It's That Time Of Year!!! SRCs on the Cowlitz!

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Breck, Aug 13, 2014.

1. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Whatever.

2. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

It's still a reversed spider. Just the feathers are a different color. People always are changing feathers on flies, but in the end they are still what they are.

3. Breck

Breck Active Member

Not terribly difficult. A razor-sharp fillet knife is the key. Put the fillet skin side down on a cutting board. Start at the tail end of the fillet. I usually grip the very end with my fingertips of my left hand and run the knife at a slight angle between the skin and meat. Usually comes off pretty easily.

4. Breck

Breck Active Member

I'll go ahead and change it for you. I would hate to feel responsible for ruining someone's day with my reckless mis-application of fly pattern credit. I'll change it in the OP to read "Kinney Reverse Spider", then all of your butthurt can just melt away. Please stand by....

Kyle Krieg, Peyton00 and tinman207 like this.
  5. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Isn't there a limit on the amount of those Sea runs. I know the size limit is over 12". Plus the take is 2 fish, If you are fishing in a lake and the stream the take is 5 fish. But you didn't say you were in a lake also.

Plus not many people here show pictures of dead fish. And Showing pictures of dead fish that are protected damn near every place else is kind of frowned upon.

6. Breck

Breck Active Member

Oh boy, here we go. There is a daily bag limit, per angler of hatchery SRCs on the Cowlitz of 5 fish. I would never retain a fish under 12" anyway. If you look at the photo, there isn't a fish under 13" to 14".

These fish were legally harvested and eaten, not wasted. If I put up a photo of a legal limit of hatchery fish, I really don't give a fiddler's fart if it's "kind of frowned upon". Far too many people around here are quick to criticize and spray sanctimonious negativity all over threads. Excuse me for wanting to share something with my peers that gives me a lot of fun and entertainment. They are called "harvest trout" for a reason, folks.

7. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Seems like they cleared that up when they mentioned these are hatchery fish. They're even clipped. Also, thanks for sharing Breck.

Breck likes this.
  8. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

They are also called harvest trout in the Stilly but you have to release them. They are called Harvest trout because they return to the rivers about the time they harvest the crops. This was the way it was explained to me over 50 years ago.

Gary Knowels likes this.
  9. Breck

Breck Active Member

Like I said earlier in this thread, I would NEVER kill a wild trout, whether it was legal to do so or not. These are HATCHERY fish. They return to the Cowlitz every year by the hundreds of thousands. These SRCs are a widely ignored fishery on the Cowlitz. In fact, most of the gear salmon/steelhead guys consider them a nuisance as they tend to relentlessly steal bait intended for larger species. My retaining 5 fish on a couple of days throughout the year doesn't even make the tiniest dent in the population. I will not apologize for legally retaining hatchery trout when they come into the system in great abundance.

Peyton00 and underachiever like this.
  10. Dizane

Dizane Coast to Coast

Nice post. I thought I'd heard they had or were going to discontinue the Cowlitz SRC program. I guess that is not the case?

11. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Breck, I am more than willing to help you rid the river of those nasty hatchery brats. Just give me a call.

Gary Knowels likes this.
  12. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

1. Why are you hotspotting the Cowlitz - Now it will be crowded!!!
    2. Why are those fish on the rocks?!
    3. How did you catch so many same time?
    4. When is the next float plane trip to the Cowlitz?
    5. Why didn't you properly cite the fly tier with a link to his website and a hyperlink mention?
    6. Nice report, hope to get on the river with ya again sometime soon ;)
    It's cool that WFF has basically turned into the man View.

13. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

JesseC, "man View."
    2 thumbs up!!

JesseC likes this.
  14. tinman207

tinman207 Active Member

Thanks for sharing....looks like fun! Sounds delicious too! I have a brine and smoke recipe for trout that my dad passed down to me from my grandfather. I rarely even keep planters, but occasionally I will fill the smoker with a batch....definitely my favorite way to eat them. I'm going to try your fillet method though....sounds great.

15. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

"fillet method"
    The thought of it is making my mouth water and stomach growl.

16. Tyler Axel

Tyler Axel Buenos Hatches Ese

Good god, the hyenas are quick to pounce on here... Hatchery fish, fins clipped, kept within the regs by fly fishers on the Cowlitz... if you have a problem with that you shouldn't be fishing at all. Go plant a tree in a park and watch it grow...

17. Preston

Preston Active Member

Just a couple of historical notes on the Knudson Spider and the Reversed (Kinney) Spider:
    Al Knudson developed his Yellow Spider (as he called it) as a steelhead fly on the Rogue River. Bringing it back with him when he returned to Everett in the 1930s, it quickly became a favorite sea-run cutthroat fly on the Stillaguamish and other rivers. Originally tied in yellow with mallard flank hackle, it quickly came to be tied in many different colors and with different waterfowl flank feathers. Al sometimes tied a grizzly hackle beneath the mallard flank to "prop" it up and give it more body but this is usually omitted (probably because it doesn't work). The tail is another feature usually omitted today. This simple soft hackle became a standard "style" of fly in the northwest and has commonly come to be referred to to as a "Knudson Spider".

In the 1970s, Mike Kinney developed his pattern, which he referred to as a Reverse (or Reversed) Spider. Its kinship with the Knudson Spider is obvious, but differs in that the hackle is reversed, tied forward in a conical orientation out and over the eye of the hook. Originally tied with a hackle of waterfowl flank (and later with Lady Amherst or Golden pheasant tippet), this style affords much more movement of the hackle and seems to be very attractive, not only to cutthroat but also to salmon and steelhead, and in in salt water as well as the rivers for which it was originally developed.

IMG_0865.JPG
    IMG_0846.JPG IMG_0862.JPG IMG_0867.JPG

Starman77, mtskibum16, JesseC and 2 others like this.
  18. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Oh for crying out loud, I merely pointed out that the fly you had in your picture was a reverse spider commonly credited to Mike Kinney. Get over yourself dude.

19. GAT

GAT Active Member

And the difference between a soft hackle and a "spider" is????

:)

20. plaegreid

plaegreid Saved by the buoyancy of citrus

QUIT POKING THE BEARS, GENE!

Old Man likes this.