Kalaloch Report

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by fmunoz, Apr 13, 2008.

1. fmunoz

fmunoz Member

I was at Kalaloch beach last friday, fishing for Surf Perch in low tide for a couple of hours using baitfish flies recommended by Leland at Orvis Bellevue, no bites, but I almost hooked a Sea Otter :).

This was the second I (try to) fish with a fly rod and I'm still waiting for my first fish. there wasn't any wind at all and I had a great time practicing my casting.

Still Waiting for my first fish...

Franklin

2. MasterAnglerTaylor

MasterAnglerTaylor Member

Media:
    These lakes need to open up. As for salt, that is my fault for not getting out :(

At least we are seeing signs of warmer weather and less wind.

3. Clint F

Clint F Fly Fishing Youth

Media:
    Home Page:
    I would recomend trying shrimp patterns. (peaches, reds, oranges, and pinks)

Clint

4. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

Media:
    If you search the california boards they have lots of advice on fishing the surf.
    I have never fished the WA ocean beaches but i would imagine that crabs are a primary food source. we used to fish little flies called gremmies down in CA. you might try them up here.

5. fmunoz

fmunoz Member

I guess my main question is how far/deep are the fish in, I waded waistdeep, but it's quite hard to keep in place as big waves tend to surprise you. I also tried casting fron ankle deep and knee deep water with no luck.

Another question is should I cast to the braking waves or to the relative calm between waves?

Thanks for all the answers.

6. Clint F

Clint F Fly Fishing Youth

Media:
    Home Page:
    The smaller the waves the closer they are and the bigger the waves the ferther they are from shore. I try to cast as far as I can for them.

Clint

7. ricklea1953

ricklea1953 New Member

Hang in there. I am about to take my first stab at fly fishing the salt also. I won't be fishing the surf but will be practicing my casting against the wind on puget sound beaches.

I have some "beach flies and wooley buggers" to get me started. Still need to buy some waders and wading boots this week.

Good luck and let me know how it goes,

Rick

8. Jefffly

Jefffly The more we know, the less we can learn!

There's a book by John Shewey called Northwest Fly Fishing Trout and Beyond that looks like a great book the first chapter is about surf perch learned about it on a post here not to long ago you can go to amazon.com and see a preview of the book. cant wait to try for some myself. I did go to salt creek this weekend and tried for SRC's but didnt have any luck.

9. Gertie's Pa

Gertie's Pa New Member

fmunoz,
    Keep moving. Surf perch are a schooling fish. Look for sand bars, depressions and conflicting currents. If you have never caught a fish with a fly rod, may I suggest bluegill or crappie. They'll be coming into the shallows for spawning very soon now and they are easy targets. Some measure of success is critical, especially for newcomers.

10. Peter Pancho

Peter Pancho Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    At beach #4, hike down the long trail, then walk on the sand far far right and fish off the big rocks into the deep small and big pools, use shrimp,long worm and crab patters with a floater and a split shot 20" above fly. You will find all kinds of fish in those pockets.

11. fmunoz

fmunoz Member

What lake do you recomend for these that has shore access? Most of the lakes I know are more adequate for gear that fly fishing.

Thanks,
    Franklin

12. quadradomus

quadradomus Member

Well, I know it's a long shot... but if you click on

and then move the video towards the last 30 seconds or so.... is the area that you are talking about at Beach #4? It looks kinda like a jetty.
    It's really a nice video though of kalaloch.

13. ricklea1953

ricklea1953 New Member

I don't think the youtube answer was what he was looking for. Just my opinion.

14. Peter Pancho

Media:
    Home Page:
    the rocks are on 1:06, just after where those surf fisherman are. have fun. super windy there. be careful, a woman died at ocean shores i believe the other day, got caught in the under-tow rip tide and drowned

15. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

No forget bring da longboard in case da fish ain't bitin'!! Sometimes the surf can be decent around there if you hit it right!

16. quadradomus

quadradomus Member

Peter,
    Thanks for the info. on that vid. I had a feeling that you might recognize something from it.:thumb:

17. Peter Pancho

Media:
    Home Page:
    Beach 4 is our families favorite beach in Washington. Back in the 70's and 80's we would limit 5 gal buckets of 3-5lb perch like crazy surf fishing with tube *****, and by the end of the day, limit out on smelt, it was crazy. No more days like those anymore. Washington is slowly depleting in every fish imaginable.

PS, back in the day, ocean shores was the same with the mad 5 gal buckets of fish, not anymore, really sad what it is now.

18. Randru

Randru Member

Media:
    Hey Peter,

Those 5 gal buckets wouldn't have anything to do with the low stocks you speak of would it? Maybe with real tight restrictions now we might be able to get the numbers back to those good old days.

19. salt dog

salt dog card shark

Media:
    Fmunoz, Red Tailed Perch do school and are always on the move. If the winds and waves were low, likely the fish were out further from the beach.

Typically I find the fish just behind the shore breaking waves, as they are interested in what food the wave is kicking up from the beach, and swing in and out, timing their scavenging with the wave action. I cast just over the top of the wave as it is breaking, into the smooth trough between the waves, angling 45 degrees or more into the trough.

Before fishing, spend some time observing the waves along the beach, preferably from a raised location to see what it tells you of the bottom structure. After a while, you should be able to see areas where the rollers coming in are not breaking: this signifies a deeper spot, and may hold fish, or may be used by the fish as a path through the underwater sand dunes to the beach. Also, watch for areas where the water from the waves collect along the beach and then consistently dump back into the ocean; a bit of a 'rip tide'. Again, the underwater structure of the beach is showing itself, and fishing alongside these areas are frequently productive.

These key places change depending on the tide height, so keep your eyes open and keep moving because the fish will be moving too.

Good luck.

20. Gertie's Pa

Gertie's Pa New Member

Randru ,
    I doubt a few anglers taking five gallon buckets of surf perch has much to do with apparent drops in surf perch populations. I drive the beaches often enough to know very few of us angle these wonderful fish. I do, however, see them stacked like cord wood on ice at pike place market. The upswing of the seal population is another huge detriment to their once plentiful numbers. I don't advocate taking "buckets full" but a few for the fryer is a good motivation to get out there.