Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Issues

1K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Bob Triggs 
#1 ·
So I have been having trouble pulling anything out of the Puget Sound since I moved here in January which I attributed to my lack of knowledge of tides and timing and all the weird salt water things I'm not used too. However! Yesterday I went and fished to south sound area for a while and had fish jumping all over the beach in random spots for about an hour. I threw about 10 different flies at these bad boys and never got a single hit. Any suggestions for why I'm being goose egged every time?

#4 ·
Harry:

My guess is the fish were recently released resident coho. There are several sites which release these fish. The main ones are net pens on the north side of Squaxin Island and Minter Creek hatchery at north end of Carr Inlet. I believe they are still doing releases from the latter site. The released fish are normally in the 7 inch range. At the former site they are trying to hold the fish for a longer period so that they will not be as likely to outmigrate to the ocean. If you were fishing in the Tacoma area, the fish which you saw were probably from Minter Creek hatchery.

Roger

#8 ·
Harry,

One thing that really helped me improve my Puget Sound fishing was taking a saltwater fly tying class at my local fly shop. I learned to tie great local patterns that I couldn't buy at any fly shop or catalog (most saltwater patterns sold are low quality flies produced in Asia). During each class we learned 2-3 new patterns and discussed what they imitated, targeted species, and how to fish them. When you start cranking out your own flies you will find they will fish much better, and you can tie them to be durable on the beach. The best beach fishing in Puget Sound runs from July - October, so you have plenty of time to prepare.

Good Luck

#11 ·
Harry,
While Seattle beaches do produce some SRC's, I'd consider them better salmon beaches then SRC beaches. If you want good SRC fishing, point your car south or take a ferry ride west.
Consider fishing beaches at different tidal stages and keep notes of the tides you fished. Once you start hooking up fish, you'll start to see patterns form. You'll develope a list based on which beaches fish the best based on certain tides.
Also note how the weather and wind were the day you fished. This will come in handy when the weather gets ugly as some beaches offer protection from the elements. One of my favorite beaches fishes great on a incoming tide with a strong south wind as the north side of the beach gives protection from the wind.
I second Dimebrite's suggestion of a tying class. Catching a fish on your own flies is very rewarding. Shops like The Avid Angler also offer saltwater fishing classes that will help shorten your learning curve.

Good luck and keep at it.
SF

#13 ·
Some very good references for this fishing are Les Johnson's book: "Fly Fishing CoastalCutthroat Trout", (see book reviews here in the fly fishing book reviews), an earlier work of his: "The Sea Run Cutthroat Trout", and Les Johnson and Bruce Ferguson's: "Fly Fishing PacificSalmon" both from Amato Books, Steve Raymond's book: "The Estuary Fly Fisher", Doug Rose's books, especially: "Fly Fishing Guide To The Olympic Peninsula", from Amato Books, and his numerous essays and articles, (see , Northwest Fly Fishing, Fly Fisherman Magazine, Fly Rod & Reel etc.), and Chester Allen's new book, from Stackpole Books: "Fly Fishing Sea Run Coastal Cutthroat Trout", (http://watermagic.typepad.com/), and Richard Stoll's great new book: "Fly Fishing Inshore Saltwaters For Pacific Salmon", (www.westsoundangler.com). This would be a very solid library of information that represents, collectively, hundreds of years of on the water experience. I also like the old school wisdom of Roderick Haig-Brown, and Enos Bradner, whose books are still available used, or as reprints. The kind of books you never stop learning from. These Saltwater Forum pages here are chock-a'-block with good stories, advice, sharing and fishing reports. Read them all. it will take a while. But don't forget to get out there and do some fishing of your own. Time on the water! . . . No book or internet forum can do that for you.

I still take each day on the water as a new adventure, always expecting something new, some new experience or lesson, some surprise. It will help you to become a good observer, a student of the fish and their environs; Their forage species; Their seasonal patterns of feeding and movement; Their regional habits; The weather tides and currents etc. The more you get out there and haunt the beaches, bays and estuaries, at every stage of tide, sometimes without fishing, just to watch it all moving, evolving, a dynamic process- the more you will begin to get the feel of it all. Facts and figures will only get you so far with these wild fish. You still have to put in your time. Be it the fish of the first cast, or the fish of a thousand casts: every single one of them is a miraculous gem of evolutionary survival. Try to appreciate every one. The experience can change you. http://olympicpeninsulaflyfishing.blogspot.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.