NFR Just an Observation

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Porter, Jan 18, 2013.

1. hydrological

hydrological beads are NOT flies and snagging is just ghetto

a difficult one.
    and a minimum income requirement.
    you sure cant adopt a kid you cant afford.

2. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    I disagree that income level is a deciding factor...good moral and social values are not something purchased.

3. Krusty

Krusty Active Member

My wife has been in education for well over 30 years, and she'd very much agree with you...though it far predates the introduction of extensive social media. She believes that general parenting skills have diminished to astoundingly low levels. Uninvolved parents, and children produced via a continually churning variety of short-term 'hook-ups'. And by the time those children become parents.....they have absolutely no idea of what good parenting might look like.

I am, however, amused (yet saddened) by some of my acqaintances' condemnation of today's youth, when they themselves have led lives that have perpetuated precisely such an outcome; multiple marriages/families, abusive behavior, and an inability to think much beyond short-term gratification. The amazing thing is they tend to think of themselves as being quite 'conservative'....when all they really tend to be are selfish hypocrits.

Steve Call likes this.
  4. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
    My girl is nine right now. She's plays with and loves all the pets and the chickens too. In her 3rd grade class it's cool to be in 4h. She's always liked to watch TV and fool around in the computer, and after I got a smart phone in 2009 she took to that pretty quickly. Even though she'll sit and stare at one of the devices for hours, if there is something physical to do she's usually up for it.

When she gets punished I'll hear little snippets of conversations coming from her room. She's usually telling a cat what a meanie I am or why she doen't deserve the punishment.

5. wyofly

wyofly Active Member

I live in Wyoming ranching and farming country a few miles from a town with an 1,100 population. The kids that I know personally are employed on the family farm or ranch, active in sports and many are on the honor roll. The kids have their own horses and dogs. Some of the dogs are stock dogs and others are bird dogs. They participate in roundups, brandings and drive tractors at a very young age. The high school has put on fly tying and fly casting seminars for the kids and I have assisted with both casting and tying. I’m currently helping a 16 year old neighbor train his Lab for waterfowl and upland hunting.
    I only know a few town kids mostly through church and sports. Crime is close to non-existent in the area and people don’t lock their doors and leave keys in their vehicles. All of the kids that I’m associated with are polite, courteous and don’t dress like their counterparts in larger communities. When I needed help with my Ipod Touch, the star of the girl’s basketball team and honor student straightened me out. I’m wondering if the local kids are different due to the small town environment, low crime rate and working within the family business? What ever the reason, our small community is proud of the kids and their accomplishments.

Steve Call likes this.
  6. Krusty

Krusty Active Member

One set of my grandchildren live in a rural area far from Spokane. There are a lot of good kids, and a great deal of positive community 'peer pressure' that helps keep kids on better paths...but I assure you that there are still a number of dirtbag families that have produced generations of 'pond scum'...some of which now grace the state penitentary.

7. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

Sounds like a great community. I think that's the key. Small communities, which can be small towns but can exist in big cities too, create accountability for behavior. When we're all accountable for our own behavior and take an active role in holding others accountable for theirs - through all sorts of mechanisms (explicit and implicit), then the results can be positive. Parenting involves modeling good behavior and holding our kids accountable for theirs. Not always easy and at times damn hard.

8. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

FWIW, this is my story too (except insert daughters).

9. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

I'm thinking, petting on the internet or cell/smart phone is not really getting the job done.

Krusty likes this.