Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by flipdownflyboy, Oct 10, 2002.

1. flipdownflyboy

flipdownflyboy New Member

I will be in Ixtapa for Thanksgiving with my family. Any one have some good beaches and flies for some inshore fishing. I also may have one day to-do some fly-fishing from a panga, recommendations on local guides who are geared towards fly-fishing? The set-up I am taking is a 7 weight with a floating line in which I have had some success in Cabo fishing for small rosters and other critters. Sorry for so many questions, but I like being prepared.

Thanks

2. Surf_Candy

Surf_Candy Member

Media:
    hey Flip,
    not been there, but just got back from Cabo San Lucas. Not sure if this is rooster season - I think it may be too late. Check the post I made 2 weeks back on the Cabo fishing report - Philster had some good links to articles on panga fishing and what to expect.

I fished for Dorado - a 10 weight was great for the 15# fish and less, and bonito - a 7 weight would be fun! I used 4" surf candy flies - white with light blue, blue and olive on top - I actually had one epoxy fly stripped to the bare hook. Deceivers, whistlers, Dan blanton's sal-dur-mac (spelling??), Steve Abel anchovies and chartreuse/white and olive white clousers were also recommended to me. 1/0 and 2/0 hooks a must and get ones that are beefy - I had 1/0 Mustad hooks and they were bent out of shape after each dorado.

In terms of the guides - not sure if you can get any that are fly-only - if you get one that speaks english and can understand what you want to do - like fish inshore - then you'd be set. I sounds like they might troll hookless lures or bait until they locate fish, then chum with live sardinas while you cast. I've even heard of the guide catching a dorado on conventional tackle and letting is swim around the boat to attract fish into casting range.

In cabo, I went in a fly-fish only boat - they trolled hookless baits to tease the fish into range. We also just drifted and chummed with wounded sardines for the bonito and yellowfin tuna. Had a shot at a 150# blue marlin - what a sight!

i'd look at a sinking tip fly line to get the fly under the surface more quickly. Your 7 weight would probably be too light if you hit a nice Dorado, but you'd get a charge out of it!

don't gorget money for the bait - it's not part of the panga cost - 30-50$ a day is average.

good luck

jim

3. flipdownflyboy

flipdownflyboy New Member

Jim,

Thanks for the report and info. It must have been a thrill to have a shot at a Marlin. Gets your heart racing! I had good luck fishing in shore just outside of the Marina and off of the Rocks at the Arch. Dorado, Rosters and Needle fish. I would hook into a fish almost every cast! I ended up burning through all of my flies; the fish would just strip them bare! I hooked up with a local guide, who happens to be from Seattle and lives down in Cabo half the year and fish the B.A.S.S. tournaments the rest of the year.
    Flip Down Fly Boy!