"It's not if you fall in, it's when!" Slickest river bottoms.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Dave Hartman, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

Media:
    Klamath below Iron Gate.

2. wolverine

wolverine Member

Over the years I've probably fished the Thompson 30 days. I've fell every damm day at least once up there. No deep wading up there. The N Umpqua in the summer is right up there. When you slip on one of the ledges there you end up swimming in deep water.

3. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Thompson and Wenatchee are the slickest rivers I've ever had the pleasure of wading. Haven't taken a bath in either of them however. Probably cuz I wear my stream cleats when fishing there.

Sg

4. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

The Sol Duc in the summer near Sappho has some slick rocks. I did a spazzo tapdance and broke my rod tip while flailing for balance and got a wet arm, but I didn't completely lose my footing and go down.

5. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

ABSOLUTLY the fly only section of the North Umpqua. The running joke about the N U is 'when you first get there, throw yourself into the river and get the your first dunking of the day out of the way.'

The river bottom is all flat highly polished lava rock. Studs/felt will not hold on the bottom .... period. Only place I either 'wet wade' (summer) or don't go near the water without Dan Bailey 'Stream c\Dleats' over boots (soft alum bars on the bottom).:ray1:

6. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

SG, note you also mentioned 'stream cleats' in your post. At $50.00 they're the cheapest life insurance policy you can buy.:thumb:

Fred

7. LT

LT Member

Media:
    From three pages of responses it appears we've come to the conclusion that every river in the Pacific NW and beyond is pretty dam slippery with maybe the Thompson taking the cake as Slipperiest.

8. tythetier

tythetier Fish Slayer

Media:
    THE CROOKED RIVER IN CENTRAL OREGON. SLICKER THAN A USED CAR SALESMAN.

9. junebug41

junebug41 Junior Dave Monti fan

Media:
    How can so many people be overlooking the lower section of the Middle Fork Snoqualmie?! Nothing but smooth, round boulders covered with inch-thick, greasy mud. Absolutely brutal.

10. b8is

b8is New Member

Media:
    The Lochsa is snot-slippery.

11. Capt. Awesome

Capt. Awesome Member

Media:
    Another vote for the Crooked. It sucks you in with shallow, easy to wade, ankle-deep runs and then bowls you over with inches-thick layers of rock-snot covered substrate. It's so bad, I've slipped on gravel,

The Middle Deschutes can be bad too. Especially the parts where the river is running on the sharp lava. Arguably, the worst part about the Middle D isn't the wading IN the river, it's the wading TO the river. At low water, you have to navigate 100 yards of marshy bull-rushes, beaver dam skeletons, dead-end side channels, and mosquito infested sinkholes JUST to get to the river itself.

12. Snake

Snake tryin' not to get too comfortable

I usually wear studded wading boots, so (knock on wood) I've never had much problem.

The lower Selway can be pretty slick, as I learned wet wading with tennis shoes one summer.

It's not just a problem on rivers: There's a section of the Olympic coast North of Cape Johnson/Chilean Memorial which is about 1/2 mile of algae-covered basketball-sized rocks. I met a guy with a bloody nose on that section, and instantly knew what happened. It's certain pain (if not death!) unless you have hiking poles to help keep from totally wiping out.

13. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Thompson, BC
    Not only are the rocks incredibly slippery but they are exactly the wrong size for upright bipedal motion.

14. Connor Parrish

Connor Parrish Member

Media:
    Has to be the Grand Ronde..... i have to inch my way out to fishable water when the river is high.

15. Tricky

Tricky Member

My vote goes to the M.F. Snoqualmie, or Rock Ck., Mt., but in those places the worst you'll get is wet. In Maryland there's a semi-urban river called the Patapsco., which someone smart once told me is a Susquehanna indian word that means "slow water that smells bad". The human de-comp and huge snapping turtles make it a good time. Cheers!

16. Jesse

Jesse Member

North Umpqua

17. JS

JS Active Member

Media:
    Apparently the Sol Duc...........two weeks ago we had four guys on a three day float, and no one survived without a good dunking.

18. greenriver

greenriver Member

how long is the shank on the cleats you are putting in your boots?
    will stainless sheat metal screws from the hardware store work
    as well?

19. Dave Hartman

Dave Hartman is tired of trout

Media:
    Yeah, they work for a few days and then the metal wears down too smooth. Certainly better than none, and as cheap as they are, it's easy enough to swap them out. Pre-drill the holes to make it easier on yourself.

20. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    The Canyon hole just below Willoughby after the rock garden on the Hoh. Have pulled out and banked on that ledge to the right a few times. Zero vis, and that ledge is covered in algie (sp?). Have slipped off and dunked and have watched several over the years do the same thing. Great hole to fish, but that first hookset literally slides you off the ledge everytime.