Just getting started...

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by Kaiserman, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Some carp were willing to play, but I "missed" my cue...er, hookset. Can't believe how fat these get before spawn!

But I did learn something: I need to add an additional 100 ft to my backing. :eek:

1-FILE0001.jpg 1-FILE0001-003.jpg 1-FILE0001-001.jpg 1-FILE0001-002.jpg

My arm may have been a little tired after catching those. But I'll get over it.

2. Yessir. That's how the backing addiction starts. Carp will floor you. Nothing really comparable in fresh water. I landed one tonight around fifteen pounds, no give up in it! About a fifteen minute battle, and I was "putting the wood to it".

Gary Knowels and Jim Ficklin like this.
  3. "Backing Addiction" is a great description. A big carp can also break a 6wt (or so I "heard") . . . nice day!

Gary Knowels likes this.
  4. I've never had much luck, er any luck with them, while they were in the spawn. However, this time it was different. Maybe I caught them at the tail end or at the beginning...

I've never had a scale in my life, but I think it might be fun to have one, to try beating my own "personal best". No idea how much that first one weighed.

5. Oh by the way, does anyone here switch up bugs (kinda like when steelie fishing)?

What I'm getting at is, if you're having success for a little bit - then the "bite" seems to go off, has anyone ever really noticed if switching bugs makes that much of a difference, or are they just not in "play mode" for a while? <- Did that make any sense?

6. I switch between three or four "producers." That being said, I usually start with a new pattern just to add to my "producer" box.

7. I am still waiting for the replacement 5wt. switch rod broken on a carp...my error as I couldn't quiet reach it with my net...and it wasn't tired enough to get a hand on it. I am still trying to get consistent with them but it is fun to get a good pull when I do connect.