John's Hopper (variation) SBS

Discussion in 'Fly Tying Step by Step' started by ScottP, Nov 22, 2013.

1. ScottP

ScottP Active Member

[​IMG]

More inspiration while thumbing through the archives. Found this in an old add for Dan Bailey's Fly Shop; a variation of Joe's Hopper, with a hair wing subbing for the turkey quill; since I already had woodchuck out for the Mossy Hopper, I used that. I swapped out the poly yarn body for foam.

hook - Dai Riki 320 #12
    thread - MFC 8/0 brown
    tails - deer hair dyed red
    body - 2mm foam yellow
    hackle (body) - brown, trimmed
    rib - tying thread tag end
    wing - woodchuck guard hair
    hackle (front) brown/grizzly

mash barb, attach the thread and wrap back down the bend a bit; leave the tag end long

[​IMG]

clean, stack a clump of deer hair; measure for length (hook gap plus a bit) and tie in (it'll slant down a bit, which is what you want)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

spiral wrap thread forward, binding deer hair down; trim butts

[​IMG]

tie in foam strip (about 1/2 hook gap wide) and wrap back to hook bend; a little Super Glue on the wraps helps

[​IMG]

loop the foam strip over the tail, tie down and wrap foam forward while the Super Glue is still wet

[​IMG]

tie in hackle, wind back to the hook bend and capture with the tag end; wrap tag forward through the hackle and tie off

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

trim hackle

[​IMG]

clean and stack a clump of woodchuck guard hairs (again, save the underfur for Mossy Hopper bodies), measure for length (even with tail)

[​IMG]

tie in woodchuck with firm wraps (it's pretty slippery); smooth over as best as possible

[​IMG]

tie in hackle and wrap forward; half hitch x 2, SHHAN and you're done

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Regards,
    Scott

2. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Media:
    Thanks, Scott. I'm enjoying your recent SBSs. Especially since I haven't put much effort into learning to tie hoppers, which I don't fish much, but really enjoy fishing when the opportunity arises (I have a small, and getting smaller, stash of store-bought hoppers from before I started tying).

One trick I've used when using a trimmed palmered hackle, is to trim it before tying in in. I find it much easier than trimming after it is on the fly.

3. ScottP

ScottP Active Member

Richard,

I've used that method, too, but I never get it as even as I want and end up having to trim it in the round anyway; must have shaky hands.

Regards,
    Scott