Kauai in September

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Dipnet, Jun 4, 2013.

1. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +960 / 1
    I was over 3-4 years ago and saw small bonefish caught in the boat harbor from shore.
  2. Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Silverdale, WA
    Ratings: +370 / 0
    In Kukuila harbor?

I think the small Kukuila harbor itself is closed to fishing but perhaps you're referring to another harbor?

I was fishing on the outside of the breakwater.
  3. Tacoma Red Active Member

Kitsap
    Ratings: +292 / 0
    Talk to Jeff Delia (Delia's squid and many other great SRC patterns, as well as great oysterman, owner of Broadspit Oysters). He used to guide there.
  4. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA

It's the one right next to Lihue.
  5. Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Silverdale, WA
    That was probably either Nawiliwili Bay or maybe Hanamaulu Bay.
  6. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Nawiliwili was the name. I remember it now that you've reminded me.
  7. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +540 / 0
    I took a trip to Kauai with my parents and brother, not long after we first moved to Oahu. Stayed at the big hotel on Nawiliwili Bay. Can't remember the name of the hotel, maybe it was the Kauai Surf? I think it was in the summer of '67 or '68.
    Anyway, my brother and I saw some decent surf happening not far from the hotel, but we didn't have our surfboards along. No problem. We rented some funky old longboards from the hotel and paddled over into the line-up, where we proceeded to endear ourselves to the locals.:cool:
  8. David Loy Senior Moment

Wolf Bay
    Ratings: +318 / 1
    I fished with Jeff Delia once over there. He would only remember maybe because it BLEW steady well over 20kts into our face, with gusts in the 40kt range. I remember Jeff telling me to cast farther. Yeah, right. I still wish I'd handed him the rod, "show me". Still, I had fun with him, and a young fellow named Nigel (I think). Nigel could walk through 4' or 5' of water like it wasn't even there, and incredible fish sight.
  9. Jay Burman Experienced Ne'r do well and Layabout.

Snoqualmie, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    If you can gain access to Hickham AFB through adjacent Pearl Harbor NSY on Oahu there are some very good flats at the mouth of Pearl Harbor with almost no fishing pressure. Kauai also has some decent flats but I'm not as familiar with that island. Check with Nervous Water Fly Shop on Oahu before you go for up to date details.
  10. jersey livin' the dream

sonoma county
    Ratings: +69 / 0
    heading out thursday to kauai, will the 7wt be outgunned by fish and wind? also, thinking of a shooting head set-up I use for surf perch. any help/advice would be appreciated.
  11. Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Silverdale, WA
    Obviously I'm no expert on fishing Kauai but I think your 7 weight would do fine.

I used my Rio OB Short and it seemed to cast fine (but I did choose locations with either little wind or off-shore wind!)

Mingo is a lot more dialed in on fishing over there and his post in this thread seems to make it sound as if that rod would be adequate. Did you also see his post from yesterday about Hawaiian fishing? You can find it here: http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com.../sunshine-report-from-the-kohala-coast.92977/
  12. jersey livin' the dream

sonoma county
    Ratings: +69 / 0
    Thanks for the hit dipnet...appreciated it.