January 2012 Salon - Johnson's Beach Fly

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Steve Rohrbach, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Steve Rohrbach Puget Sound Fly Fisher

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +46 / 0
    SALON - JANUARY - JOHNSON’S BEACH FLY

STEVE KNAPP - ORANGE PROTUBE POPPER Steve has taken the Miyawaki Popper and converted it to a ProTube MicroTube. For someone in his first year as a fly tier Steve has developed great skills and an eye for flies that catch fish. This fly with the bright orange head and multiple natural materials will feature lots of movement and the fixed trailing hook will produce a high percentage of hook-ups. Finalist

kelvin - ORANGE FLAT WING Kelvin is an accomplished tier that is comfortable creating flies with great color, shape and life. His Orange Flat Wing is a fly that would make Les Johnson proud. The flat wing style is full of life and will produce a lot of movement. He tied it sparse and with multiple colors that will blend in the water. He also used a subtle amount of flash. This fly is also economical substituting a 3D eye and epoxy instead of a Jungle Cock eye. Finalist

Big E - Polar Shrimp/Thor hybrid called The Orange Creme Big E drew upon tradition with his combination of a Polar Shrimp and Thor that evoke feelings of the Johnson Beach Fly. His inspiration is a fry pattern that will be targeted by multiple saltwater species this spring. I like the sparseness. The bronze wire rib is elegant and I love the Pearl Krystal Flash tail. A fly I would be pleased to fish.

THOMAS MITCHELL’S BEACH FLY - CONFIDENCE BEACH FLY Thomas did a great job describing the inspiration for his fly in the writings of Les Johnson and the influence of Abrames, Atherton and Ward. I love the blending of natural materials and color. The description of the fly exploding like a Medusa’s head really got my attention. I am sure it gets the attention of many SRC and Resident Coho. Finalist

BAITFISH - SECRET BEACH FLY Baitfish shared a beautiful small orange fly that shares a lot with the Johnson’s Beach Fly while having a look of its own. I like the buggy look of the dubbed body. The Partridge hackle adds an elegant look and the white Finn Racoon wing looks like it will add a lot of motion.

JIM WALLACE - BLEEDING GHOST Jim came on strong with a great looking Spider variant called the Bleeding Ghost. I am impressed with the look of this fly and know that the white will attract many species. The Mallard feather will do a nice job of bluring the red saddle giving flashes of red. I will tie this myself for the beach this spring.

I greatly appreciate the creativity that the entrants exhibited in creating their special Beach Fly. I know that Les Johnson would like many of the flies that were submitted.

The three finalists all inspired me to hit the vise and add their special fly to my Puget Sound Box.

Steve Knapp showed great vision in taking a proven fly and converting it to a tube pattern while improving performance with a static trailing hook.
    Kelvin was prolific with three flies tied. I selected the one that appealed the most to me. I love Puget Sound Flat Wing flies. Kelvin took Les Johnson’s colors and applied them to a flat wing with the added benefit of a cost effective epoxy head and eyes.

Thomas Mitchell was bold in tying a very different Beach Fly but his articulation of the inspiration for his fly hit upon three of my favorite influences in Abrames, Atherton and Ward.

I would be less than honest if I said it was a clear choice. I have wavered back and forth between Thomas and Kelvin several times. As much as I love the flat wing, Thomas swayed me with his great description of how he created the fly.

JANUARY WINNER - THOMAS MITCHELL
  2. Steve Knapp Beach Bum

Maple Valley
    Ratings: +260 / 3
    Great breakdown Steve, thanks for showing how much thought you put into this, just like Thomas did in January. The Monthly Salon is an awesome idea and thanks to everybody who contributes I have a Ton of new ideas and fly's to work on.

Congrats to Thomas on the win, I look forward to Feb.
  3. Thomas Mitchell Active Member

Western, WA
    Ratings: +189 / 2
    Hello All. Since did the judging so recently, I asked Kelvin to step in and judge this time.

He should have a new topic up soon.

Thanks Steve for the your time considering the topic and the flies!
  4. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +544 / 0
    iagree Participating in this lit a fire and got me back to my vice, and I'm going to try to keep some momentum going on my tying. (I am going to tie up some lake flies today, for tomorrow's fishing). I am going to keep tying beach flies, too.
    Thanks for the kind words about the Bleeding Ghost version of the Knudsen Spider, Steve. After I got my desk and tying materials organized, I started in on a sculpin attempt, which crashed and burned. And in the final hour, I discovered that I need to practice at and refine my close-up fly photography, too.

5. kelvin Active Member

Seattle,WA
    Ratings: +292 / 0