Jameson Lake

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by i8cadfly, Oct 3, 2001.

1. i8cadfly New Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    An opportunity has presented itself to fish Jameson lake this weekend in Eastern Wa. Anyone have any suggestions as to flies and techniques for this lake? Even trout species available would be helpful - thanks
  2. Dan Reynolds Member

Bozeman, Mt
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    Some info...the lake is planted every year a month or so before opening day for gear and bait chuckers...about 200,000 1" fry. A year later they are 13"!! Very fast growth. I have fished the lake (with a fly) in May with reasonable success. I did well on a size 12 bloodworm pattern (similar to kaufmanns damsel pattern) with a cast out and slow twitching retrieve. See www.kman.com in the fly section of the online catalog if you want to see what they look like.

I think your best luck will be on the north and south ends, scrap the middle section, it's deep and pretty bare of vegetation on the bottom. At the north end there are springs near the farm, shallow areas maybe 10 feet deep. I would also try an olive or black wooley bugger, maybe some carey type patterns.

Now that I think of it...I would check to see if Grimes lake is open still. Grimes is due north of Jameson, need to walk in 1/2 mi or so...but is full of huge Lahontans! Check the regs, not sure if it's open. That would be a better choice in my opinion.

Now if you go in May, you can catch 13-16" fat fighters till your arm falls off!

http://communities.msn.com/GoneFishin/photoalbums.msnw for some fishin pics!
  3. i8cadfly New Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    Thanks Dano- I will check regs on Grimes, Lahotan cutts sounds like the fish to chase.
  4. Couleeflyfisher Member

Ratings: +5 / 0
    Jameson Lake/Grimes

Grimes is open from June 1 thru August, a 3 month season.