J. Ryall

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Mike Swanson, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Mike Swanson

Mike Swanson IDFlyFisher

All,

Already posted this on another page, received fgood comments on the rod, not much on the reel.

I am considering purchasing a J. Ryall #8 Standard to match a future Beulah 6/7 Switch Rod. Can anybody give me some opinions on the new reels. I have a #4 Standard that I purchased about 10 years ago, a great reel that has never failed and saved some nice fish.

Don't see them in the shops anymore, just curious if the quality has gone down. Has anybody had recent experience? Still seems to be a quality reel, good price and comparable to a Ross CLA. I have a Ross Cimarron #4 on a SH 8wt... probably could switch out... but each rod "needs" its own reel.

Appreciate the feedback.

Mike

2. Blake

Blake Member

Hi Mike,

I know the daughter of the owner of J. Ryall. He is more passionate about the machining part of the reels and not so passionate about the marketing end. The reels are still made in California. Great reels but I don't know how long they'll be around if they don't jump on the marketing end of things.

3. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    Foot in mouth.

4. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

The spool on my No. 10, which is perfect for 7/8 spey lines, doesn't lock like a bank vault, but the reel and its three spools have held together and performed well. The J. Ryall is almost a small arbor, an attribute which I miss; and I think it's one of the handsomest reels around.

5. Steven Mobley

Steven Mobley Member

"Crappy" is not a word I have ever heard used to describe JRyall reels. They are perhaps some of the finest machined reels produced. I own a half dozen of various sizes and know people who have used them hard for more than 15 years. I'm not sure they're being sold much nowadays, but you can still call them and talk to them. They're located/MADE in Sonora Ca and Jim Ryall, I believe, is still living in Roseville. Mr Ryall, I recall, is a retired engineer and machinist from the aerospace industry and that is evident in every Ryall reel I have ever put my paws on (old standards, standards and palm rims sizes 2, 4, 6 and 8)).

I doubt you could hear any parts shaking in one of his reels. There is nothing loose to make a sound as there are by design few moving parts, other than the Delrin ring, which when combined with the rest of the drag mechanism produces absolutely smooth and flawless performance. These reels are a little heavier than the newer reels being produced, but one heck of a lot more durable all around. Salt water does not bother them and the drag mechanism, IMHO, beats cork.

Steve

6. Mike Swanson

Mike Swanson IDFlyFisher

Thanks, for the comments... anybody else out there, this thread has had lots of views?

Panhandle, are you sure? How long ago was the last time you handled one? Did you ever fish one? If they were/are so bad, I ask myself why sell them as opposed to say a Ross, of which I own 2. I believe both reels to be comparable.

Thanks,

Mike

7. surfnfish

surfnfish Member

I have almost 15 years on my Ryall, which has been mounted on two different 8 wts, and is used with two spools. it's been submerged countless times in rivers, and fished in the snow and hundred degree plus heat. The drag remains perfect, and it is as tight as the day i bought it.

8. Mike Swanson

Mike Swanson IDFlyFisher

Steve,

Have you seen the reels recently? My #4 Standard is great... 10 years old... easily as nice as my Ross reels. Do you have any opinion on how a #8 Standard would fit a 6/7 Beulah switch?

Thanks, agree, crappy is a pretty ard description.

Mike

9. Mike Swanson

Mike Swanson IDFlyFisher

Surfnfish,

What J. Ryall so you have? The 6/7 switch will tak 8-9wt line. Your thouhgts on #8 Standard?

Thanks,

Mike

10. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    Yes I have used them. Having said that, the reel we sold was cheap,and yes, junk. This was 10 years ago. As well, my experience using them was even longer ago than that. I didn't know enough Back then to form an opinion. Having said that, disregard my post. I don't have enough legitamate experience with the company to have a valid opinion.

11. Mike Swanson

Mike Swanson IDFlyFisher

Are there any other opinions on the Meiser System 6 Switch rod match up with a #8 Standard?

Really interested in hearing if anybody is carrying the J. Ryall reels. I have been unable to get any resposne from their website addresses.

Thanks,

Mike

12. Steven Mobley

Steven Mobley Member

Sorry I don't know much about the rod, but keep in mind the Ryall #8 should weigh enough to balance most modern graphite rods from 6-9wt less than 11'. A Tioga is a similar size n weight and might be just a tad cheaper.

Steve

13. shotgunner

shotgunner Anywhere ~ Anytime

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm going to agree with Nooksack Mac. If your set on the J. Ryall [and it seems so] jump into the #10 and get up to 3.75" diameter.. still minimal in my opinion on a 10.5' rod [I'm partial to larger dia reels] but better than 3.4" of a #8 and only .6 of an ounce increase.

In your shoes I'd get the rod in hand, load a line for it on the #8 you've had all along and give it a go. Cast it - fish it - get a feel for it - then make an educated choice as to what you want in a reel for your new rod. Make the right pick first time out with no second guessing a major purchase later on.

Good luck

14. surfnfish

surfnfish Member

sorry on the response delay - been fishing.. :)

Personally, as much as I like the Ryall, I think with the newer large arbor reels out there, I would look for something with at least a 4" diameter, and preferably a 4.25". The extra pickup speed really makes a difference, and some of the newer reels are very light..

And I think the mast majority of reels are so over priced. How can Abu Garcia put out a nine bearing high tech reel like the Revo for $100 and "pick a name" wants $300 for a simple machined reel with a decent drag...

So take a look at the $100 to $150 series of reels...I've got several Ross Rhythms that I picked up on sale for $150 apiece that I really like..

15. halibut

halibut Banned or Parked

16. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    I would consider the likelihood of the company making it through these tough economic times. There are a lot of great affordable reels out there from companies that are more likely to make it . . .

Just sayin'.