JH Special?

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Richard Olmstead, Mar 30, 2011.

1. herefishynm

herefishynm Member

They sell dries which have tails and fore and aft hackle with the little wing, then they sell beadheads, which also have fore and aft hackle, but some of them have the "aft" in the middle.
    Then they also have soft hackles in the same style. I think the turkey would be fine for the larger sizes, but the pheasant looks a little closer in the smaller sizes, except the store-bought flies are in a grayer color wing. I found some interesting "biot" feathers on the pheasant wings, too. Thinner than goose or turkey biots and speckled.

2. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Media:
    Thus far, I've only tied it as a wet fly for lake fishing. I intend to tie some variations of it as dry flies for next summer.

Here's a pic of my version. I tied it on a size 10 2XL hook, with Grizzly hen hackle for tail and hackles, black rabbit dub for the section between the tail and rear hackle, peacock herl for the front body, turkey feather for wing, and with a dozen turns of lead wire under the body.

JH Special wet fly 1.jpg

3. Jrthurm

Jrthurm New Member

Good looking fly. The JHS we had tied used black or black/grey thread for the body. Body was not fuzzy but just wrapped thread. Flies 12 and above have no middle hackle, 10 and below generally have a middle hackle. Your wings look reall close if not right on.

I use the weighted flies in high lakes. I fish those with a clear fillable 1oz bubble and 6' leader. The weighted fly sinks about 6" below water. Many lakes in the San Juan are not wadeable so we use light spinning gear and a slow troll.

4. FlyinFish

FlyinFish Active Member

Here's one of my renditions. I weighted this one slightly and intend to fish it swung or stripped. I added a bit of buck tail under the turkey.

[​IMG]

Richard Olmstead likes this.
  5. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Media:
    Good lookin' fly.
    D

6. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

When I first saw Dick's version of the JH Special in person a few weeks ago, I was taken aback as it seemed such a strange amalgamation of elements. What with the turkey wing stuck between the wraps of a more conventional double hackled fly. The wing looked out of place like as though it were an afterthought thrown in to the mix for no particular reason. Now, looking at it again I see that it serves the same purpose as the turkey wing on a muddler. Its all about maintaining the profile. While the hackles vibrate and breath as the fly is pulled through the water the wing maintains the profile.

Slap self upside the head. Why didn't I see this before?

TC