ISO Camping/Fishing Near WA Wine Countries

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by ceviche, Apr 25, 2005.

1. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
    I know I pitched this question around at the Dry Falls Outing, but I still need help on it. Later this week, my sweetie and I plan on driving through the Walla Walla and Yakima Wine countries on our way back to Seattle. We are hoping to find a good camping spot that's by fishing--or good trout fishing by camping. At one point, we were thinking of the way-upper Cle Elum, but those waters are closed until June. As far as I can tell, the same goes for the rivers and tribs around Walla Walla. At this point, it's starting to look like Red's--which we've already done and would like to save as the best possible back up. Are there any other suggestions that ties together bank fishing and camping? We are willing to go at least a moderate ways off the driving corridor to find open waters and camping. Camping aesthetics is helpful.

2. Wimpywade94

Wimpywade94 New Member

The only thing that i can think of being ipen right now is tucannon that has trout fishing and camping through this part, and even it is out of you way quite a bit,

mabey look at madam dorian state park for camping, not sure how much fishing there is to be had with flys though, i usally go for catfish, and there is a HUGE carp pond with lots of bass in it, but very hard to catch both,

the campground is right at the wallula walla walla junction.
    wade

3. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Be careful about skinny water as both the Tucannon and the Touchet are closed now. Just letting you know.

Jim

4. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
  5. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
    Hmm. Thanks, Jim. So it looks like the Walla Walla region is out.

Does anyone know much about the tribs of the Yak? What about Wenas Creek and the Manastash? I know Wenas Lake is open, but what about the waters above and below? Is the creek even fishable? Way above the lake is a campground that the Audubon Society uses for their Memorial Day birding gathering. I was wondering what that stretch of water might be like.

6. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    It's funny that you should ask about the Manastash. It is one of my favorite skinny waters,but alas it is closed until the 1st of June. Just about the only thing open around there is the Yakima and the some of the small lakes around Ellensburg and Cle Elum.

About all that is left to do is to sample some of the wine from the wineries ptyd ptyd .

Jim

7. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
    I thank everyone for their contributions. At this point, like how I suggested it would turn out, it looks like it's going to be Red's on the Yak.

At the same time, I wonder if anyone knows of camping available anywhere in the Snoq Forks area. With all the recent changes done up there to deter squatters, I put out the question strongly suspecting that there isn't.

8. Scott Behn

Scott Behn Active Member

Media:
    The only place I have camped out on the snoqualmie is at Tinkham, but that was a few years ago ('93ish). Back then it was somewhat secluded and primative, but loved it.

:thumb:

9. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Tinkham is still closed . Won't open up till around Memorial Day weekend if then. And that is on the S/F. Can't miss the signs coming down I-90 over the pass. That is just about the only place to camp on the S/F except for Denny Creek. As for the Middle Fork, I think that all the camping is day use now. They closed it down and I think that it might of cut down on some of the vandlisim(sp). As for the N/F I'm not to sure on that. That river is a hit and miss about all I know about it. But there might be some spots along Lennox Creek but that creek isn't open as of yet.

Isn't June 1st ever going to get here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :beathead:

Jim

10. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
    iagree Amen!