Just outta curiosity....

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Minx, Dec 26, 2005.

1. Minx New Member

white marsh, va
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    ...y'all fish for Striped Bass out there, right? We call them rockfish on the right coast, y'all got a nick name for them on the left coast? What kinds of flies are y'all using out there? Lefty deceivers & clousers are my mainstay, wondering if what y'all use out there will work over here.....thoughts? :confused: chuck
  2. alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Hiding in your closet
    Ratings: +68 / 0
    There aren't any up here. There are a few in southern Oregon, but the only real striped bass fishery in the Pacific is in California.
  3. Minx New Member

white marsh, va
    Hmmm....learned sumthin new tonight. I just assumed that it was a west coast fish also. Knew they had them in CA and just figured they were up the coast too....chuck
  4. alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Hiding in your closet
    Ratings: +68 / 0
    They're not native on the west coast. They were introduced in California and have spread north to Oregon from there.
  5. Preston Active Member

Ratings: +434 / 0
    As a matter of fact they are occasionally caught as far north as the coast of BC. I recall, many years ago, seeing a thirty-five pounder that was caught by a very surprised salmon fisherman in Holmes Harbor on Whidbey Island. I don't believe that there are any spawning populations farther north than Oregon's Umpqua River.
  6. Minx New Member

white marsh, va
    Surprised that they aren't up in the NW more, I did know they were non-native and got "introduced" to CA. Fishing for the "Ocean Rockfish" around here doesn't get good until the water drops below 60 degrees. I just figured they had spread up & down the coast. I do know they like to eat, we catch them in the bay here between 30 and 50 pounds when the water cools. That might put a hurting on some of the local fish populations..probally not a good thing. The smaller ones are a blast on a fly rod though :)
  7. Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Olympic Peninsula
    Ratings: +643 / 0
    I dont think they should be allowed to continue here. I think they predate on indigenous fish. I think it was a mistake to plant them here. Luckily the water up north is too cold for their young to survive after hatching, if they even hatch. And most of the coastal rivers here are too fast for them to hold in the lower rivers as they develop. It takes habitats like the Hudson and Deleware, and similar situations, to allow them to hold in the rivers long enough to reach survivor status.

Dan Blanton is a big Kahuna in california for stripers, look up his website for california style striper info. Some of his fly patterns are used all over the world for big game flyfishing. But really; you can catch stripers on argyle baby socks, lashed to a 1/0 hook, if you just twitch it properly.

I lived for stripers on the east coast for many years. The moratorium was what got me into fly fishing for trout big time. When the stripers got thick enough in New England I began fly fishing for them there. I understand the passion. I once spent nine months in a minivan, chasing stripers up and down the Atlantic Coast. I spent a few christmas nights camped on Cape Hatteras and Okracoke Island, Oregon Inlet etc...I dream of them still.

Kiss one for me will you.:cool:
  8. orkila Member

Seattle
    Woa.... wait a minute here Bob, tell us the rest of the story.

Nine months in a minivan chasing stripers is an epic road trip, but epic road trips are fueled by other things... exploding relationships with ex-wives/girlfreinds, changing career paths from Harvard professor to eco guru or back the other way, teen/thirtysomething/middleage/retiring boomer angst...comon', there is a 'hole lot of electricity you left off the grid here! Its time for mr clean to show us some laundry!

:D
  9. Les Johnson Les Johnson

.Redmond, WA
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    Check Dan Blanton's website bulletin board. He is located in the Monterey Bay area of California. His board is crawling with striper reports. You'll think you've died and gone to Heaven.
    Good Fishing,
    Les Johnson
  10. Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Olympic Peninsula
    Ratings: +643 / 0
    Orkila, well I ran all of that past an editor a few years ago. He demured, but later supported another writer in a similar project. Then he pretended he had never read my query. That happens a lot in publishing.

My story definately has a grungier side to it all. Im working on it. :cool:
  11. Minx New Member

white marsh, va
    Thanx for the heads up on the CA site, I'll do some lurking. Now about that epic trip, I'm sure that has to be more interesting than an old baby sock striper lure :) Thanx for the thread, guys...............chuck
  12. Minx New Member

white marsh, va
    I know y'all don't mess...

...with them BUT, I did manage to land around 100 stripers the other night. 8wt rod on a clouser I tied, couldn't get much better. At one point it was a fish on every cast.....perfect end to the fishing season :beer2: chuck
  13. steve New Member

Has anyone ever heard of a pay to play stripper pond? I know alot of the fresh water resivors in CA have strippers that do just fine. It seems like people would be willing to pay the chance to tangle with a big stripper if they had the chance. I used to fly fish for them in the CA delta when I lived down there.
  14. Kyle Smith Active Member

Bozeman, MT
    Ratings: +253 / 0
    We're still talking about fish, right?
  15. Desmond Wiles Sir Castaline

Snohomish, Wa
    Hey Bob, your story about traveling the striper coast for 9 months in a minivan is reminiscent of a book given to me as a gift titled "On the Run," by David DiBenedetto, have you read it? It was a good read, and even got me interested enough to put that on my list of things to do.... well, maybe not for 9 months.
  16. flygolf Member

Sacramento, California
    I'm a newbie from northern Ca. and have been lurking and decided to finally chime in. I live in Sacramento and do quite a bit of striper fishing mainly in the American River and Delta. Flies are pretty much the same as East coast stuff clousers, Whistlers and minnow patterns, some people say that a Crawdad imitation would work but I haven't found one that has worked yet. The presentation seems to be the key when fishing for stripers, hard fast strips with pauses drive them nuts. Biggest striper I caught last summer was 38 inch. 28lb. from shore on the American what a blast.
  17. Minx New Member

white marsh, va
    Nice fish.....

...couldn't imagine that battle on a flyrod....whew!:eek:
  18. wolverine Member

Everett, WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    I lived in New Jersey for 3 years and chased Stripers as often as possible. I've caught a few down in tidewater on the Umpqua. Am not certain if the Oreo's are still trying to maintain that fishery. Whenever I need a striper fix I browse the stripers on line forums.