Jelly action cooling down but Green Lake action heating up!

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by wadin' boot, Oct 6, 2013.

1. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

I know most of you have been pretty psyched about the pre-season returning jelly run forecasts this year, but if you have had the kind of luck I have had this year you'd figure the season was almost over, not even worthy of a postage stamp for the catch card return. But no...managed to find my way out to a classic cobble beach and tied on my favorite fly, the brown eyed girl...but nothing, tried the Domino, and later switched to the Jelly Roll, the classic top third of the water column slider, and BAM hooked this monster. Yeah I know, keep it in the water, how's a jelly going to survive, blah blah.

[​IMG]

Anyways found a kayak anchor somewhere in MA11. I'm sorta partial to it because it beats the heck out of the 5lb of concrete and the eyebolt I've been using. Then again, if you're missing an anchor PM me, because anchor prospecting is heating up in MA 11!

Oh and let's say you promised your son you would take him fishing after you got back flossing jellies, and you decided to fish Green Lake because it was stocked 4 days ago, let's just say the fishing there was on a low simmer with the water temperatures cooling down. Think the usual places with the usual day 4 post stocking flies...though keeping the small bass off the fly is a new problem for my son and I. He was laughing pretty hysterically, got nearly two hours out of him, which is rare. And bear it in mind, this tip is for parents with kids, any halfway competent fisherman can nail these guys... it's the kids though that will remember it , and with that in mind handed my fishing rod off a few times to random kids just checking out the scene...

Classic line from one of the kids: "This is the weirdest rod I have ever seen. why is the line so fat?"

2. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

Weird critters abound in the water, though I would have believed you if you said you had been making an Aspic beachside, and spilled the entire pot.

plaegreid and wadin' boot like this.
  3. rotato

rotato Active Member

After standing under the power block this summer I don't want anything to do with those cock suckers
    You ever get the slime on the inside of your nose?
    The tip of your tounge?

I know I'm a mouth breather

constructeur likes this.
  4. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Nice. When I take my daughter trout fishing it's also considered hilarious when we catch a Bass. :)

5. wadin' boot

Pickled herring in aspic with a s-tonof dill will melt a Lithuanian girl's heart.

How did this happen to you Rotato? (edit never mind, think I figured it out, jellies in nets coming down, my work buddy explained the aerial misery of netting a ton of jellies in a high wind and rough seas on a fishing vessel) I would stick with the antihistamines, and avoid what some say works great- the direct application of urine. But that's just me.

rotato and Rob Hardman like this.
  6. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

LOL! I can imagine you and the rest of your crew working the deck with "Purple Rain" blasting over the speakers.:eek:

rotato likes this.
  7. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Congrats....staging fin clipped jellyfish are difficult to catch. ;)

dryflylarry likes this.
  8. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Didn't notice the clipped fin until Stonefish mentioned it. Dang! You should have retained that monster and taken it home and jarred it up. Looks like it would be just scrumptious on toast!

9. wadin' boot

Clipped or not, I have found the strip set really is very useful, but damn you gotta watch out when these psuedoplacental jellies turn and head straight towards you, fortunately rod to the side, playing off the reel, stinger hook, all the techniques I learned off of WFF lurking saved the day...

mtskibum16 likes this.
  10. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Boot,
    Once it turned back away from you, did you make it earn the reel?

11. wadin' boot

Stonefish, didn't have to, I think because this lil' fella doesn't have much of a brain it beached itself.

12. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Just when a fishery starts to get decent you get some blabbermouths on the internet ruining it. I can't even imagine how many puffy jackets I'm gonna find at my favorite jelly beach the next time I head out.

Thanks a lot Boot. Thanks a flippin lot!!!

13. wadin' boot

sharing the jelly... that's how I roll.

14. Roger Stephens

Roger Stephens Active Member

Awesome post title:)! Your humorous write-up and comments are great! Keep them coming!

Roger

15. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong Active Member

Time to climb the ladder.
    Skiffman next season... no jellies!
    We used to wash the jelly-hell out of our eyes with milk. Kind of hard to snort it in/out of your nose though...
    Learn to drive a skiff!

16. Greg Armstrong

wadin' boot,
    That's a pretty nice size one for a hatchery jelly. What, maybe 4 or 5 Lbs?
    We need a little more of this snotty weather to bring in the big natives though - I'm thinking it's still a little early.

wadin' boot likes this.
  17. Fishee

Fishee Member

LOL, I don't why I find this really funny. :D

That is one big jelly fish. Must be global warming.

18. rotato

rotato Active Member

There has got to be a market for these purple monsters
    Medical,culinary, something
    Over harvest these dudes please

Greg, the skiff man won't leave his post
    You can't pry him out

I am going to enjoy next summer anyway
    Barkley sound anybody?

19. Greg Armstrong

He has good reason not to!

Every American should be required to spend at least one full season as crew. Work ethic, learning to work as a team, responsibility and camaraderie are the biggest rewards.

Enjoy your years as crew... some of my best memories (but try for the skiff!).

20. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Well I stand corrected. I fished this morning and didn't see a single puffy jacket other than the one I left in the truck. I did see multiple jellies, but no hook ups. I think I'll go back out with fluro... I think these ones are getting leader shy.