Just some quick Steelhead tips

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Sharp Steelie, Jan 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. topflight121

topflight121 Josh Pearson

Grease lining - A.H.E. Wood 1930's
    Riffle Hitching - Lee Wulff as far as I can tell 1940's
    Wet fly swing - ????

Any of these wrong? Who did invent the Wet fly swing?

Cheers

josh

2. Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice Senior Member

Media:
    wasn't that Al Gore :p :p :p :+ :+ oh no wait he invented the internet LOL
    Steve

3. ChrisC

ChrisC Member

"you'll understand why we are amused at your approach to sales and the haphazard gems you throw our direction in such a dissimulated manner that Trump would blush with embarassment if he was aware of your tactics"

Maybe you should consider hiring a ghost pen yourself.}(

4. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    LOL Ira. Actually, I've fished the Great Lakes for steelhead. Their conditions are usually during the winter are similar to ours during the summer. Hence the small patterns (like I use during the summer for steelhead). Our rivers are glacier fed, so stain up ALOT more (and more frequently) then theirs do. I know my exwives friend (she worked for NW airlines, so we flew back to MN/MI alot) who fished there told me to bring my "winter steelhead flies". Well, I had a box full of marabou flies, big pink leeches, and standard hairwings. I think my smallest fly was a size 2 (and he was using size 4 as the biggest, and mostly in the 6-8 range). Fish were spooky, and was best approached with a longer, lighter leader/tippet and smaller flies. I mostly fish the Hoh/Quilyute system/Chehalis system which all are heavily stained most of the winter. If you ran flies that small, chances are you'll be more flossing then having them attack it (since you're talking down to a foot of visibility at times if not less). There are some valid points on all spectrums. But no need to beat a dead horse guys. Now, if he runs small flies, super long leaders on a sinktip out on the OP, then you can say something. LOL.

5. speycast

speycast Guest

supercilious:

adj 1: having or showing arrogant superiority to and disdain of those one views as unworthy; "some economists are disdainful of their colleagues in other social disciplines"; "haughty aristocrats"; "his lordly manners were offensive"; "walked with a prideful swagger"; "very sniffy about breaches of etiquette"; "his mother eyed my clothes with a supercilious air"; "shaggy supercilious camels"; "a more swaggering mood than usual"- W.L.Shirer[syn: disdainful, haughty, lordly, prideful, sniffy, swaggering] 2: expressive of contempt; "curled his lip in a supercilious smile"; "spoke in a sneering jeering manner"; "makes many a sharp comparison but never a mean or snide one" [syn: sneering, snide]

Source: WordNet ® 1.6, © 1997 Princeton University

The way I read this definition describes the unknowns attitude? I have never heard of that word before I read this post and I doubt I will ever use it. Those words all sound like $10 but mean nothing more than you know some really big words. I know one to "supercalifragilistitexpialidocious!"

Clay, keep the posts coming. I like to hear of new techniques that I otherwise would not have thought to use.

speycast

6. Just for the sake of pure amusement, I decided to look at a random post placed by our good friend Chad within this topic and unearthed the following superb line:

"Besides - a 12inch whitie isn't much sport on my 4wt - yet alone my 8wt I use in the winter..."

Magnificent structure and placement Chad. Let us put that beauty next to the line you extracted from my abstract and have a good laugh shall we? I understand that we all do not have the ambition to finish formal education beyond ninth grade thus I feel your frustration and will be glad to help in any way I can.
    Rather - I - will be glad - to help in any - way - I can!

7. Clay, have I touched a nerve once more? Now don't go running away again because some of us have the gall to mock your approach and intent. Hell, if I thought your book would provide anything of interest (and be even moderately coherent) I would be willing to put forth seed money! As you know, there are numerous rubes out there (especially in the fly fishing world) who have stacks of moldy texts they have acquired over the years which have provided them with invaluable insights such as yours. Most never catch any fish, but they are secure with the knowledge that they would if they could only resist watching an eleventh viewing of 'Monster Garage - Breasted, Nitrous Butter Dish.'

Sharp Steelie tip #202: If your favorite river is flowing at 180K+ and bloated cows are bobbing on the surface you may want to consider a lake!:thumb

ChadK: "Wow, Clay! That's an amazing insight! I'll make certain to utilize it the next time I drag my ass away from this keyboard. Hmmm... June sounds great!"

8. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    When you have the balls to become 'uknown', then I'd be happy to have a 'discussion' with you. Until then feel free to keep up your 4th grade slamming and flaming - but don't expect anyone to actually read it...

9. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Media:
    Home Page:
    Clay, When I advised you to finish writing your book, (and stop talking about it), I didn't mean for you to do that here. That being said, I think some of your tips were pretty good. While I may not share your methods in entirety, I respect your experience as being at least as important to you as mine is to me.

I think it would be better for the overall tone of this forum if everyone tried to remember that old saying: "If you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything at all." Of course if you just HAVE to say something; there is a way to disagree and even to argue that is not disrespectful of the person, no matter how outrageous or wrong their position may seem to you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.