Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Jimmy Green Glass Rod

Fiberglass 
2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Jim Riggins 
#1 ·
I came across a nice old Jimmy Green model glass rod manufactured by Phil Pedley in Sonoma Ca. in the mid 40's. Mr Green and Pedley designed several of these rods before going to work for Fenwick then on to Sage.

I called Jim Adams and had him look into it. He told me that these were excellent rods and even though they are highly collected they aren't worth a whole lot of money, around $200 to $300 dollars or so. But if your into fly fishing history as we all know he was very instrumental in where we are today with our modern gear, most of it all started with Jimmy Green.

This is the damndest looking rod I've seen in a long time. They were unsanded where you can see the spiraling of the fiberglass as it worked up the mandrel and it one of the lightest rods I've ever held. Even though it's not worth much I will keep it, but as Jim Adams suggested I throw a five wt. floating line on it and fish it and that's what I intend to do.

If you've never seen one of these rods and want to throw a line with it I will be at Jason's BBQ Saturday and I will bring it for all to play with. Jim:thumb:

#4 ·
Jim, I should be at O'rads bash. Can't wait to see it. I have a few first generation fenwicks that look very similar (I'm assuming from your description) as your "pre fenwick" rod. Would love to check it out for sure. :)

#5 ·
I have an early prototype spey rod by Jimmy Green. It is first generation graphite.

TC

#6 ·
Mike, none of this I'll show you mine if you show me yours going on here! Adams talked so fast I had a hard time keeping up with him!
Tim, love to see that rod, Mr Green was an amazing inventor as well as a fisherman.

#7 ·
Yes he was. Invented the ferrule system we all know and love (I'm almost 99% sure on that one). I wonder if he took alot of the two handed rods from Europe to base his "spey" rods off of? Or if he just did it on his own.

#8 ·
You right about the ferrule invention Jimmy Green was indeed the founder of our moder day ferrules. I also have a phil pedley rod from sonoma and found out that they are not really collectable. Oh well i keep mine on my wall with a (A) serial numbered fenwick which i guess is the first year.

#9 ·
Yeah, I have several (that's an understatement for those who have seen my collection) fenwick rods. Some of the first ones up until they were sold out back in the 80's I believe. Have no newer fenwicks. Those glass rods are a pleasure to fish, even to this day. Thank God for Jimmy Green and what he did for the industry (that would be gear and fly, I HATED metal ferrules).

#10 ·
I'm sure he brought back a few 2 handers from some of his casting tournaments iin England and improved on them as well. I only paid $150 for this rod and it's only probably worth that much but it's has alot of history and looks pretty cool so I'm sure it will sit around in my man cave. I'll use it from time to time though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.