Is there a REAL difference between a Clack and a Hyde?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Peter Pancho, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Hey Sinktip, what year is your Alumaweld? I miss mine. I had one as well. Loved that boat, and was excellent for any type of fishing I used it for. Cried the day I sold it (was a wife thing, should've gotten rid of the now exwife instead of the boat). Agree they don't make em like that anymore. You're right, I was gonna say that as well, go with the 16'. You won't complain having that extra length.

One thing to remember if you do go aluminum. Either find someone (or can do yourself) to apply UHMW to the bottom, or make sure use coat it/gluvit on the bottom. Will help sliding over those rocks. You will encounter them, no matter how careful you are. Unless you're on non "glacial" rivers. But most of the Westside rivers are strewn with rocks. And after a flood, usually a rock or two in a spot they normally aren't. I'm very careful with my boats, but occasionally will run over a rock (not actually hit one on the side).

2. Steve Buckner

Steve Buckner Mother Nature's Son

Media:
    Home Page:
    I know that you've been mulling the idea of a new boat around for well over a year. The only thing I can say is just pick one and enjoy the hell out of it!!!

(You better have a boat of your own the next time you post ;)!!!) Seriously though, you can make yourself crazy thinking about it. Just pick one, go with the best info that you've got, and fish! I doubt you'd make a mistake with either boat. For me, I'm happy with the Aluminum Hyde 16.8 guide model, but I'm sure if I bought a Clack, I'd be happy too.

The only advice I could reallly give is to make sure that you get the 16 ft. + boat. Don't go with anything shorter.

Steve Buckner
    www.northwestflyfisherman.com

3. Fishbait

Fishbait New Member

Get a Willie. $3995 brand new out of the box with a new trailer. Two coats of Gluv-it and your in the water. Tracks great, rows great and it's brand new. It's a basic 16X54, not fancy, but you don't even have to grease the wheel bearings. Call Tyler at 1-800-866-7775

4. Davy

Davy Active Member

Media:
    What Skinny says above is gospel-- just about any boat you choose for your first you will love- just fish- if you trully love driftboating it will "only" be your first-over the years you will probably have many, its like flyrods-- why do we keep buying another?

5. sinktip

sinktip Guest

Having a brain freeze right now. It is either an 84 or and 86. Truth in advertising it is actually not mine, I just house it, row it and use it. The owner uses it once or twice a year with me on the sticks. I know, I know but someones got to do it :)

You are right on the Glovit or other coating. Aluminum does not slide well by itself.

6. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Is there a REAL difference between a Clack and a Hy...

Went for a drift on the Satsop yesterday with Fishbait in his Willie. Not having any experience with driftboats, other than a float down the Grays River in a glass 10' "mini-drifter" (almost cramped for two guys, but fits in the back of a full-sized pickup), I can say that I was really impressed by the roominess and stability of a 16 footer.
    I volunteered to row whenever, and Fishbait finally let me row toward the end of the float. Sweet handling! (Although I have nothing to compare it to). I now have a reason to buy a lotto ticket!
    By the way it was an awesome day, the water low (for the Satsop) and clear, and thanks to Fishbait's
    generosity and skillful boat handling, I caught and released a beautiful 6-7# native hen. (We were using gear at the time, "side-drifting," but we would pull over on bars, get out and swing flies when we could--no luck there, unfortunately).
    Fishbait, if you are reading this, thanks again for an incredible day on the Satsop!

Jimbo:thumb

7. jonc50

jonc50 New Member

>BO's foot release anchor systems are made and can be
    >put in any boat I believe.If you ask Hyde I am sure
    >can.
    I'm using an older Clack and have the anchoring system that you need to use your hands to release. How does the
    foot release work? How do you retrieve the anchor while on the oars.

8. nomlasder

nomlasder Active Member

Media:
    The argument is like blondes, brunettes, or redheads.

I prefer the wood boats because of the history, tradition and "feel". The glass and metal boats have their attributes.

I spent a couple very fine days on the Grande Ronde this winter, and very easily steered around the rocks. Awsome acres of boldered pocket water.

My latest drifter is 16"-6" 54" wide with a 6'-6+ beam. Created a bit of a flatened area in the center to gain about 1 1/2 inch on draft. (The last one only draws 7")
    Marine plywood , white oak, and epoxy. I am also putting on a HDPE 60mil over the bottom. I'll let you know if I pull it off.

What ever you fish in, or catch. Just enjoy the fact you get to.

9. willieboat

willieboat Member

Media:

I got my Willieboat new at the 97 Sportman's Show. I paid 4000.00 and change. Since then, I've floted lots of rivers several times, with the Cowlitz being the main one. Easy row, I agree. I've banged it off of Queets rock, dodged Wynoochie rootwads, and rowed all over Hood Canal. No complaints. Every couple of years I coat the bottom with Gluvit. Never gear fished from it though. I usually just use it to get to the gravel bars, hop out and fish. :7

10. Coho

Coho Member

Media:

Hey Peter:

Two Time Hyde owner and long time drift boat fisherman.
    Hydes are awesome boats - but the arguement between Hydes and Clackas are like the Ford truck versus Chevy truck arguement - they are both great boats.

I personally prefer the interior set up of my Hyde to the Clacka - but that is personal preference.
    A couple of thoughts for you;

1. A huge advantage that Hyde has is the new G3 coating system that you can get as an option for their fiberglass boats. It is a polymer that they bond on to the bottom of the boat and it makes the boat basically bullet proof. I guide part time and have had many low water trips down the Yakima as well as other rivers - and not a bit of damage or wear and tear to show for it. The G3 coating makes a glass boat (at least the bottom) as durable or close to as durable as an aluminum boat. And glass is far more comfortable. If you fish the tougher rivers of the OP or the Deschutes - aluminum is nice, but the rivers you mentioned, Cowlitz and Sauk, are fairly easy rivers and glass would work great on both.

2. Row both of them - (Go rent a new Clacka at Red's on the Yakima for $125/day.)

PM me if you want more thoughts or opinions. By the way, if you do get a Clack - I love their "bumblebee" color pattern!

Coho

11. luv2fly2

luv2fly2 Active Member

i have a computer question. how did this topic get called up when the last message was in february and the list goes back to june 5?

12. Peter Pancho

Peter Pancho Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:

Uh, how did this topic get brought up again? It wasn't by me, I already got my Clack almost 3 mos ago.

PS: Hey Coho, I remember you wanting to sell you Hyde long ago, no biters huh?

Peter ><>

Heres my 2001 WF Clack...

13. Coho

Coho Member

Media:

Nice looking boat - looks like you have been frequenting the Rock Garden too!

I sold my 2000 Hyde quite a while ago (the boat in the picture). The new Hyde is white with yellow and blue stripes and Pro-Staff logo on the sides.

I'll look for you on the rivers!

Coho

Hope you will have a fishing experience like the one in Luke Chapter 5:6-11 ! :)

14. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    For Coho . . .

So, THAT'S the Hyde that you keep promising I'll get to ride in and fish out of, but somehow never happens!

Great looking kids, W.G.!

Richard E.

15. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

Hyde glass/alum composite

I heard a horror story the other day about Hyde's coming apart at the joints between the alum & glass just from bouncing around on really rough roads. Like on the Deschutes. Has anyone had any similar experiences? How has Hyde responded to this?

I kind of like some of the design features on those boats. Being able to reconfigure the boat for different applications by un bolting and replacing seats, and lean bars sounds like a good thing. But only if the intregrity of the hull and all of the components remains intact.

Comments?