Katadyn Water Filter Cleaning?

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by dryflylarry, Jun 3, 2011.

1. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +568 / 0
    Does anyone know if you can clean these water filters and how? Or do you just have to replace them. They're $40 approximately. Thanks pals.
  2. Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

Puyallup, WA
    Ratings: +347 / 5
    Cleaning pleated paper filters isn't recommended generally. But I know some penny-wise trail folks have done so. If you have a dishwasher with a warm (not hot) water setting, you can try it in there (DISCLAIMER: HOT water might melt the plastic parts. I have never done this myself, but have heard it works okay with WARM water -- you might another 20-30 liters of use from the filter).

Without a WARM water dishwater, you can try a soft bristle tooth brush and a high-pressure blast of WARM water in the sink.

My recommendation would be simply bite the bullet and replace it.
  3. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +568 / 0
    Yeah I know it's time to bite the bullet probably. Are you suppose to use diswasher soap in your dishwasher when you do it? A little unrelated, I soaked an air filter for my car in a bucket of dishwasher soap. Cleaned up pretty good, but takes a while to dry... ha! I don't imagine it would taste well if not rinsed well. Does washing break the filter down or just plain use?
  4. Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

Puyallup, WA
    Ratings: +347 / 5
    I wouldn't use dish soap, or if you do, use just a tiny bit -- you shouldn't have much (if any) oils trapped in the filter. It should just have particles/solids. So the pressure washing action is really what you are looking for.
  5. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +544 / 0
    I bought a Katadyn filter in '05 for my hike up the Elwha. I have only used it as few times since then, and not in the last two years.
    It still filters fine, but I'm wondering if the filter should be replaced after sitting unused all this time.
    I plan to get back into hiking more often, mainly on trails that head up into the back country along rivers and streams, exploring for trout. I should probably just go ahead and order a replacement filter.