Jock Scott 3/0 Kelson

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Mark Mercer, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Media:
    Not my best, but not bad. Can be a difficult pattern to get right, so this won't be my last attempt at it....
    Thanks for looking,
    Mark
    DSCN3182.JPG

Cole L, Pat Lat, Beachmen and 8 others like this.
  2. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Media:
    Looks pretty good to me. It's been on my list of coolest flies ever for about 30 years :)

Mark Mercer likes this.
  3. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

Geez Mark .
    I could only wish that my very best flies were half as good as your "not bad" ties .

Well done .

Mark Mercer likes this.
  4. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Media:
    WOW! Beautiful! I want to learn to tie something like this.. I've got a few of the materials necessary for it.. now I guess I just need to do it or try to do it!

Mark Mercer likes this.
  5. Eyejuggler

Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Media:
    Home Page:
    Sickness! :)
    Beautiful tie Mark, you are the consummate perfectionist! (that might be a double positive.)

Mark Mercer likes this.
  6. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Media:
    Thanks guys !!!

Bill, if you're serious go to Classicflytying.com and hang out, there's always new guy's learning these things. Many incredable tiers there
    that will help you get started, wish I would have known about it (years ago) instead of going it alone.... Let me know if I can help...

7. flybill

Media:
    I will go to that site! I am planning on attending the event in May down in Renton for sure and know a few amazing tiers! Just have to DO IT!!

Mark Mercer likes this.
  8. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Mark.....terrible fly... absolutely terrible... as always... why do you even try? :D

Mark Mercer likes this.
  9. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Media:
    Thanks, Gene.... I think ??? :)

Bill, many of the tiers at the ASFI are on that site and are unbelievable. I'm really looking forward to it and meeting some of these guys I've
    talked too via internet. Should be fun and expensive, I'm sure I'll spend a bunch on feathers, can't help myself !!!
    I'll see you there....

Mark

10. flybill

Media:
    Yeah, I know a few of the guys in the Seattle area that are great! I've been invited to a couple of meetings, just never done it. I'm not really looking to get into Atlantic Salmon stuff hard core, but looking to learn some techniques that I can use in my flies to "pretty" them up! I am planning on just looking, but will say that materials are a weakness of mine.. I'll hit a fly shop with no intention of buying anything and come out with something I just have to have! :)

I've got some of the exotics, jungle cock cape and a few other things. I use the JC for rod building and occasionally in a fly.

Looking forward to the ASFI event! Hope to be there both days, but planning on Saturday for sure.

Mark Mercer likes this.
  11. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

I've argued with Ted Leeson in regards to fly patterns as works of art. He doesn't, or didn't, believe that a fly pattern is a work of art. For him, they are simply a form of fish lure to entice a fish to try and eat the thing.

Now, Ted is a great guy and more into writing than photography or art so I must give him some leeway but I don't believe he is correct.

I'm both a half-assed artist and photographer and I feel that anything you create out of nothing that is appealing to the eye and takes specific skills that not everyone has is indeed a work of art.

That is how I see the Atlantic Salmon fly patterns and am constantly amazed that someone would toss the flies into a river and actually use them in an attempt to catch a steelhead.

That's like using a Royals Royce to haul your trash to the dump.

I've tried to look at fly tying as Ted does but I am still convinced that some fly patterns are indeed works of art and it takes a special talent to tie them. The ones I see posted here are most certainly in the art category.

Mark Mercer likes this.
  12. ImperialStoutRunsThruMe

ImperialStoutRunsThruMe Member

What is the event y'all are talking about?

13. ImperialStoutRunsThruMe

ImperialStoutRunsThruMe Member

14. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Media:

Gene, I'm not sure I totally agree with you, I don't feel the classic's like I try and tie are really art, cause I'm just following a 150 year old recipe, it does take alot skills that are learned over time, but not a lot of imagination or creativity. But the real artistic flies, like Ronn Lucas and Bud Guidry tie, and many others are truly works of art. They make it up as they go, which as you know is a whole different thing all together. I'll probably try that at some point but not ready to take the plunge quite yet.

And yes there are some that throw these at steelhead, and I used too years ago, but I'm smarter now that I'm old ?? The guy's in Europe do it all the time for Atlantic's, it's very common over there...

Thanks for your comments and interest in my flies Gene, it makes it a little more fun ....

Mark

flybill likes this.