Kayak Cart Plans

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Tom Bowden, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Tom Bowden Active Member

Black Diamond, WA
    Ratings: +74 / 3
    At an MA 11 beach, I recently met a group of fly fishers who were interested in my home-made kayak cart. The cart is relatively easy to make from inexpensive parts, and is designed to come apart for storage in the hatch while you're out on the water. When you get back to the beach, it only takes a minute or two to re-assemble for the trip back to the parking lot. I've also used mine for the 8' boat I use for stillwater fishing.

In case anyone is interested, I thought I'd post a link to the plans and instructions I used. There are other plans available, and also some carts you can purchase.

http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/drupal/content/building-pvc-kayak-cart

Tom
  2. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +544 / 0
    That's a well-conceived cart. Nicely done. Breaking it down and stashing it below deck is a good idea.

I have a couple of carts, and I usually just run the one I'm using back to my rig, so I don't have to take it with me.
    I was going to lash my Wheeleez cart on the back cargo well of my Tarpon 14' SOT(have plenty of room) instead of running it back up, but now I'm trying to carry the absolute minimum of gear when I'm out fishing on that yak, so it can be righted very easily and quickly in case I capsize. I don't mind the extra round trip, as its a good workout for an old man. When I get back in to the beach, I run any fish I've kept up to my cooler, put 'em on ice, and grab the cart.
    I don't want any drag, or any heavy or bulky stuff hanging down on leashes if the yak is upside down. The design you posted allows stashing the broken-down cart inside the hold, and solves that problem. I only go out in my Tarpon for a few hours, usually, so I don't need too much gear.

I'm working on a new cart with 26" mountain bike wheels and balloon tires for going thru the tall marsh grass over uneven terrain.
  3. rory Go Outside

Maple Leaf, WA
    Ratings: +191 / 0
    I think that was me. Thanks for chatting. I will be building mine shortly.