Kamloops B.C. area

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by NW_flyfisher, Jul 7, 2013.

1. NW_flyfisher

NW_flyfisher if it's not this, then what?

My buddy and I are going to the Merritt - Kamloops areas to fish a few of the many lake up there later this week. He has been there several times, not I. My buddy knows some basic flies that work up there, anyone have any suggestions? I heard the travelling sedge hatch may possibly still be happening. I am not a big chrono fan, but will give in to catch any Kamloops trout. All suggestions and fly photos will be welcome

2. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    I've hit the travelling sedge hatch at Peterhope on the first week of July. You may be a tad too late but maybe some of the Kamloops members can help out.

3. fly punk

fly punk lunatic trout bum

Ive been up there lots of times. You may be to late for the Sedges but Careys work well all the time. Leeches, Blk and Red. Of course, Chronies. BIG dragon fly nymphs will usually scare up some toads. Water Boatman are my favorite thing to fish up there but you ll be a bit early, though i always tend to pick up a few on a boatman no matter what time of year.

Mark Kraniger likes this.
  4. Ryan Singh-Cundy

Ryan Singh-Cundy Member

its getting later in the year now so the fish might be moving deeper, the lakes i fish are a ways north of kamloops at 3000' and usually by the second week of july they have moved deep but still get up into the shallows early and late for feeding. I would plan on fishing chrono's, damselflie nymphs, leech and minnow patterns, with the later two being primarily but not exclusively used in the deeper water. When i say deep i mean anything over 30', we usually find them suspended in 35-60 feet of water this time of year.

Mark Kraniger likes this.
  5. Gregg Lundgren

Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

Media:
    I'd venture to guess that one of the "basic" flies your buddy knows about for up there is a Doc Spratley. A classic!

6. ribka

ribka Active Member

water boatman, micro leeches, chronies, snail patterns , small clousers

most consistent for me 25 to 35 deep typically in July or deeper. bring a good depth finder.

7. ribka

ribka Active Member

And throw in a few diawl bach and mikulak sedge patterns

8. Starman77

Starman77 Active Member

In addition to the other suggestions, don't forget about taking your damselfly nymph, scud and callibaetis nymph patterns. Also, the Travelling Sedge hatch continues on, but usually at dusk for about 30 minutes, so be sure to fish until dark (take your headlamp). After the dusk sedge hatch ends, switch over to leech patterns as the leeches come out after dark.

Rex

9. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

There are some higher elevation lakes that fish well into summer, so you might start there. You could go up there every year for the rest of your life and not hit all the lakes in that region.

10. NW_flyfisher

NW_flyfisher if it's not this, then what?

thanks for all of your feedback, I really appreciate it!