It Finally Worked

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by GAT, Jun 9, 2013.

1. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,121 / 0
    Here's a version of a Seal Bugger that I've carried around with me for a number of years. I'd try it from time to time but tied it on a size 6 hook and had little success with the pattern. Just for the heck of it, a few weeks ago I tied up a half dozen on a size 10 hook with a black bead head. Yesterday, it was THE pattern for catching trout.

I blended my own dubbing for the body. It's a mix of black dyed rabbit hair (Hairline)and shredded bits of olive Light Bright(Spirit River). Black and olive are good colors for patterns I use on Oregon lakes so I figured I'd make some dubbing that included the two colors. Normally, I don't do so well with sparkle dubbing but in this case, the addition of the olive sparkle did the trick. I looked at the pattern in the water and the body glowed dark olive in the sunlight.

I think I was tying the pattern too large. In the smaller size, the trout loved it.

It has no name... it's kind'a a black Seal Bugger but not really.

IMG_0003_edited-1.jpg
  2. Brian Thomas Active Member

Kamloops B.C
    Ratings: +97 / 0
    That pattern would do well on the local lakes here .:)
  3. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Today I'm tying up some additional patterns in size 10 and will also tie a few in size 12. This could be one of those patterns where smaller is better.
  4. Brian Thomas Active Member

Kamloops B.C
    Try some in red (I like angora) .
    It`s my favorite color for the Kamloops lakes .
  5. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +889 / 1
    I like maroon leeches also. I usually carry black, dark olive and maroon leeches in my fly box exclusively. I do have some oddball chartreuse/black wooly buggers that are good attention getters.
    KevinLS likes this.
  6. Brian Thomas Active Member

Kamloops B.C
    I would`nt leave home without at least a few maroon leeches . They seem to work best for me at dusk .
    KevinLS likes this.
  7. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    A burgundy colored leech pattern with a black bead head has worked well for me from time to time.