"It's not if you fall in, it's when!" Slickest river bottoms.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Dave Hartman, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Hey guys.
    As I'm drilling my third pair of cleats into my boots this year, it got me to wondering what's the most treacherous river bottom there is to fish. In my travels, I've had lots of people tell me such-and-such river is "slicker'n'snot", "the slipperiest river there ever was", etc.

Here's my five picks, from worst to deadliest:

5) Middle Big Hole
    4) Salmon River, New York
    3) Clearwater River, ID (the ledges above Lenore!)
    2) Any jetty on the Maine coast (ok, not a river. . .)
    And hands down:
    1) The lower Deschutes. So ridiculously slick with coffin-deep, no-see-um channels.

What'd I miss?

2. The aptly named "Slippery Rock Creek" in Western Pennsylvania has got to be number one on my all time list.

3. Don't forget about the Stilly right off of I-5. Fell in there twice with no change of clothes. Boy that was a miserable day on the water.

4. Not a "slippery situation" but entertaining...

Day 2 of a Silver trip @ Cordova Alaska. The river was blown out from all nite rains. That morning we were walking through braided channels looking for a way upstream. I was walking at a brisk pace with rod in hand and stepped halfway across a 3 foot wide 'trickle' expecting it to be 2 inches deep. That trickle was chest deep (soft sandy bottom dug out)! I lunged forward...throwing the rod and managed to keep the water out...barely.

5. rock creek montana and the Wenatchee would be up there in my book.

6. Thompson River, BC

7. ...must be near Slimy Pebble University (aka Slippery Rock University).

8. top of my list would be the san juan river in new mexico and then the middle provo here in utard

9. It's a toss up between the Sky, the Stilly(S/F) or the Tolt. I've done a couple of fast river shuffles on all three of these rivers.

Jim

10. the spokane river has a few sections that are rediculas. round slime covered rocks under 3-4 feet of water that range in size from a baseball up to the size of a beachball. just not a solid place to put a foot and many rocks are loose.

11. I've heard the Thompson is the worst. For me it's the Karta River, AK, and parts of the lower Elwha.

12. I agree with the middle Big Hole. The lower Shoshone in Cody WY in July can be slicker than the back side of a Reno hooker on payday!

13. Rock Creek in Montana is pretty slick and the lower section of the Yakima River (below the dam) is slippery as well.

14. :rofl:
    People have jobs in Reno?

15. You guys must be quite graceful, 'cause I could fall into a mud puddle! Anyway, can't say the Yak or any water I fish is slick at all...

16. O.K., I fell in once below the dam:(

17. N. Umpqua!

18. how about the cedar! I did one of those "completely in the air and comin' down ass first" kind of falls there. still hurts to think about...

19. Good call Dustin on the Spokane !! That thing has almost killed me !!!

20. fricking classic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: