Jungle Cock Source?

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Jergens, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Twin Bridges, MT
    Ratings: +19 / 0
    I was going to post on the FB "Where do you get your jungle cock" but given the maturity of my average friends humor level (and mine) knew that it would take a very unproductive direction.

That being said, Where do you get your jungle cock? Looking for a full cape. Obviously have used the google machine, and not sure how I feel about buying it on ebay from a dude in Estonia.

Thanks,

Joe
  2. Tacoma Red Active Member

Kitsap
    Ratings: +331 / 0
    I have purchased from "The Dude" in Estonia just once buying a lower grade less expensive cape. I figured that if I got cheated out of the money it wouldn't be for much. What I received was the actual cape pictured and it arrived very neatly packaged in remarkably just a few days. Although I don't use JC that often if I were to buy again I'd use the Estonia Ebay guy and spend a little more. Everything worked out surprisingly well for me.
  3. orangeradish Bobo approved

Capital City
    Ratings: +491 / 0
    How much is too much? I rang my local shop, and he's got a full cape. Top quality and bright color. $280. If you're set on the Estonia thing, I'm sure he'd fake an accent for you.
    Bob Triggs likes this.
  4. constructeur Active Member

Seattle, Wa
    Ratings: +412 / 0
  5. Dave Evans Active Member

E. WA / N ID
    Ratings: +105 / 0
    Poppy usually has them at the Red Shed.
    Bob Triggs likes this.
  6. Jeff Dodd Active Member

Langley, WA
    Ratings: +387 / 0
    Yea, when I restock it will be on eBay. Take a look at completed items... a lot of these capes sell every month and it looks like the same sellers over and over.
  7. Rod Wittner Active Member

West Richland, WA
    Ratings: +69 / 1
  8. kelvin Active Member

Seattle,WA
    Ratings: +292 / 0
    Avis ANgler has some nice capes
  9. Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Des Moines
    Ratings: +822 / 0
    For fishing or showing? If it is for fishing just get a low grade for 100 bucks and coat them with clear nail polish when you cement the head. If the flys are for show then the sky is them limit on cost.
  10. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +110 / 0
    I've done business with Aaron in the past and the quality of his materials is first rate.
  11. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    Ratings: +775 / 0
    Same here, nothing bit good things to say about his materials and service.
  12. psycho Active Member

B.C. Canada
    Ratings: +142 / 0
    Or just kill a breeding male Starling, believe me the fish do not know the difference.:D
  13. Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Twin Bridges, MT
    Ratings: +19 / 0
    Thanks for the advice, guess I'll try the Estonian. @orangeradish, thanks for the call, I think 280 is a little much, appreciate the info though. definitely tying for fishing, not showing.
    orangeradish likes this.
  14. John Wallace Active Member

Bellevue,Wa.
    Ratings: +62 / 1
    My vote for red shed.
  15. 1morecast Active Member

Port Angeles
    Ratings: +51 / 0
    "i have bought from the ebay dude from estonia, and would not hesitate to buy from him again. For fishing flies it's a great deal.
  16. Evan Virnoche Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    I get mine in rainier valley
    Steve Knapp likes this.
  17. Tacoma Red Active Member

Kitsap
    Ratings: +331 / 0
    Let us know what you end up doing and how it works out.
  18. ambassadeur10000 Member

Ratings: +6 / 0
    What do you guys look for when buying jungle cock
  19. troutdopemagic Active Member

Lake Stevens, Washington
    Ratings: +134 / 0
    Generally,necks are graded based on how many split nails they have versus overall nails. The highest of grades should have very few to no split nails, but expect to pay a shit load. If your tying fishing flies, get a cheaper neck and wax or glue the splits together, because the water will split them anyway.
  20. LD Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +83 / 6
    I have ordered only one neck. I did order form the guy on ebay. For the money and a hack fly tier it was great. I use it for flies to fish so they do not need to be perfect. I do wonder how the birds are treated, etc. since he has so many necks?? I would second Poppy at the Red Shed, he is more than fair on his tying material. Thanks for the links for the other sources mentioned about, they look great.