Is this a rainbow or a steelhead in my profile pic?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by cboston1617, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Preston

Preston Active Member

bassmancaps,
    Certainly not a sea-run cutthroat (harvest trout). Sea-run cutthroat never ascended the Columbia beyond the Klickitat, and no longer go that far upstream. The sea-run cutthroat is the semi-anadromous form of the coastal subspecies of cutthroat (Oncorhynchus clarki clarki) while the cutthroat in the Yakima drainage are of the westslope subspecies (O. clarki lewisi) and do not exhibit anadromy.

2. Yakfish

Yakfish Dad, Angler, Guide

Media:
    Home Page:
    It looks like a nice sized rainbow trout to me. Tight Lines, David

3. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Media:
    I am fairly certain with 5 fly shops and 100+ guides, the Yakima is rated just about fine. It's a great river and I don't think there's a secret riffle on the whole river.

I love that my feeble mind always feels like a great explorer when I tromp 50ft from a freeway :)

4. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    Jesse,
    I was thinking about it from a national perspective. I just don't hear lots of press about it... which is OK mind you... but just saying.

5. Plecoptera

Plecoptera Active Member

While it is one of the better and more accessible trout streams in WA, it is in no way an underrated river. It doesn't get much attention outside of this state for good reason. BC, ID, MT, OR, CA all have numerous trout streams that put it to shame.

A trophy Yak fish (like the one in the picture) would be average in a lot of places in the western US/Canada. Add to this that it gets a ton of pressure and I would say this paints a picture of a somewhat overrated river.

6. Blake Harmon

Blake Harmon Active Member

Media:
    iagree

7. NewTyer1

NewTyer1 Banned or Parked

I;ll also go with fatty bow

8. cboston1617

cboston1617 New Member

View attachment 47580 Well I am happy to see everyone has agreed this is a resident bow! What a fight it was....He kept me pinned down in heavy water as I had to fight to keep him out of a log jam. My partner got a sweet shot of the battle over the jam. I'll post it.

As for the Yak....Waaay to much pressure this past summer and fall. The last time I ran it,(middle of Sept) I counted 15 boats on that section alone.
    Winter fishin' has been a blast though. Personally, I am much more comfortable out in the cold just because I'm alone! Right.

Thanks to all who replied.

9. jeff27

jeff27 GUN SLINGER

here is an article worth reading!

It may sound crazy, but steelhead and rainbow trout are really the same creature. More to the point, “rainbow trout” don’t actually exist. Oncorhynchus mykiss is a type of salmon, one whose members sometimes stay in freshwater and sometimes descend to the sea, but those are behavioral decisions, not genetic ones.

If you find such a notion startlingly, your jaw might drop when you read “The Importance of Resident Steelhead (rainbow trout)” by Dick Burge posted on the Wild Steelhead Coalition’s website. The article articulates why healthy resident steelhead populations are essential to recovering ocean-going (anadromous) steelhead populations, then goes on to explain why Washington state’s trout angling regulations are hindering steelhead recovery. Consider this small excerpt:

“Resident steelhead spawn with anadromous steelhead throughout their range… Studies have shown that 20 to 40% of returning anadromous steelhead have at least one resident parent and often have two.”

Photo courtesy of US EPA
    That’s right. Many wild steelhead have two “rainbow trout” for parents.

For the full article, and to learn more about the Wild Steelhead Coalition’s efforts, visit:

http://wildsteelheadcoalition.org/2...teelhead-in-washington-the-need-to-fully-pro/

10. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

I thought it might be an Asian Carp!

Caught it on the Yak, you say?