Jetboil Camping Stove.

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by youknowhowidodo, Sep 16, 2013.

1. youknowhowidodo

youknowhowidodo New Member

Anyone used a Jetboil stove?
    Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

2. PDXPapa

PDXPapa New Member

After using an MSR Whisperlite International for nearly 15 years (and it still works just fine) I purchased a JetBoil 3 years ago and that old, dependable MSR is now gathering dust on a shelf in my garage. The JetBoil is just so quick and easy to set up and get going.

Pros : Quick and easy to setup, rapid boiling times, stable, gas tanks are easy to find in many different stores

Cons : I understand the new models may have improved, but it's hard to keep anything at a summer or cook something gently over low heat, bulky, cannot refill spare gas tanks.

I've enjoyed switching over to freeze dried foods on backpacking trips and on car camping trips, the JetBoil allows me to make the quickest coffee in the campgrounds (pouring the water into a French press vs. the JetBoil press attachment which I also own).

The freeze dried food is great for those backpacking trips where you do t want to spend a whole lot of time preparing your meals.

My $.02 anyway

Ed Call likes this.
  3. youknowhowidodo

youknowhowidodo New Member

Thanks! I appreciate the response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

4. orangeradish

orangeradish Bobo approved

Home Page:
    Yep. I'd agree with the above comments. Also nice to throw in a pack on daytrips in the winter for a quick warmup on cold days. Easy to use, light, fast. I love mine.

5. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Media:
    I have one but have only used it once. Every time I think about using it, I compare the size and weight of it with my Snowpeak Gigapower and Ti pot and end up taking the Snowpeak instead.

dcm likes this.
  6. Paul Huston

Paul Huston Swinger

I love mine.
    Its quick and easy enough to use that I will cook, versus living off of pop tarts, beef jerky and PBR.
    And its compact enough to always bring along, which has saved the day after a cold weather dunking or drenching.

7. plaegreid

plaegreid Saved by the buoyancy of citrus

Media:
    I've actually been waiting for the weather to cool down so I can use mine for coffee along the rivers. It's a great little gadget. Also good for concerts; it was a nice thing to have at Sasquatch this year.

8. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    We've had some good times living that way. ;)

9. Himjo

Himjo New Member

Got me through two deployments, and still going strong. Hot cup of coffee and a bowl of ramen in less than 5 min.

10. Bradley Miller

Bradley Miller Dances with fish

Anyone? Man: in my world it's everyone. Backpacking, fishing, even for picnics. Jetboil is the bomb. Having said that: I don't usually take it with me unless it's an overnighter. For day trips I use a tiny alcohol stove which is light, small, cheap and has no moving parts, piezo electric gizmos to fail, or gas canisters to buy. Often, I use the alcohol stove with the jetboil 'jug' since it seems to be so dang efficient at transfering heat. Anyway: jetboil is the gold standard in small cooking packages in my opinion.

11. Chad Lewis

Chad Lewis NEVER wonder what to do with your free time

Everything said about the Jetboil aboveā€¦ditto. Great product. One word of warning- do not ever turn on the stove without something in the pot. The pot heats so efficiently that catastrophic meltdown happens quickly. I've seen some so bad that I wouldn't have wanted to be around to see it happen.

You might also want to check out the MSR Reactor. Very strong competition to the Jetboil with several outdoor mag rewards.

12. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

I almost bought a Jetboil, but instead I opted for the Snowpeak Gigapower (back in 2005).
    I also bought a Primus 1.7 liter EtaPower cooking pot to go with it. The EtaPower pot is lightweight (anodized aluminum with a titanium non-stick coating on the inside) and has a heat-exchanger built into the bottom, which is supposed to decrease cooking time by approx 50%.

I also still use my old lightweight stainless steel backpacking cookware that I picked up back in the 80's.

13. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Been using a Jetboil for 4 or 5 years now. Love it. It's not the lightest or least bulk alternative, but it's close to it. And one small gas canister lasts a long time due to the stove's efficiency.

Sg

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  14. Jslo

Jslo Active Member

Media:
    Jetboil for the win! Great item to have for all the above reasons.

Ed Call likes this.
  15. LD

LD Active Member

Media:
    I bought the larger size. thought it would be more flexible and I was not planning on using it for backpacking. Can not believe how fast it boils water. Good ad vise of making sure the pot has something in it, I could see that happening. In the larger size the way the burner fits in the stand seems backward (takes me a minute the first time or two). Also heats to hot to simmer anything. Overall love it.

16. Jslo

Jslo Active Member

Media:
    yeeeehaaaaa hot coffee on the trail rules!

[​IMG]

Teenage Entomologist likes this.
  17. Lue Taylor

Lue Taylor Lue Taylor/dbfly

Jetboil great for when fishing this time of year can safely cook inside my pram find the large fuel can cheaper at Freddy's of all the places that sell them do not need their can brace will not tip over and Sportco have the best selection of dried food I have found so far

18. montanafos

montanafos Member

I carry one in my drift boat. Also carry 4-6 Cup O Noodles in the same seat box. Use my Jetboil every time I'm cold weather fishing or duck hunting with my boat to feed me and my twin boys. Makes quick easy work of lunch. One of the better accessory purchases I have made for the boat. I'd buy a couple more of the "mug" at some point. You'll find that you can use the mugs with freeze dried meals as well. The LARGE fuel canisters are great if you can stash it somewhere. I always have the small canister inside of my mug with the rest of the stuff.

19. Dan Nelson

Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

Media:
    Home Page:
    I've had at least one of every version of the Jetboil, including a pre-production beta. Fast, light, efficient and versatile are all accurate descriptors. I especially like the Java kit add-on (turns your PCS, Flash or Zip into a French Press coffee pot/mug).

I keep on PCS in my rig at all times with a stash of coffee and tea. I carry one on any cold-weather day hike with cofee, tea and dried soup mixes. I have one in my boat bag for all floats.

Ed Call likes this.
  20. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Ok, what's a PCS, flash, or zip?