I've never seen a guide do this before...

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by para_adams, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I used to do it a LOT when I have my 16' Cataraft. Harder then hell to pull plugs with it. Would just want to run and run and run. So trying to track the boat was tough, let alone go slow to make plugs work correctly. I would get out and do same thing (or drop anchor and slowly release anchor line to do same thing).

2. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I should add. Rowing laps is DEFINITELY a common practice in the gear guiding world. I've seen this many a times. But guy will get out to pull boat back up stream (depending on current, they may row back up or use trolling motor to scoot drifter back up) and then re hit the slot again. I've never seen this fly fishing. My experiences have only been for gear. And for me, it wasn't to pull boat back up again. Usually if I'm in a boat, I take one shot at a run unless I"m on the bank fishing it. If I'm in a boat, I have the ability to cover more water then a bankie will. So don't like taking up a hole that long.

3. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Don't let the assholes get to you. You enjoyed your time on the Big Hole, and that's all that counts. I'm just sorry we couldn't get together. Maybe some other time.

Bob Triggs and para_adams like this.
  4. para_adams

para_adams Active Member

Thanks Jim. I was sorry that we didn't connect either. Thanks again for the tip on the beautiful stream 45 minutes away. One of the more beautiful places I've seen to catch cutts and a hoot to see all the Big Horn Sheep just hanging around the road. Ron

5. silvercreek

silvercreek Active Member

I am not a guide and it has been a loooonnnnggg time since I floated with a guide.

From a wade fly fishers perspective, I see no problem with what the guide did. I think a guide can and should teach, he should prepare his clients for the coming structures that are going to be fished.

But my opinion is that does not preclude the guide also doing what he did to help his client.

I also have no problem with a guide rowing back up to fish a run again AS LONG AS there are no other boats that are about to enter the run. How is this different from a wading fly fisher fishing a run and then going back up stream to fish it again?

As long a there is no other boat or fly fisher that is hindered by fishing the run again, what is the problem?

How much "damage" can a guide walking a boat downstream do compared to a wade fisher that is in the river for hours? Clearly the intent of the guide was to slow the raft and not to "San Juan Shuffle" for his clients.

If we are going to crucify this guide for a side effect of walking the raft downstream, how about crucifying ourselves for unintentionally killing 3-5% of the trout we catch and release?

6. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Media:
    Silvercreek nailed it. 110%
    100% right and a extra 10% for taking the time to post it.

Bob Triggs, Northern and Luke77 like this.
  7. JE

JE Active Member

I've been flyfishing rivers for 20 + years (not a big deal on this site) and have only fished out of a drift boat / raft 6 times at most. I just like to wade I guess. I've seen this practice a number of times and always kind of wondered about the risk involved if you slip or lose the boat. Especially with less agile clients on board. I fall all the time while wading, don't get me wrong, but I'm still just responsible for myself.

Old Man likes this.
  8. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Media:
    Home Page:
    I was wondering the same thing, seems like a risk that, in rare circumstance, could pay off badly. Anyone lost an anchor before? Better to lose and anchor than to be the human anchor with your leg wedged in some boulder or tree jamb and that drift boat pulling you in all the tighter

9. g_smolt

g_smolt Recreational User

Media:
    Walking a boat thru a run is easier than wading without anything to lean on. Pretty common practice here in AK, especially on larger rivers with fish holding outside the majority of guests wading/casting range. I would rather walk a boat with 2 guests down a smolt riffle than have them wade it - if I feel myself slipping, I have a boat to grab on to and we fish the run "a little faster"... If they slip, they fall, and I have to deal with wet, pissed off, and humiliated guests the rest of the day.

I should add that these are jet skiffs I am talking about...easy to hold in fast water, a bitch to row in any water.

Bob Triggs likes this.
  10. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I've been fishing for over 50 years, one way or another. I can count on one hand as to my floating down a river in any kind of craft. I think about four times will do it. I've always waded, wet or dry.

11. PT

PT Physhicist

Jim, good for you. Others, like myself, enjoy rowing our boat as much as fishing out of it.

I don't have any problem at all with rowing laps thru a run if nobody else is around. Why limit yourself to only one line down the river. Steelhead especially can be distributed throughout a run and giving yourself only one line down the run in the name of sport is kinda silly.

As for the danger of walking a boat thru a run? If you know the run and your own capabilities, it's no problem. I'm a solid wader and walking the boat down a run isn't an issue, to anyone.

Too many people live on absolutes and to me it's misguided. You should NEVER do this or NEVER do that.... Really? Or, I only use 12# Maxima and that's all you ever need. Really? Viewing fishing and floating thru a porthole isn't how we get better at it.

12. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Media:
    Yes, yes, and yes again to everything you said.

13. Codioos

Codioos Active Member

There are some BIG browns in the Big Hole. I floated it in July and had a grin that lasted me a week :D.
    This was a time I was glad to have the Winston b3x over the CT. Put it to work!

para_adams likes this.
  14. JE

JE Active Member

In a society where cultural relativism runs rampant, I find it refreshing to still see folks that live by a good core set of absolutes.

15. silvercreek

silvercreek Active Member

One cannot agree or disagree with your statement unless you define what you specifically mean by "good" in the context of this discussion. What core set of absolutes would you define as good and what as evil and how do they apply?

16. PT

PT Physhicist

Nothing wrong with people living by a set of moral absolutes. But, I'm not talking about a code of morals or ethics society should live by. I'm talking about changing fishing tactics to catch more fish.... or have more fun.

17. pigburner

pigburner Active Member

Media:
    Only time I have seen this behavior in a guide was as a young teenager drifting eggs on the Bella Coola river in BC for steelhead with my dad as the "guide" - except it went a little differently from your experience. My dad would be back-rowing like crazy to keep my brother and I with a good drift in a nice run. I'd cast into the logs on the far side and break off; my brother would cast into the trees and break off; my dad would say something like, "I'm rowing this $*!@# boat to keep you in the hole and neither one of you is fishing!" Then he'd wrap the rope attached to the front of the boat around his neck and jump out with his rod and start casting while we tied on new rigs. A couple times the water was almost over the top of his waders. Scared us so much we got to where we had another rig sitting beside us with sinker and egg cluster already on, and we could tie it on and be back in the water in about 20 seconds, which usually kept dad in the boat...

Irafly and lorenzo bromar like this.
  18. Mingo

Mingo the Menehune stole my beer

Media:
    He wrapped a boat rope around his neck , fished at the same time AND held the boat in place in a swift river with his neck strength? LOL.

Irafly likes this.
  19. hydrological

hydrological beads are NOT flies and snagging is just ghetto

that would be the dumbest thing i've ever heard of anyone ever doing in a boat. is he still alive?

I, personally carry a time machine for my clients, so they can repeat their great day from 3 years ago and i dont have to row back up over and over and over and over and over and over and over;)

20. Trustfunder

Trustfunder Active Member

Here we go...

A positive old man fishing for 50 years that's been in a boat a handfull of times commenting about how it's done.... brillant.

Another suggestion about how this is teaching a person how to fish, doing the same thing over and over in the same area and expecting different results... I think there's a term for that.

Disrespect for the stream bed doing the Yellowstone shuffle, floaters have enough flung at them for being harmful to streambeds around here... nuff said. Go to the Beav and set anchor with the rest of them.

A MT guide via W. Yellowstone now running out of Dillon floating the B. Hole, floating ?? miles pulling the boat upstream... oh boy, where did we go wrong by saying this is right? Next time ask him if he has the transmitter for that 16lb Brown swimming in the canyon.

And this is just trout fishing in MT... unbelievable. Please excuse me if I'm negative.