Kayak fisherman hit by boat.

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Stonefish, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,260 / 1
    This isn't flyfishing, but some folks here use their kayaks for fishing so I thought I'd post this. This happended in Oregon.
    A few more inches and this could have been very bad. He kept his composure and did a smart thing taking a picture of the boat.

2. NewTyer1 Banned or Parked

Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Ratings: +29 / 1
    Nice, and they just drive away! What the hell
  3. Sagebrush Member

portland, or
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    I think in the comments on you tube by the kayaker, they went downstream to retrieve his paddle and other gear
  4. NewTyer1 Banned or Parked

Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Ratings: +29 / 1
    Well, I hope that's the case. That is the least they could do. Hell, if I had hit the kayaker, I would be whipping out my wallet, just so I don't get sued.
  5. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +539 / 0
    As a kayak angler, I'd rather be fishing from my 16' john boat in that kind of "big water, high traffic" environment, rather than from my kayak. Just for that reason.

On the smaller coastal rivers that I usually fish, it seems that the boat operators are more aware of what's going on around them (probably due to the tighter maneuvering room and all the deadheads and submerged wood).
    However, I almost got run over in the early morning fog once, on the Willapa River when I was heading upstream around a blind corner in my old square stern canoe, without any lights. Power boat came roaring around the corner and saw me at the last minute and throttled down, just missing me and nearly swamping me with his wake. Having a light on my canoe might have helped them see me sooner.

Generally, I go to extreme efforts to always avoid high traffic situations. I prefer solitude and the absence of any power boats, and have zero tolerance for urban or mechanical noise when I go paddling. That way, I don't have to deal with jackasses like the idiots who ran over that yak angler in the vid.
  6. Krusty Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +597 / 0
    Makes me want to stick one of those poles with a strobe in one of the rear rod holders in my yak. There's always a fair percentage of powerboat 'captains' piloting their craft totally shitfaced, and anything that makes a low profile boat such as a kayak more visible to such dumbasses might help.

Fortunately, I tend to kayak in waters that are either regulated for no powerboats...or where driving one of the damn things in shoal water is dangerous.
  7. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +652 / 5
    Unfortunately, this crap happens all the time. No matter HOW much you make yourself visible. Was low light, and I was on anchor OUT of the lane of traffic on the lower Chehalis (near Sand Islands) with all our NAV lights out and ON. Mind you, sun was on it's way up, so wasn't pitch black and plenty of visibility. We almost got clipped in our jet boat. Thankfully for us, they were in an older glass boat, but you could see look in guys face when he looked up to see us (we were sounding our horn and yelling at him to turn). Some guys are just oblivious to EVERYTHING. It's sad. Also saw MANY a near misses on rivers like the Hump, Nooch, Sop, where guys running up on their sleds weren't watching for those in front of them on anchor, or boats coming downstream under oar power.
  8. Bill Aubrey Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +165 / 0
    Yeah, makes floating the Cowlitz before (or after) daylight dicey with all the power boats. Hmmmm. Maybe a flare gun--not to shoot in the air or over dry woods, but directly at the jackass in the powerboat.:mad:
  9. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +652 / 5
    Why I only float barrier down to blue creek. Not as much sled traffic.
    Blake Harmon likes this.
  10. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,728 / 0
    I run the Skagit in a sled and find far more jackasses in kyaks and canoes then in power boats. I don't how many times I have been flipped off by idiots in kyaks when I pass them on the river. I do everything in my ability while keeping myself and my boat safe to safely pass these boneheads to the point of shutting down and letting them have the prefered slot in the river. What I find is they have little to no understanding of how a sled works and that it must stay on plane to travel over and maneuver in shallow water and they seem to have little respect for other users of the river. One of these days some eagle gawking jackass in a kyak is going to flip me off when I am having a bad day and I am going to purposefully swamp his sorry ass. I can honestly say if anyone shoots at my boat while I am running the river they are going to be very sorry they did.
  11. Landon Member

Longview,Washington
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I was anchord in my clackacraft on the cowlitz and got hit by a dumbass guy in a jet boat and he drove off!