It's not yo' mama's rifle shot...

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Mark Walker, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

2. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Mom used open sights. Pretty impressive marksmanship.

3. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    he was lucky that one tumbling bullet hit the target. And he picked a no wind day.

Alex MacDonald likes this.
  4. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    For him to hit the target at that range, he'd still probably hit the target with wind. Pretty amazing talking to guys who are trained on shooting at these distances. Hell, just spin drift, curvature and speed of the rotation of the earth has an effect on the travel of the bullet at this range. Then factor in humidity, any wind, elevation, etc has huge effects as well. But for a no wind day, I'd be hard pressed to tap even near the target. LOL.

5. zen leecher aka bill w

Media:
    The tumbling bullet hit was lucky. I've had bullets tumble on me and form a 3 foot group at 100 yards. They are not stable.

6. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    Yup, that's why he missed his second shot. But tagged the rest. :)

7. zen leecher aka bill w

Media:
    The target's roughly 3/4 MOA wide by 1 MOA high. I would expect a good shot to hit that close to every time. There's no wind, no mirage and it's perfect conditions. Also the .338 has an excellent windbucking bullet (if needed) and an adequate velocity. The gun was previously dialed in for the distance and conditions.

Let's see something that should be simple for him like tagging a sitting fly at 300 yards.

I've done my share of paper popping and would like to see a simple fly shot.

8. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    LOL, I'm sure someone could do it. Especially guys who have to hit at that range could probably tap a much tighter group (especially with that rifle) at 300 yards. But still, even dialed in. You have to know the rifle. I've watched guys grabbed dialed in rifles and fire out to 1,000+ meters and not come close to tagging these style targets. But with a 308 mind you. Gotta think, even at that range, that reticle being a fraction of a hair off, sends that bullet yards off the target. I'm not that expert of a shot, but my BIL (and a few other guys I know trained for this) could tell you exactly how much a smudge could throw you off.

9. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    So true, Jerry! .338 Lapua Mag is an awesome round!

10. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Media:
    Almost had a chance to buy the same make rifle. A guy had it at Range 15 on JBLM, trying to get a decent group at 100 yards. Closest he could come was a two inch group. I watched him shoot and he was flinching badly, jerking the trigger and anticipating the recoil. When I offered him $1,000 he thought hard about it, but then declined. He went back to flinching and I went back to shooting 4 inch targets at 300 yards with an AR-15.

Alex MacDonald likes this.
  11. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    Adams and I came across a guy with a custom Christianson .300 Win mag one day at the Fancher Heights range in Wenatchee. The thing weighed about 5 pounds with the kevlar-wrapped barrel, and his flinch must have been 6 inches when he touched it off. Fun to watch:eek: People think you need a cannon, but what you really need is a gun that you can actually shoot. I haven't looked at the twist rate in those Savages, but I do know that my Howa M-1500 can't take the 6mm Scenar; I get tumbling right out the muzzle!

Ron Eagle Elk likes this.
  12. zen leecher aka bill w

Media:

I agree Alex. I won't say "beware the man with one gun" but trigger time on a gun that shoots good and you can easily handle is very valuable. I'm old school and appreciate a person that can do the calculations in their head and not refer to a PDA.

Ron Eagle Elk and Alex MacDonald like this.
  13. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

I don't like recoil anymore (read: guns that kill at one end and detach retinas at the other), but I wouldn't mind playing around with a 6.5 Grendel, if brass were a bit easier to obtain. A guy was at the range with a .338 Lapua a few years ago; he had a flinch that rivaled the one Alex described. I shot it just fine & suggested that he try the '06 he had also brought with him. He shot that much better. He was shooting off of a lead sled & I believe the muzzle blast from the bossed .338 barrel had more to do with his flinch than the recoil did.