Just one big, happy family...

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by livetofish, Sep 18, 2006.

1. livetofish

livetofish Fish to Live

Jeez, we've made it all the way to genocide and ethnic cleansing. Wow!:eek:

Seriously, though, thanks all for thoughtful comments and lively debate. This issue will not go away, nor should it. As more and more folks learn the beauty of our sport we will be forced to deal more and more with crowding, overfishing and the impact of our actions on the resource.

**Warning for raincityrod and bigdog... pontification below!**

I guess I look at it this way... I generally don't hesitate to share location info with other flyfishers in one-on-one, face-to-face settings because there is a human quality to those interactions that is generally absent in anonymous forums like this. This is presumably the reason chongfk says he will not reveal locations others have shown him (though that statement seems to oddly contradict his general stance in favor of tell-all posting) - he apparently respects a face-to-face source enough to protect their hard-earned secrets, but a "secret" obtained from an anonymous internet benefactor is fair game for widespread promotion.

Let's face it... many, if not most, of the places I learned to fish were passed along to me by others who had been there first. This was generally accompanied by a pat on the shoulder or a handshake, an unstated "take care of that spot as you think I would". The difference in the forum setting is the anonymity, the number of readers and the unknown ethics/intentions of a majority of the participants. IMHO, grass roots growth from individual to individual is healthy for the sport, but the power of the internet (and the corporate, money-is-everything flyfishing mag industry) to fuel exponential growth is distasteful.

I guess that's why I keep moving farther and farther away from the human anthill that is Pugopolis - not because I'm antisocial, but because I crave a greater sense of community and connectedness with others that is increasingly absent in the mass market corporate world. Quality over quantity. Not coincidentally, just what I look for in a fishing destination.

PS - Have fun at Brown's, bigdog, I won't be seein' ya there. Not an ivory tower thing, but a peace thing. Peace out.

2. chongfk

chongfk Member

livetofish:

It’s basic respect between human. If I reveal a location that someone show me, who doesn't want the location to be reveal, I am betraying him and I have disrespect someone who are willing to share their experience with me. If I discover a location my self, I will definitely share with all. I am all for the "tell-all" type of report, but I won't disrespect those who have a different preference then I.

Hey Matt, what about the "taking newbie to fish" activity? Can I join? I seriously need help with my casting :). I like Mike's Flyharmony idea, lol!

3. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    If revealing the location of a good fishing spot on the internet will keep some of you that posted to this thread from coming there to fish then I say it is a better place to fish.

4. salt dog

salt dog card shark

Media:
    iagree