Just curious...Simms

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Alexander, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Media:
    Does anyone here wear the Simms OceanTec wading boots? I figure since we're surrounded by the salt water and all. Also, if you do use them for the salt, do you hit the rivers with them as well? Do you add studs or those aluminum cleat type things?

2. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Media:
    I don't own the OceanTecs but the regular leather guide boots with studs have worked out very nicely in the salt for the past 2 busy seasons. I have to reinstall the studs though, since most fell out by the end of this season.

3. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Media:
    Do you use them in the rivers as well?

4. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Media:
    Yes, rivers and lakes too. No problems.

If you are going to fish tropical bone fish flats you might want something lighter.

5. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Media:
    I need new wading shoes. I've only ever had one pair and they are Simms and are pretty much bullet proof, but they are felt sole shoes (and still do great in the salt, just not so fun on the muddy parts;)) and I predominantly fish the beaches for Trout and Salmon. I occasionally hit the rivers when I get the chance, time and $$. Basically when all the stars align properly. ;). Anyhow, so I'm looking for a rubber sole boot that can handle the salt abuse and will also work on the rocky river bottoms. Since Simms has yet to let me down I'm looking there first. Cheers.

6. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Media:
    Oh and so I thought the OceanTek maybe had an edge on specific wear and tear to the salty environment. The boots look way stout. Then I thought to myself, I wonder if they'd fare well on the rivers as well with added studs.

7. Anil

Anil Active Member

Media:
    I was curious about this too, when I first saw the samples of this boot. It would probably be ideal with some “Star Cleats” or “Alumabite Cleats” for use on our local beaches. It is basically the Rivertek boot with some different materials in the upper and a different Vibram sole. Unfortunately, this sole (reportedly) doesn’t offer the same level of traction in the rivers. With the studs, you should have at least decent traction in most rivers, but likely not what you would have with the softer Vibram that is designed for this.
    I guess it all depends on how much river use (and what rivers) these boots will see? If you are truly looking at a mixed bag, you might be better off with any of the other Simms Vibram boots.

Alexander likes this.
  8. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

gremlins...triple post

9. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

gremlins:rolleyes:

10. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

Rubber soled (regular) hip boots here. I don't wade beyond my knees and occasionally ship a little water. Little chilly but no big deal. I have 3 Simms chest waders but have always preferred hippers when I can get away with it.