Kalama River. Is it worth going for Quality Steelhead?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Peter Pancho, Oct 27, 2002.

1. Peter Pancho

Peter Pancho Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Hello, just needing information on the Steelhead in this River. haven't heard very much about it, just a little here and there about the Steelhead. Is it true that The Kalama is open to Flyfishing Only" Sept.1-Nov.1 ? Any of you guys fish it often? Thanks for the help.

"Follow Me and I will make you fishers of Men"
    Matthew 4:19

2. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    The Kalama does have a good run of steelhead. Used to fish it all the time when I was younger with my Dad. But only do a couple trips a year to it. I do believe the regs your read was refering to a section on the upper river that's fly fishing only. I don't believe the whole river is that way. If it was, you'd have a major revolt on your hands. LOL. But, I'd check water levels. Most rivers are dangerously low. Hell, the Hoh is lowest I think on reported record. Pretty sad.

3. Peter Pancho

Peter Pancho Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Why would Low be dangerous? I thought that low is good, due to it makes fish stack up in pools? Maybe dangerous for the fish, due to no water flow,etc. What do I know...

"Follow Me and I will make you fishers of Men"
    Matthew 4:19

4. BOBLAWLESS

BOBLAWLESS New Member

Personally I don't like low water. Steelhead are spooky enough with out adding low water. Here's some thoughts;
    1. Fish are extemely uncomfortable with low water and generally won't hit much.
    2. Low water streses the fish and you wonder if they need to be stressed even further.
    3. Snagging takes place more often in low water and always ruins my day.
    4 Fish pile up and can't get into the small tributaries were they spawn. Bad for future years.
    5. Predators other than man take their toll.
    6. Fish tend to stop migrating and confine themselves to the lower part of river where pressure is very high. Fights break out. Gear gets tangled.
    7. Flies don't drift correctly in very low water; seams are often absent.
    8. I am waiting for the water to come up and I think most other guys are waiting as well. But, by all mens, go ahead and fish. :pROFESSOR

5. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Dangerously low

Yes, a river can be dangerously low. I've never seen the rivers this low in my 25+ years fishing them. Low water is ok, but it's normally river coming into shape or slightly lowering that pools fish into pockets. You don't want a river so low that the fish stack up near the mouths of tribs or hang out in the tidal flux since they have nowhere to go. Nothing like seeing rotting fish half alive waiting to spawn in a trib. Then ending up barely going a few yards into their spawning stream to spawn and die. I personally watched a ton of fish at the mouth of the Satsop milling since the water at mouth was only less then ankle deep.

But as I said, dangerously low in sense that waters are way TOO low. Some are at a 40 year low (if not more). If even a small boat can barely drift down it, it's too low. Say it this way, I've never ever seen the Hoh unfishable in October. It's the first year since I've been fishing it (around 1976ish) that I've had to cancel an October trip because of too low of river (normally it's almost blown).

6. displacedcheesehead

displacedcheesehead New Member

The there is a section on the lower river from the gas pipeline to the lower hatchery that is flyfishing only until OCT 31