Hyde you need your hands to release the anchor, so you pretty much need to be in ver placid water.

12. luv2fly2

luv2fly2 Active Member

jeff, is the anchor feature on all clacks or just the new ones? that is a great idea. can it be put on any boat?

13. Davy

Davy Active Member

Media:
    Low water, a problem in low water with wood boats?== Wood boats float higher than any other kind of boat and if you put a UHMW bottom and chine rails on it --really no worries- best advice is to not hit rocks--I know some boaters who will tell you that to get down a river you bounce off rock "A" into rock "B" in order to hit rock "C" but thats not how I row.

14. sinktip

sinktip Guest

I will second the vote for a Willies. I have rowed a few of them and they are great boats. Go for the 16, you will wish you had if you don't. I have an old Alumaweld when Willy was still making them. It is a much better boat in my opinion than the post-Willie Alumawelds. Hyde makes a nice boat but I have not rowed one enough to comment. The only Clakacraft I have ever been around was one found broken and wrapped around a rock below a rapid on the Deschutes.

15. Jeff Lyons

Jeff Lyons New Member

Media:
    The anchor feature, as far as I know is on all newer Clacks, but I'm not sure. My friends boat is a 2000 or 2001 I am pretty sure and it has the foot anchor. I believe that you probably could put it on other boats, but I dont know much about that.

16. luv2fly2

luv2fly2 Active Member

some very good info. i am learning great stuff. i understand the concept of avoiding rocks but on the ronde in low water you can not avoid them. keep the info coming as that is why we are here.

17. Davy

Davy Active Member

Media:
    BO's foot release anchor systems are made and can be put in any boat I believe.If you ask Hyde I am sure can.

18. Mike Colagrossi

Mike Colagrossi Whammo!

Media:
    Home Page:
    I run a 2002 16.8 WF Clack and have to agree this feature is awesome, my buddy rows a older Hyde and it can be cumbersome at times to release the anchor and take your hands off the sticks but not a huge deal. My boat has the new tunnel hull and I must say it tracks awesome and holds a line great. They have been great with regards to warranty ( I broke a oar and they just said send it in and sent me a new one overnight ) and the people down in Oregon were great. They even shipped the boat from Idaho Falls to Clackamas, OR so I could buy it there and not have to pay sales tax (saved us around (450-500 bucks ). We bought a used boat and they refinished the entire bottom and provided all accessories needed.

I have never run a wood boat or a aluminum boat all I can say is that I am a very satisfied owner of a Clacka, we were looking into Lavro's but their Fly Fishing boat was to expensive for our budget.

Good Luck!

Mike

19. Calvin1

Calvin1 Member

Media:
    I have a 2002 Hyde, and have no complaints. It tracks, turns on a dime, handles the rocks just fine, etc. Having said that, if I were able to get a similar Claka for the same price, I would do it in a heartbeat. I feel that the Claka's just have some additional finishing touches and nice to haves that are absent on the Hyde's. The rod storage is better, the under the seat storage in front and back is better, the Claka's are a bit wider and feel roomier than they Hyde's, I like the fishers station in the back that I believe come standard on the Claka's and are optional on Hyde's of similar length.

Again, I love my Hyde, just my two cents.

Calvin

20. YAKIMA

YAKIMA AKA: Gregory Mine

Is there a REAL difference between a Clack and a Hy...

MY .02 CENTS WORTH.... ITS THE FLOOR UNDER THE ROWING AREA THAT SELLS ME ON THE HYDE. I HAVE HAD BOTH, AND BEEN IN A LOT OF ONES OWNED BY OTHERS. YOU SEE, I HAVE M.S., AND THE FLOOR ON THE CLACK IS A SINGLE LEVEL, SO YOU FEEL THE ACTION OF THE WATER. WHEN YOUR A LITTLE OFF KILTER LIKE I AM USUALLY, THAT ADDED OFF-BALANCE FEELING IS NOT COMFORTING. WITH THE HYDE, YOU HAVE THE SOLID FLOOR UNDERNEATH YOU THAT MAKES IT TO ME, A LOT MORE STABLE AND SECURE FOR THE ROWER WHEN HE STANDS UP. YOU HAVE THE SAME FLEXIBLE BOTTOM UNDER THE PLATFORM/FLOOR OF THE STICK MANS FEET IN THE HYDE. I ALSO LIKE THE WAY THE HYDE GETS THE WATER OUT FROM YOUR FEET AND INTO THE CHANNELS ON THE SIDE. DONT KID ME WRONG, MY M.S. IS NOTHING IN THE SCHEME OF LIFE OR ANY FISHING SITUATION, BUT I DID NOTICE IT WHEN ON THE STICKS IN THE CLACK AND HAVE TO STAND UP TO FISH, OR HELP ONE OF THE KIDS. EITHER WAY YOU WILL BE IN LOVE WITH WHAT YOU GET...
    GREG