Jock Scott 4/0 Kelson/Sapphire Blue 4/0 J.H.Hale

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Mark Mercer, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

I've been playing around with some new materials (that I couldn't afford) but you know how it is. Anyway I haven't tied a Jock Scott for a few years and they weren't that good so I thought I'd try another one. This is the George Kelson version with a light yellow tag and herl head. Pretty happy with it but there's always things that could be better. Also had to try a Sapphire Blue by Hale cause it's a bit different and I really liked the colors in it. Hope you like them. DSCN2099.JPG DSCN2101.JPG

yuhina, Stonefish, ScottP and 2 others like this.
  2. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Absolutely love the sapphire.I actually like that theres no topping on it, makes the tails stand out that much more.
    Very nice ties.

Mark Mercer likes this.
  3. troutdopemagic

troutdopemagic Active Member

There both outstanding but I really like the Sapphire. I like the colors alot scheme alot.

That blue feather on the Scott's cheek, what is that called?

Mark Mercer likes this.
  4. S Fontinalis

S Fontinalis Active Member

kingfisher, but the original calls for cotinga cotinga - or blue chatterer.

Nice flies Mark. Tails a tad long i think, but depth of wing balances the fly top to bottom nicely on both.

You're fairly pumping out flies these days!

Jamie Wilson and Mark Mercer like this.
  5. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Thanks all, I'm glad you like them.

Pat, I agree I think they look good without a topping, a lot of the Irish patterns don't have them.
    I also liked the guinea feathers on the Sapphire, it's not very common and the colors are cool.

troutdopemagic, kingfisher is correct as Eunan said, it's a acceptable substitute for chatterer.

Eunan, glad you could make it on line and thanks for commenting, hope you can post a few new ones yourself soon.

6. troutdopemagic

Did you get them as individual feathers or as a skin? I've only been able to find them on the Kingfisher skin, and $30-40 is alot to pay for like 2 feathers to go on one pattern.

7. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

That is some sexy stuff. The Jock has always been a fav but that blue fly is particularly fetching :)

8. S Fontinalis

S Fontinalis Active Member

you can get kingfisher skins for less than $20 here. That is where i got mine from.

9. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Thanks everyone for the nice comments.

Eunan, I'm glad troutdopemagic ask about the kingfisher because mine is kind of picked over and was thinking about getting a new one..... Now I know a good place to get one. Thanks

10. troutdopemagic

Thanks for the link man. I know where I'll be picking mine up.

11. Jack Devlin

Jack Devlin Active Member

"Jock Scott", my all time favorite Atlantic Salmon Fly pattern. You know Mark, everytime you post one of your beautiful flies, you raise the bar for all of us. And, keep in mind, you are raising the bar for yourself as well!
    Jack

Mark Mercer likes this.
  12. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

"Jock Scott", my all time favorite Atlantic Salmon Fly pattern. You know Mark, everytime you post one of your beautiful flies, you raise the bar for all of us. And, keep in mind, you are raising the bar for yourself as well!
    Jack

Thanks Jack, I know exactly what you mean...... I finished another one tonight that I'll post tomorrow and each one I'm getting pickier and pickier from start to finish and hopefully it's starting to show. I'm hoping I'll be happy with them in another couple years....
    Mark