Kayak opinions

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Blktailhunter, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Nice boat and setup Eyejuggler. I agree with you about paddling. There is something soothing and almost meditative about paddling across large expanses of water.

2. I really considered those, but for what I plan to do with one & where I plan to use it, the NuCanoe 12' Solo Angler (plus dog) is winning. Nice boat, tho.

3. I've been searching for a fly fishing boat (raft, kayak, SUP, etc). I've heard and read very good things about the following boats that are supposed to be very stable for stand up fly casting:

Wilderness Systems Commander
    Native Ultimate
    Freedom Hawk Pathfinder (designed with open water in mind)
    and (as Jim Ficklin mentioned) NuCanoe.

Haven't been able to paddle these, but they look promising.

With that being said, Kentucky doesn't have any ocean tides to consider :)

Raymond

P.S. Here's a photo from the Freedom Hawk website

xhdr_products-pathfinder.jpg

4. Sorry - when I replied to this thread yesterday, I didn't realize it was in a saltwater forum (I did a search in WFF for kayak).

Knowing now this is in the saltwater forum, here's some information that may be of interest about a new wilderness systems offshore fishing kayak that's in development:

5. 2000 bucks for a boat you can't pee out of

Chris Johnson likes this.
  6. The freedom hawk is kind of a slug in the water from my experience, and I do not like non bailing (unscuppered) fishing kayaks in the saltwater. The not being able to pee out of the boat is not an issue in any of the mentioned Natives. The peddle ones you can lift the hatch and even woman can pee out of them.

porterHause likes this.
  7. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394777549.789026.jpg

For me, fly fishing from an SUP is the only way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poff likes this.
  8. The boats with peddle drives, can you easily pull them out and use a paddle while on the water? For the times when you do get into some weeds.

9. You can paddle a peddle yak, no problem. The mirage drive units pop out really easy. Peeing from a drive yak is a little awkward but, necessity make many things possible.

I currently have a 13' Hobie Revolution which is fast and relatively light. If your legs get tired paddle for a while and vice versa. No reverse and that is a drawback but, you can still grab the paddle to go backwards.

Last year I picked up a Ocean Kayak Torque which has a removable electric trolling motor. It's a lot heavier than the Revo or the OC Trident that the Torque is modeled after. The trolling motor really helps if you want to think more about fishing than propulsion. (Be forewarned that electric yaks are the scorn of traditional kayakers.)

For low cost and effective traditional paddle yak it's hard to beat the 13' OC Trident. A great fishing machine and you can find them on sale for $700 to $800.

I've found that a 13' yak is ideal for both salt and fresh water. The longer the yak the easier it moves but, too long and turning becomes an issue. A rudder is big help. Weight is a issue to consider both on and off the water. If you buy something like the Hobie Mirage Pro Angler 14 you should plan on trailering it. You won't like it if you have to load it on top of your car or truck.

NWKA (Northwest Kayak Anglers) is a great resource for kayak fishing.

10. A friend of mine recently told me that he is selling his Hobie "Adventure Island." Its the 16' Hobie Adventure with the outriggers and sail rig. The sailing rig (has roller furling) and outriggers can be removed, leaving just the 16' pedal driven hull, which is basically the same thing as a 16' Hobie Adventure. He's had it stored in his garage for about 3 or 4 years, and has only taken it out twice. He no longer has a motor vehicle, and when he did have a Ford van, he found it a hassle to get the thing off and back on the roof racks when he got to the launch. He had a hoist system above his van in his garage, at first.
    Plus, he thought it took too long to rig it up. So he never really used it. Thus, he is selling it. He bought it from the original owner, who also hardly ever used it, for similar reasons. It is bright red. Its a 2006 model. Has hardly sen any use.
    I'll check later this afternoon and see if its still available, and what price he's asking.
    These Adventure Islands are really wet rides when sailing them. In our cold waters,I would suggest a full dry suit to go along with it. If I lived someplace warmer, I might be interested in it, but I'd haul it on a trailer.

EDIT: My friend has his Adventure Island listed on Craigslist, Seattle, and is asking $2,000 for it.