It pays to learn beaches at low tide and year to year

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by cutthroat kid, Jun 23, 2013.

1. cutthroat kid

cutthroat kid cut throat kid

Since starting out 2 years ago as novice to beach fishing, I would often hear discussions about how certain beaches fish on incoming or outgoing tides and would get advice to go to different spots at a beach on incoming or outgoing tides.

What I am noticing now is that beaches change year over year and even the places where fish hold change by the hour on certain beaches.

I noticed muscle beds at a beach in an area at low tide this year where I had seen none in the past. I have fished 15 times in that same area and never caught anything in the past.
    Sure enough as I passed through that area today when the tide came in I caught several fish.

I noticed at another beach around a point even when the tide chart indicated very little water flow for that time period that , as the tide moved out I was able to access a big drop off area when the rest of the beach was gentle sloping ground. All sorts of fish were in that area. You can't just go by what shops and people tell you. You have to put in time and learn the beaches for your self.

2. Chester Allen

Chester Allen Fishing addict and scribbler

Home Page:
    All this is very true.... It pays to go out and fish the beach at all stages of the tide. A beach that is dead at one stage can come alive when changing water levels create rips, dropoffs or other structure.

3. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Media:
    I agree and found the same true with salmon beach fishing.

Chester. I really enjoyed your fly fishing radio show! Just recently downloaded it, Thanks for the information and Sea run talk. Also prompted me to begin reading your book that has been on my shelf since Christmas and I am fishing Had lock this weekend with renewed interest! :)

4. Chester Allen

Chester Allen Fishing addict and scribbler

Home Page:
    Jeff, I'm glad you've found my book helpful. This fishery is so addictive and so much fun....

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  5. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Where can I find this radio show? I'm out of range for any radio waves. All I get here on the coast are ocean waves.

I'm trying to get back up to the rainshadow and fish a beach within the next few days, but I'm fishing a river tomorrow.

6. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Media:
    http://www.askaboutflyfishing.com/speakers/chester-allen/chester-allen.cfm

Look around at other shows Jim, you will find many of interest. Chester's show was great. Doug Rose has one and lots of names you will recognize

I went down to the cut between Indian island and the Quimper peninsula to check it out at low tide.

7. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Thansk for the link, Jeff.

I have fished there a couple of times. The cutthroat there get more opportunities for education, I think, and aren't as gullible as some of their more rural siblings.
    The beach I have in mind is closer to my dad's house out near Sequim. I was going to try to be there this morning, until I got invited to go fish a river in another area tomorrow. Its a wetside river that I've been wanting to fish, so I postponed the beach fishing. I think the tides will still be fishable on Monday.

Jeff Dodd likes this.