Kailua Kona, HI

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by frankrutledge, Feb 25, 2007.

1. I got in from Kona today and had a blast. Last Sunday I went to the grocery store to pick up cash and provisions for my Monday deep sea charter and ran into someone from my home town (West Seattle), we got to talking about the charter and he mentioned he didn't have one planned but would like to have, and guess what, he came on mine. My girlfriend got sea sick but was a totally trooper and the weather couldn't have been better. We didn't catch and Marlin but we gave it a good try. I'm not much of a gear guy anymore since fly fishing but shit, the reels on this boat must have been a foot in diameter. Two lines off the reel 130# test each. Some serious stuff. the average fight of a Marlin is in the hours reeling one in. Kona has some of the biggest in the world. Some reaching over 1,600 #'s. Wow, I had no idea.

As for the good stuff, fly fishing. I fished every day. It was difficult as the island is all rock, really. there is really no sandy beaches you can fish out of because that's where the people are. So I resorted to wading out as far as I could on the lava flows and got pounded by the surf, but I managed to catch a few in the interim. In all I hooked up 9 X's. I landed 7 of them, mostly reef fish, a lot like trout. One in particular hit my shit really hard. It was tough going though, each time I had a hook up I had to wait for a swell to bring it up high enough to un-button. I have the pictures developed and I"ll get them on CD tomorrow, so I can up load them. They are beautiful fish.

Anyway we swam with turtles and fish on reefs. hung out in the sun and ate like pigs. It was a nice get away. If you are looking for a great place to go, I recommend it, but for fly fishing, not so much.
    Overall, one of the best places I've been.

Here are a couple of pics of the charter. Me and my friends dad who I ran into 2,600 miles from home.
    A pic of the smaller reels.
    One of all of us including the crew and boat (41' Bertram w/ tuna tower)
    And one of many beautiful turtles along the beach.

Frank.

The caught fish will come tomorrow.

2. SteelieD

SteelieD Non Member

Media:
    Sounds like a great time Frank. Can't wait to see more photos.:thumb:

3. CovingtonFly

CovingtonFly B.O.H.I.C.A. bend over here it comes again

Media:
    Do the turtles taste good, or are they a bit chewy?

4. Covington,

The beak of the Turtle was tough but other wise......tastes like chicken!

F.

P.S. Derek, Heading to Costco to get photos.

5. sss

sss New Member

:beer2: from a fellow West Seattleite,

Thanks for the report. My wife and I are going in August for our anniversary. Were you fishing the beaches around Kona? We're staying on the north Kohala coast, did you try up there?

What size rod and flies did you use? I'm trying to decide between my 6 or 8wt., even though I know both will probably make the trip.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Marc

6. I am not sure but I think the Kohala coast is on the Kona side above (or north) of the airport right? If so, then yes, but the problem I found was the beaches where the sand and the bones are, are littered with people. Very tough back-casting with all those kids around. Still it's a dream to fish anywhere around that area.
    I have included a link that helped me a lot. This is from a guy who has been there many times and these are his logs. He starts out very negative but gets into more fish every-time he's there. He has maps and fly selections. Times to go and tide recommendations.

www.ucolick.org/~bolte/hawaii.html

I would bring some black egg sucking leeches with you, they did the most good for me. Do to the heavy reefs and lava floes bring a few of everything you think you'll need, because the hooks just latch onto the porous rock. I also would bring both rods, the 6wt. would be fun, but if you hit the right reef and get into some Jack's you'll need the 8wt and then some.
    We staryed at the Keahoe (sp) beach resort and the JW Marriott. One hotel south and one north, I like the sandy beaches north if as mentioned you can avoid snagging woman and children. the best times to miss people are obviously morning and night.
    Good luck,
    Frank.
    Sorry I didn't back to you sooner I was feeling great when I got right back from my trip then I got hit with the flu and have been in bed for the last 2.5 days.

7. sss

sss New Member

Frank,

Thanks for the info and link. I hope to be able to add to the knowledge base in August.

What part of W.S? I'm down Arbor Heights way.

Marc

8. Marc,
    Genessee Hill area.
    Frank.