Kayak Depth Finder?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by NukeLDO, Apr 22, 2013.

1. NukeLDO Member

West Richland, WA
    Ratings: +26 / 0
    Looking to outfit my sit-on-top fishing kayak with a depth finder to help with locating structure and fish on lakes that I'm not familiar with. Anyone out there done it? What did you end up buying, how did you mount the transducer, and what are you using for a power supply? Not interested in a clamp-on "fishing buddy" style finder and would like to find a 12V power source that isn't the size of car battery to run it off of.
  2. bigdood fishing hack

PDX, OR
    Ratings: +76 / 1
    I've got a Lowrance Mark 4 on my kayak. Had an Eagle Fishmark somethingorrather for a few years prior, the Lowrance is night and day difference. The below pic you can see my jig.

[IMG]

The battery is this 12V Cabelas battery I use http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...elas battery&WTz_l=Header;Search-All Products

For transducer mount I did the standard pool noodle + goop wet mount (google it, there's a ton of info) inside the hull. For mounting to your yak there are a ton of ways you can go, most of which are some variation of a Scotty or RAM mount. To run your cables there are also quite a few ways you can go - either just run them up from the hatch and between the gasket, strain relief valves or the newer Hobie cable routing kit (pretty slick).

If you want pics/add'l info on anything let me know.
  3. Scudley Do Right Member

Ratings: +21 / 0
  4. bigdood fishing hack

PDX, OR
    I was just looking online and it looks like Lowrance is having a $30 rebate deal on the Mark 4.
  5. Ron Olsen Member

Kirkland, WA.
    Ratings: +17 / 0
    Also have the Mark 4. Great unit. I have it mounted on a small plastic box that also holds/stores the cable, battery pack and transducer. Box goes in a side pouch on tube or pontoon. Doesn't get in way of rowing this way and close to see. The transducer has a rounded plastic plate mounted on it, and I put that on the bottom of the float tube or pontoon boat tucked into the strap for either the rod holder or my utility holder. The utility holder is a rear seat car hump cup holder modified with a zinger and an alumimum ashtray for cigars. Yea bad habit but somebody has to keep the central americans employed. Strap goes through the cup holder and around the tube. Power supply is a 10 AA cell holder. Use Sanyo Eneloop batteries, easily the best. They are honest 2500 mAh and 1.2 volts each, so 12 volts to the unit that will run in 8 to 17 volts range. The Mark 4 draws about 235 so they last about 10 hours on a charge.
  6. NukeLDO Member

West Richland, WA
    Ratings: +26 / 0
    Thanks for the info guys. Looks like I'll be checking out the Lowrance units.
  7. bigdood fishing hack

PDX, OR
  8. jwg Active Member

West Richland, WA
    Ratings: +81 / 0
    prior threads on finders for stillwater have included:

1. emphasis on 120 degree cone angle
    e.g. pond monkey said: " an extra wide cone is a huge feature.... and you don't need to pay a lot. Recent additions to the marketplace are the Garmin Echo 200 (120 degree cone) and the Lowrance X-4 Pro, also at 120 degrees....these wide cone units give the angler a huge information bump.... Especially in 15-20' or more they will mark many more fish and much further out from the boat and then you know the depth that they are cruising"

2. A battery was suggested by IveofIone:
    "I have the same finder on my pontoon boat and I power it with a UB1250 universal battery. It is 12v, it's dimensions are 3.5'' x 2.75'' x 4'' and it's weight is 3.2 #. It is a gel cell so there is no acid to leak and it can be mounted in any orientation. It sells on line for $8-$10. I have never run it down but if you have any fear of that just buy two.

9. ken2cross Member

Lake Stevens, Wa
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    Pick any fishfinder you like.

I did that and mounted the transducer to a suction cup from Lowes (less than $2)
    The small 12 volt battery came from Pacific Power Batteries. I already had a small motorcycle type charger. Mounted them on a plywood board and slipped a soft sided cooler over it. A small strap keeps it from moving around (I strap it to a seat in my drift boat.) It works great and can be moved from boat to boat with ease.