It's a little quiet back here so.......

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by IveofIone, Jan 5, 2012.

1. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

.....so I'm sharing my chocolate chip cookie recipe. I'm sure we have all eaten dozens of these things over the years and quite frankly most are forgettable. The usual recipe for Toll House cookies on the back of a Nestle's package seems to be the standard. Unfortunately that recipe calls for Nestle's chocolate chips so it is doomed from the outset.

Let's do something a little different.
    1 c (2 sticks) softened salted butter
    1/2 c sugar
    1 1/2 c packed brown sugar
    2 eggs
    2 tsp vanilla extract (preferably something like Penzy's, not that insipid crap they sell in the supermarket)
    12 oz all purpose flour. If you don't have a scale that is about 2 3/4 c
    1 tsp kosher salt or about 3/4 tsp sea salt. Avoid iodized table salt
    1 tsp baking soda
    2 1/4 c chocolate chips. Here is where you make or break your cookies. Use a 10 oz package of Ghiradelli 60% Cacao bittersweet chocolate chips. To make up the balance of the 2 1/4 cups of chips I like to use a few of the new Nestle's Dark Chocolate chips that come in the large size. This gives a good blend of flavors and results in a cookie that has far more chocolate than the usual cookie.

Follow the directions on the chocolate chip package for assembly and bake at 360 deg for 11-14 minutes. I bake until the cookies collapse and that is usually just about perfect. I bought some scoops that release the cookie dough by squeezing the handle and find that my largest scoop makes a cookie about 4 1/2'' in diameter. This produces about 9 or 10 cookies on a large sheet without crowding. These are so rich and chocolaty that one is all I can eat at a time but man are they ever good. You'll never look a Toll House cookie in the eye again after you try these.

A note about storing: Do not use a cookie jar! Once the cookies have cooled load them in a plastic freezer bag and get them into the freezer. This will keep them crisp and flavorful when you pull them out whereas a cookie jar will destroy all your good work in a couple of days. I like to pull them out and nibble on them while they are still frozen but 10 seconds in the microwave will thaw them nicely.

Let me know if these aren't about the best you have ever eaten. If they are not then I sure as hell need YOUR recipe!

Ive

2. NewTyer1

NewTyer1 Banned or Parked

I may give it a try today. I even have the chips that it calls for. Thanks for the recipe

3. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Looks good Ive, but what about adding some oatmeal and chopped walnuts?

Sg

4. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    Thanks Ive. My mouth is watering now...

5. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Media:
    Thanks, Ive! That's a hell of a cookie. Just washed down the first one with a glass of milk.

I used Trader Joe's 72% dark chocolate cut from the big bar. I fully agree that real chocolate makes a real difference.

6. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Troutpocket, Glad you liked it. Trader Joe's is about 100 miles away from here but if I ever get down there on a wine run I am picking up some of that chocolate! I have always been appalled but what passes for chocolate in this country but if you were raised on Hershey bars what could you expect? Things are just now starting to turn around for us chocolate lovers as more discriminating taste evolve. And what better place to showcase it than the time honored chocolate chip cookie.

I think I'll eat two......

Ive

7. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    Watch those calories Ive, you might have to split wood!!!

8. gldntrt40

gldntrt40 From NEAR, the muddy banks of the Wishkah...

Media:
    allergic to chocolate : )
    and bass fisherman : O

9. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Media:
    Ive -

Just finished loading another batch into the freezer. As you are likely aware, refrigerating the dough for a couple hours before baking the cookies results in a slightly thicker, chewier finished product. This one's a keeper, folks!

Rod